Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #151
harnas
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My e-starter whistles loud and it turns itself around itself instead of firing the engine. Only can start when the engine is hot.
Thanks for advice.
harnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #152
padjo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
LC04 Starter

I would like to thank subscriber for tip on starter clutch I have just repaired my Sons LC04 Starter Clutch.I ran into one problem Luckily I bought 2 SKF seals. I used one to repair clutch an even though the engine was turning over ok there was still a noise, on dismantleing clutch I found the new spring loose in places I traced problem to the fact that there was a burr where the spring sat in some places I removed all parts and cleaned them up with a fine flat file checking that the spring sat in ok. On reassembly all was ok
padjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #153
harnas
n00b

hi

I report it's done. The worst thing was a lack of tools. The metal spring was just stretched a little.

Here is a short summary for all of you:

* used buzzetti M33P1.5 flywheel puller. The flywheel nut needs a nice shot to move.

* replaced metal spring from 56x70x7 seal. Best fit. The new spring diameter is 1.5mm, the old one was 1.5mm. I took 56 because 50 could be stretched too much and reduce it's life.

E-starter is running like factory new. Thanks guys and special thanks to Losiu. You saved a lot of money. New starter clutch costs 100EU on auctions.

I owe you a beer.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #154
losiu OP
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 572
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnas View Post

...Thanks guys and special thanks to Losiu. You saved a lot of money. New starter clutch costs 100EU on auctions.

I owe you a beer.
...so you're telling me you saved like 95EUR and you only bought me ONE beer ???
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #155
harnas
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiu View Post
...so you're telling me you saved like 95EUR and you only bought me ONE beer ???
think I used a wrong word. it's not like save just to save. I should write waste instead. Who likes to waste the cash. I can only imagine how much beer is it for 100eu Enough to throw a nice party I guess :)

cheers
Old 03-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #156
trussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
after a month of kickstarting the beast, and a bit of research, thx to the guys on here, i have just replaced parts 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the picture below.

The sprag was shagged, as mentioned in this post, with the spring completely busted up, and the teeth on the clutch just fell out.

I was initially only going to replace the sprag clutch #7, but my mechanic took one look at 6 and 8 and where the clutch had been engaging on their running surfaces, there was too much wear and tear.

His opinion was that the sprag would only last a fraction of what it should if the repair was not completely done.

Anyway, I now have my magic button back, and soon the parts bill wont hurt too much.

cheers

Truss
trussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #157
sjohn22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Mark up another satisfied customer for the Oil Seal spring replacement on the worn out sprague clutch. No more "clack" "clack" noise when pushing the e-start button. My spring looked exactly like losiu's on the first page.

Thanks everyone for a great post!

sjohn22 screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 12:46 PM
sjohn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #158
Bigwheelbart
n00b

Oddometer: 1
re-LC4 640 starter clutch fix

I've done this repair twice now and the biggest problem I'm having is how to get the flywheel nut tight enough to quit coming loose. i've used an impact with locktight, long breaker bar while in gear holding down the rear brake, no worky, the nut just eventually comes loose and has now cracked 2 freewheels! Real situation when your on the HOV lane and it sounds like your case is coming apart! Mine is an 05 KTM625SMC, and doesn't have the bolt you remove to hold the crank.
Bigwheelbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #159
Inahword No
n00b

Oddometer: 4
SKF Seal 19993

The SKF Seal 19993 seal didn't do the trick.

This post was quite helpful in identifying a tired spring as the problem. I'd held the sprague clutch in my hand previously and not thought to pull the spring.

I replaced the tired spring with the spring from an SKF Seal #19993. Although the width of this spring fits nicely into the grooves of the sprague clutch, the diameter of the spring is quite a bit smaller than that of the original spring, making it a snug fit. When I put it all together, it was so snug that it clutched onto my free-wheel gear and would not let go, even when I took it all apart and tried using a wheel puller and teflon spacers. In the end, I brought it to Mr. Wizard, and he was able to separate them.

I learned quite a bit in the process, but I am chagrined and perplexed by the result.

Inahword No screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 09:46 PM Reason: why not
Inahword No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #160
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwheelbart View Post
Mine is an 05 KTM625SMC, and doesn't have the bolt you remove to hold the crank.
NEVER use the TDC locking bolt to hold the crank while torquing the magneto nut (or the primary gear nut for that matter, on the other side of the crank)! You WILL damage the crank and/or conrod by doing that! The engine manual makes explicit warnings against this as well.

-T
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #161
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 534
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the torque spec for the flywheel cover 8mm bolts? (This post is meant to prevent the THREAD of me sounding like an idiot when I strip one of those bolts out.) great thread, by the way. Took less than forty five minutes. My spring came out looking like a garter snake after the lawn mower gets ahold of it. Three fairly decent length pieces, and a bunch of tiny shredded bits... What's the consensus on holding the brake pedal, in high gear, and tightening the flywheel nut? I could only get 90-95 ft/lbs on my 2003 adventure before it started to turn. Good enough? Loc-tite on the flywheel nut too?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #162
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the torque spec for the flywheel cover 8mm bolts? (This post is meant to prevent the THREAD of me sounding like an idiot when I strip one of those bolts out.)
The bolts are, in fact, M6-sized, meaning that their nominal diameter is 6mm and that they have metric, standard (coarse) threads, with a pitch of 1mm. The wrench/socket size for these screws, in this case, happens to be 8mm, but it is not always so. This can cause confusion. As such, it would be better to always refer to the bolts by their thread size, instead of their wrench/socket sizes.

The KTM engine manual (the owner's manual as well, most likely) specifies that, as a rule, bolts of this size should be tightened to 10Nm. Intriguingly enough, though, the case bolts themselves, as well as for example the clutch cover bolts, are specified at only 8Nm. I think I aimed somewhere "in the middle" for these bolts.

Quote:
What's the consensus on holding the brake pedal, in high gear, and tightening the flywheel nut? I could only get 90-95 ft/lbs on my 2003 adventure before it started to turn. Good enough?
As I mentioned in the previous post, do not in any circumstance use the crank locking bolt while torquing on the magneto nut.

Rear brake and high gear is one method of holding the crank. The tightening torque for the magneto nut is 150Nm. The 95ftlbs you were able to get is about 130Nm, quite close. If you want to try for the final 20Nms more, here's an option for holding the crank:

A pin wrench!
Explained in more detail

Quote:
Loc-tite on the flywheel nut too?
I wouldn't put loctite on these threads. Note also that the taper surfaces on both the crank end and the magneto need to be very clean and oil-free for the taper fit to hold and function properly. Use a solvent-based cleaner to get the last residue off, perhaps brake-clean or similar?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #163
svenb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Flywheel remover

I made Laramie´s version. Don't know if'ts posted on this forum.
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=230068&hl=
svenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #164
booger weldz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
This thread just saved my ass!!!! I know its an old thread but i owe the original poster $100 worth of beer!!!!
booger weldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #165
losiu OP
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 572
Hey everyone,

I haven't been posting that much recently but I thought I heard the word "beer" a moment ago... so I ran over here to check.
Did anyone say something....???
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote