ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #8326
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bubba Bauer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Lower Mitcham SA
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonescratchin View Post
Thinking of doing a ride down at the beach at Goolwa in coming weeks.

Need to get in some practice on soft sand with the Big Girl.

Will post a date on case anyone's interested. Could finish off with a ride down the Fleurieu or back of Meadows.

Dec 8-9 First weekend off in a looong time if that suits you

just helping out selecting the week and BTW I`ve got a heavy object lifting permit .
__________________
Bubba Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #8327
baldtire
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: south aus barossa valley
Oddometer: 101
KIngoonya Pub

Looks like its open again.
baldtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #8328
Desert Hack
git 'r done
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 38
Hi Robbo

Welcome (back?) to Adelaide.
What a ride! Just had a quick look at the blog. That is some serious adventure. Well done!

I couldn't help but notice your mention of the Simpson Desert. I guess it is kind of sacrelidge to mention 4 wheelers on this site but what the hell.
I drove one of two support vehicles for three riders across the Simpson in mid October and it was a tough gig because I had picked up my new Tenere 660 just weeks before our departure. I was itching to ride but as it turned out, the extra support vehicle was a handy thing. We had one bike on board (KTM 990) following a hard 'off' (broken collar bone and 6 ribs) and the 40 plus daytime temps took a toll on the last two riders. Left two perfectly good BMW650's on the side of the track at the 'Mincer'. (20 km west of Poeppels corner) Went on to Birdsville and dropped off unnecessary people and gear and went straight back out to recover the Beemers.
All good in the end but ever since, I have been itching to do the ride myself sometime. The desert is now closed over summer until mid March? I think but would like to catch up with like minded people for a ride West to East (or East to West) in 2013.
I am new to Adventure Riding but have had a series of dirt bikes and a lone road machine (TDM 900) in the past. I am quite familiar with the Simpson Desert but have never ridden a bike right across. Bit of cattle mustering on the western side at Adria Downs Station and numerous 4x4 trips across. If you or anyone else on the SA ADV site is interested, give me a shout.
I would also like to catch up with anyone doing some local rides, to tag along and get to know anyone interested in a Simpson Desert ride in 2013 when the desert opens for traffic again.

Cheers
Desert Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #8329
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldtire View Post
Looks like its open again.
When are we going
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #8330
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hack View Post
Welcome (back?) to Adelaide.
What a ride! Just had a quick look at the blog. That is some serious adventure. Well done!

I couldn't help but notice your mention of the Simpson Desert. I guess it is kind of sacrelidge to mention 4 wheelers on this site but what the hell.
I drove one of two support vehicles for three riders across the Simpson in mid October and it was a tough gig because I had picked up my new Tenere 660 just weeks before our departure. I was itching to ride but as it turned out, the extra support vehicle was a handy thing. We had one bike on board (KTM 990) following a hard 'off' (broken collar bone and 6 ribs) and the 40 plus daytime temps took a toll on the last two riders. Left two perfectly good BMW650's on the side of the track at the 'Mincer'. (20 km west of Poeppels corner) Went on to Birdsville and dropped off unnecessary people and gear and went straight back out to recover the Beemers.
All good in the end but ever since, I have been itching to do the ride myself sometime. The desert is now closed over summer until mid March? I think but would like to catch up with like minded people for a ride West to East (or East to West) in 2013.
I am new to Adventure Riding but have had a series of dirt bikes and a lone road machine (TDM 900) in the past. I am quite familiar with the Simpson Desert but have never ridden a bike right across. Bit of cattle mustering on the western side at Adria Downs Station and numerous 4x4 trips across. If you or anyone else on the SA ADV site is interested, give me a shout.
I would also like to catch up with anyone doing some local rides, to tag along and get to know anyone interested in a Simpson Desert ride in 2013 when the desert opens for traffic again.

Cheers


I would be interested in a desert crossing if it was supported, theres no way I'm riding across there with ten tons of gear on me bike.
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #8331
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Oh yeah will be going to KI in Febuary if anyone is interested, is about $160 return for the ferry one person and bike, temperatures should be about 10 degrees less over there than here so good summer trip, one, two or maybe even three nights depending on what time people can get off.
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #8332
PBee
______________
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Oh yeah will be going to KI in Febuary if anyone is interested, is about $160 return for the ferry one person and bike, temperatures should be about 10 degrees less over there than here so good summer trip, one, two or maybe even three nights depending on what time people can get off.
I'm planning the same thing in the new year with a few of us.

Post plenty of photos when ya get back.
__________________


QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #8333
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev
 
Aussie Trev's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Gawler, South Australia
Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Oh yeah will be going to KI in Febuary if anyone is interested, is about $160 return for the ferry one person and bike, temperatures should be about 10 degrees less over there than here so good summer trip, one, two or maybe even three nights depending on what time people can get off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
I'm planning the same thing in the new year with a few of us.

Post plenty of photos when ya get back.
The entertainment book has a 25% off voucher for travel to KI. Used it myself in Sept. I thought that the terrain and options would be great over there for a few days...
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1982 PE175Z
Full member......Quorn Schnitzel Club

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #8334
PBee
______________
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 8,542
"Oh yeah will be going to KI in Febuary if anyone is interested"

Actually I missread that...

If'n ya gunna go over in Feb maybe we should set a date & work towards it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check this out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1851
__________________


QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #8335
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
"

If'n ya gunna go over in Feb maybe we should set a date & work towards it
Yep, I can go anytime in Feb so can just work around others if they want to set a date.
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #8336
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda
 
OzJuJu's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SA, land of chocolate
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Yep, I can go anytime in Feb so can just work around others if they want to set a date.
If I am with bike and thumb is ok then count me in
__________________
XT660Z '11
TTR250 Open Enduro '98
OzJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #8337
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJuJu View Post
If I am with bike and thumb is ok then count me in


Cool
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #8338
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 601
Shit sorry, that was completely bloody thoughtless of me to use the thumbs up smiley.
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #8339
gonescratchin
aka Fipsy
 
gonescratchin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: McLaren Vale, South Australia
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
Dec 8-9 First weekend off in a looong time if that suits you

just helping out selecting the week and BTW I`ve got a heavy object lifting permit .
G'Day Bubba,

Going to be difficult to do before Xmas - just about working 7 days a week at the moment, but should be good shortly after.

As for the lifting permit, OzJuJu will testify that I've got lifting the big girl down pat! (Yes, it was in thick sand, and 'Yes', that's why I want to get some more sand time in!!)
gonescratchin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #8340
barneyrubble
Just tired
 
barneyrubble's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: 34.9290 S, 138.6010 E
Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Oh yeah will be going to KI in Febuary if anyone is interested, is about $160 return for the ferry one person and bike, temperatures should be about 10 degrees less over there than here so good summer trip, one, two or maybe even three nights depending on what time people can get off.
Would love to join in on this but have already used up my feb leave passes for world super bikes.
__________________
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
barneyrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014