cheers fatty
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #9513
Desert Hack
git 'r done

Oddometer: 38
Wicked About 40 more sleeps......

Hey all,
Not sure about my calendar 'rithmetic but April 30 will see me on the road to the Simpson Desert. Going with a mate who will be driving a Toyota traytop for fuel, food, water etc. Why lug all that stuff around on the bike when there is no need?
Trailer bike Adelaide to Marree, two wheels to Oodnadatta and beyond.
Dalhousie, Purni Bore, Lone Gum via Rig Road, Knolls Track, French Line, Poeppels Corner, Birdsville, Marree, Tenere onto trailer and back to Adelaide on May 6.

Have mentioned this trip on SA ADV before but no takers, so it looks like it will just be one Tenere and one Toyota traytop.

Probably for the best though because based on the results of a couple of outings with MasterBrewer and some other inmates, I am going to be falling over a lot in the sand (and they tell me there is a little bit of sand between Dalhousie and Birdsville via the Simpson Desert). I'd probably be just holding others up a lot, waiting for me to get upright again.

Anyway, if anyone has about a week or so off at that time and is interested in coming along for a casual (not necessarily easy) ride; or 4 x 4 drive across, give me a yell. It could be quite a hoot seeing how many times I can manage to pick myself up.

My style of riding is tending toward 'take it easy and you might just get there' so the trip sure won't be at race speed......... I just feel the need to give it a whirl.

Cheers
Desert Hack
Desert Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #9514
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 770

Did anyone from here buy this from Manheim yesterday? I have some extra keys for it if you need em
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #9515
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hack View Post
Hey all,
Not sure about my calendar 'rithmetic but April 30 will see me on the road to the Simpson Desert. Going with a mate who will be driving a Toyota traytop for fuel, food, water etc. Why lug all that stuff around on the bike when there is no need?
Dalhousie, Purni Bore, Lone Gum via Rig Road, Knolls Track, French Line, Poeppels Corner, Birdsville, Marree, Tenere onto trailer and back to Adelaide on May 6.

Have mentioned this trip on SA ADV before but no takers, so it looks like it will just be one Tenere and one Toyota traytop.

Probably for the best though because based on the results of a couple of outings with MasterBrewer and some other inmates, I am going to be falling over a lot in the sand (and they tell me there is a little bit of sand between Dalhousie and Birdsville via the Simpson Desert). I'd probably be just holding others up a lot, waiting for me to get upright again.

Anyway, if anyone has about a week or so off at that time and is interested in coming along for a casual (not necessarily easy) ride; or 4 x 4 drive across, give me a yell. It could be quite a hoot seeing how many times I can manage to pick myself up.

My style of riding is tending toward 'take it easy and you might just get there' so the trip sure won't be at race speed......... I just feel the need to give it a whirl.

Cheers
Desert Hack
What bike are you riding D Hack?
Would have loved to come along but earning capacity can't take a break at the moment.

So wanting to do the Simpson....what a great adventure!.....Good Luck mate.
P.S. one word of advice..... fit a steering dampener if you don't have one!
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #9516
Desert Hack
git 'r done

Oddometer: 38
Steering damper?????

Hey LC4,

I ?ride? a late model Tenere (small black one) and while it does weigh a bit with full fuel, it won't be carrying anything else but me and the fuel so it should be a bit easier.
I'm planning for as few as possible but not overly hopeful because Mr Sand and me don't have a fantastic history thus far.

Steering damper??? the only steering dampers I have, or are ever likely to have are the ones that reside beyond my shoulder joints. If Mr Fuji from Yamaha is too tight to put ém on, or thinks it is not needed, I reckon I can do without 'em. A steering damper might make life a bit easier but what's life without a challenge or two.

I hear the bit about income streams though. Gotta make it to spend it. Just means I will be working my butt off when I get back, to top up the account again.

Cheers

Desert Hack
Desert Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #9517
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hack View Post
Hey all,

Cheers
Desert Hack
So close. Can't quite make that date would have loved to have joined in though. Maybe next time
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #9518
PBee

Oddometer: 8,718
I had to go to Lock 1 today for work & the wind picked up while we were there.

Here's the return journey:

Looking back from Observation hill

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #9519
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
Do you work for SA Water..PB..
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #9520
PBee

Oddometer: 8,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
Do you (Do) work for SA Water..PB..
Yep, we service the Carp freezers.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #9521
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
nice pics..good job..maybe ya pullin me leg..reason I asked was I have a friend who's a system controller..I went on a Simpson trip with her and husband....you can have some of our rain..pouring down all day..
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #9522
rabrd001
Solo Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Easter long weekend

Hi all,

just logged on after a long time away, anyone planning a ride over Easter? if so where, when.. bla bla?

Cheers Rob
Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #9523
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrd001 View Post
Hi all, just logged on after a long time away, anyone planning a ride over Easter? if so where, when.. bla bla? Cheers Rob
G'day Rob,

Uni finished? Are you a doctor yet

You'll probably find that most of the usual crew are prepping for the FlindersClassicVI
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #9524
BTBW 01
BTBW 01

Oddometer: 56
SA ADV Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBW 01 View Post
SA ADV Riders

Anyone wish to join us on 8/9 day ride to Cameron Corner!!!
Leaving 20 April, heading north from Adelaide to CC then returning via Arkaroola back to Adelaide.
Official starting (meeting piont) will be Renmark.
Full loop is +/- 3000km.
Riders must carry fuel for 450km stretch.
Carry own spares, food & water also camping gear.

3 ADV riders are signed up so far.
PM me if interested.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #9525
berty
the new guy

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrd001 View Post
Hi all,

just logged on after a long time away, anyone planning a ride over Easter? if so where, when.. bla bla?

Cheers Rob

Four of us are taking off to vic & nsw itinary is padthaway, broadford, back of lake eildon to mansfield, bright mt hotham to omeo, corryong cabramurra, jinderbyne, bombala . bonang, seldom seen ,buchan, lakes entrance, yarram, sorrento and back on the great ocean road and if i get back in time the flinders classic
berty is offline   Reply With Quote