NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
Hi NotHome

Welcome to the nuthouse.

I have added comments in orange. I will update as I think of things. See below

Look forward to catching up on a ride some day. Good bunch of blokes here. You won't go wrong.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I just looked at the Zeus 2100B and I had not seen before. Looks good so it is in my must consider list.
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #1367
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHome
Hi all
After a long layoff of 23 years I am about to get back into riding. A mate I have not seen for a few years came to visit me on his bike, I went for a ride and the bug got me again. I then found this site and my passion for adventure was rekindled. To get me started I am after some advice so I can use the next 6 months improving my riding skills and gathering all of the gear required.

Background
I am very late 30s, OK early 40s , 65 and about 115kg (but coming down) and live in Tea Tree Gully. I started as a kid riding MX, trail bikes and 3 wheelers on family fruit blocks in the Riverland but had very little experience riding on the road. My main riding will be done in the periods of Sept/Oct March as I am tidied up with football and it is extremely difficult to find time thru winter.

Who I will be riding with
A mate (DR650) and in the next few years hopefully my 2 sons who are 12 (almost 13) and 16 as they like camping and having looked at the pictures on this site want to come along. I also hope to do many rides with the guys here, especially MasterBrewer as I have been known to visit the odd bakery. Also another one of my mates loves his 4 wheel drive and has been all thru the North of the State, so it looks like I have my road crew for some trips.

Type of Rides
I will start out with day rides for the first few months and then move to 2-3 day rides. Ultimately I would like to do a tour around Australia and also some 1 2 weeks tours. I thought the 1 and 2/3 day rides would get me used to the bike and the new gear as more is purchased over the next 6 months.

Budget
$10k and whatever I get for birthdays, Christmas etc (so maybe $12k). Would have been more but also have a $20k school fee bill this year with all 3 kids in High School.

The Details
Bike Looking at buying a new DR650 (nice shiny black one). Thought this was a good bike to start with and in the next 3 - 4 years when my youngest son can ride I can pass down. At this stage only looking to add a Bash Plate and Bark Busters and add the other luggage items later.

Helmet Not sure at this stage as I am a bit confused. I like the looks of the Flip Helmets but I am not sure of their durability. I was looking at either a HJC Sy-Max II (flip) or HJC IS-16 (full face). Anyone got any suggestions and also the best place to buy.

Gloves I have not given it much thought yet but maybe DriRider Adventure Mens Gloves Black.

Boots I think this is like a helmet in that what 1 person thinks is comfortable another hates. Anyway way I have no idea what is good.

Jacket - I like the look of the DriRider Alpine 2009 Mens Black Jacket.

Pants Thought I would see what Dri Rider had to go with the Jacket.

GPS Definitely not needed until later, anyway would like a device that tracks where I have been so I can use for future reference and the ability to load up proposed trips from a file.

Swag or Tent? I notice most of you use a tent/sleeping bag and not a swag. I assume this is for space reasons.

Luggage Was looking at a Pannier Rack http://www.amcr.com.au/accessories.htm and maybe some Gearsacks.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

PS Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I wanted to target South Aussie riders who know what products suit our climate and the best place to buy from.

Cheers
gday I feel like I have known you for years after reading all that
Old 12-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #1368
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHome
Hi all
After a long layoff of 23 years I am about to get back into riding. A mate I have not seen for a few years came to visit me on his bike, I went for a ride and the bug got me again. I then found this site and my passion for adventure was rekindled. To get me started I am after some advice so I can use the next 6 months improving my riding skills and gathering all of the gear required.

Cheers
Mate, you sound as impatient as I was in the same boat a few years ago. Tell you what, go and grab that DR, get some dirt tyres on it, get your jacket, gloves and helmet and chuck some jeans on and get yourself out with these guys on some great rides. Just buy cheap crap for now, it'll make good spares later on. You'll soon work out what suits and what you like.

We can do some rides with novice options (all been there - I still am) and you can get your confidence and knowledge levels up, if that's required.

Start looking at boots though, the protection gear has gone up a few cogs since joggers, denim and Golden Breed jumpers were all the go.

My DR has almost got everything that opens and shuts, including better suspension, and it's just a great bike to ride on trails and the smile doesn't leave my face.....it owes me less than $10k. If you're serious about buying one and look like paying more than $7500 including ORC, let me know. (I'm 6'4 and 110 kgs and slowly going up)

Cheers and welcome - you are about to become obsessed.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 12-25-2009 at 07:40 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #1369
Gateshutter
Exiled

Golden Breed jumpers were all the go.

haha love it I actually still Have a golden breed jumper, bought right out the factory at Osullivans beach area years ago,

just remembered why I'm here I found a good road this morning near marble hill ruins just wondering if anybody on here has been on it, great views interesting old Peugeot collections all over the place steep and windy in parts its called Blockers road
Old 12-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1370
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev
Mate, you sound as impatient as I was in the same boat a few years ago. Tell you what, go and grab that DR, get some dirt tyres on it, get your jacket, gloves and helmet and chuck some jeans on and get yourself out with these guys on some great rides. Just buy cheap crap for now, it'll make good spares later on. You'll soon work out what suits and what you like.

We can do some rides with novice options (all been there - I still am) and you can get your confidence and knowledge levels up, if that's required.

Start looking at boots though, the protection gear has gone up a few cogs since joggers, denim and Golden Breed jumpers were all the go.

My DR has almost got everything that opens and shuts, including better suspension, and it's just a great bike to ride on trails and the smile doesn't leave my face.....it owes me less than $10k. If you're serious about buying one and look like paying more than $7500 including ORC, let me know. (I'm 6'4 and 110 kgs and slowly going up)

Cheers and welcome - you are about to become obsessed.
I was looking at buying the bike in early Feb when I take a few weeks leave. Thought I would do a few rides with the stock tyres to break in the bike and then put on some Dunlop 606's. Sounds like your $7,500 is pretty good as the best I have found so far $7,700 but I have not pushed hard yet for a deal.

Golden Breed brings back memories along with a pair of Adidas Rome's.
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #1371
PBee

Oddometer: 8,546
See Roger Kessner for a good deal on a bog stocker

or

http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/dr.html

Vince does a DR complete with mods and sent to where ever you are.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #1372
iam726
Ulysses

Oddometer: 24
Question Where's the Next RIDE ? ? ? ? ? ?

G'Day All...
Sorry to bug you guys but is anybody going for ride through the Adelaide Hills in the next two weeks ? ? ?
Just looking for a short day ride for a return to bikes kind of guy.
OK thats it for now.

Ride Safe
IAM726.....
Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #1373
twisted 1
ULYSSES

Oddometer: 65
Great Ride Today

Went out for a ride to Mannum today with the missus, headed up to Mt. Pleasant first for a quick Farmers Union, then on towards Springton before turning along Burns rd and then on to Cookes Hill rd and through the Gap to Long Gully rd and on to Mannum, was great on the lawn by the river, not as busy as I expected. Back up Long Gully rd and on to Three Chain rd (magic) and on to Pine Hut rd, now this rd was alot rougher than the last time I went along it but was still fun. Then we went along Jutland rd towards Springton and some cool dry weather only tracks and back to Williamstown for a comfort stop and then back behind Para Wirra and on to home for a bourbon or two to debreif
Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #1374
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted 1
Went out for a ride to Mannum today with the missus, headed up to Mt. Pleasant first for a quick Farmers Union, then on towards Springton before turning along Burns rd and then on to Cookes Hill rd and through the Gap to Long Gully rd and on to Mannum, was great on the lawn by the river, not as busy as I expected. Back up Long Gully rd and on to Three Chain rd (magic) and on to Pine Hut rd, now this rd was alot rougher than the last time I went along it but was still fun. Then we went along Jutland rd towards Springton and some cool dry weather only tracks and back to Williamstown for a comfort stop and then back behind Para Wirra and on to home for a bourbon or two to debreif
Sounds good, did you take the XR or XL ? I'm thinking of taking the Triumph out tomorrow & the XR Monday out towards High Eden & back

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #1375
Gateshutter
Exiled

Cool2

I'm Going out for a ride tomorrow, not sure where yet but will keep my eyes open for anyone from here, probably head up into the hills somewhere for an easy ride, my back Tyre is shot again so will be just cruising around looking for a bakery.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #1376
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter
I'm Going out for a ride tomorrow, not sure where yet but will keep my eyes open for anyone from here, probably head up into the hills somewhere for an easy ride, my back Tyre is shot again so will be just cruising around looking for a bakery.

Might see you out there.

I've got some friends down from Brisbane and am taking one of his boys out for a spin. We'll be on the DR and a DRZ, hoping to be at the Williamstown Bakery around 9.30 - 10.00, after a Concordia, Rosedale, Yaldara, Trial Hill ride out, and then a run out to Para Wirra and back into Gawler via dirt trails.
Give us a wave if you see us.
cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 12-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #1377
Gateshutter
Exiled

Quote:
Might see you out there.

I've got some friends down from Brisbane and am taking one of his boys out for a spin. We'll be on the DR and a DRZ, hoping to be at the Williamstown Bakery around 9.30 - 10.00, after a Concordia, Rosedale, Yaldara, Trial Hill ride out, and then a run out to Para Wirra and back into Gawler via dirt trails.
Give us a wave if you see us.
cheers
I was actually thinking of going to williamstown bakery,
Old 12-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #1378
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter
I was actually thinking of going to williamstown bakery,
I'm home, without incident, other than the Bakery wasn't open and nor was the servo, so we made for Cockatoo Valley for some urgent fuel requirements. Great morning for a ride but starting to warm up now!

"Just having a crack"
Old 12-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #1379
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
I'm home, without incident, other than the Bakery wasn't open and nor was the servo, so we made for Cockatoo Valley for some urgent fuel requirements. Great morning for a ride but starting to warm up now!
Went up to Williamstown for 9.30...no sign of you stayed & talking to Gateshutter until around 10.30...had a feeling the bakery might be closed (it was last year)...nice day for a ride.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #1380
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
They obviously knew Masterbrewer is OS so no point opening.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote