User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #121
Cathalp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Metal filings

Replaced the Sprague clutch and hub in my '02 640 Adv with new parts. Easy fix.
How good are the filters in these bikes?
There were plenty of chips gone off the old clutch and stuck to the pickups.
I changed the oil and filters too.
I just don't know how long the PO was riding around with this problem contaminating the oil.
Now I just have to replace the kickstart,the old one broke,hence the starter repair.
Cathalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #122
adventure tommy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
There is not much oil flow under the stator cover, one oil and filter chance and screen and magnet cleaning should get everything.

The 19993 seal everyone looks for to rob the garter spring from, is for a 1975 Triumph, TR-6, timing cover seal. So you can get one from your local auto parts store. I only suggest this if all your tumblers are in good condition, if any of them are rounded, they will rotate and chew the spring on the first go.

I have been kicking mine for months, not that bad. I am worried about the surface finish on the mating surfaces of the starter clutch so I have not ordered the replacement parts.

adventure tommy screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 09:39 PM
adventure tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #123
AndyB
Lonely Traveler

Oddometer: 173
Starter or Starter Clutch

Hey guys, well hmmm i gots 2 issues going wrong on my 03 640A, 1 is a carb issue that started thing whole thing (and i believe related to starter problem as far fetched as that may seem), to be addressed in a different post. But now it seems starter or starter clutch has broken.
No Previous problems with starter and bike has only 4500 miles on it.
at first the starter wouldn't do nada, like sometimes before on my 02 as well, if piston right on TDC and clyn. full of gas, soultion just give the manual comp release a bump and she'd turn right on over. well now it simply WRRrrrrrs, not engaging at all, Or if it does engage, it just dies and will not turn bike over at all
well pulled the side cover off, found a few metal whiskers on the magnet, and some noticeable scarring on the "outter tabs" of the stator but nothing to terrible and on only a few, like scratched off whatever blue/green coating is on them?
i'm no mech. by any means so i don't have a clue as to just how serious this scaring is...
going out now to borrow a flywheel puller,.... will be back for what to do/look for next....
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #124
Ggonzalez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Locked up

So, it seems there are two sets of symptoms for the same problem.

case 1: you hit the starter and get a bad, grinding, klanging sound. Sprague clutch won't engage.

case 2: hit the starter and the bike either won't crank at all or is having a hell of a time getting the motor to turn over. Sprague clutch is constantly engaged.

i have symptom #2 on my 2000 ktm duke II. I replaced the battery... nada. With the starter installed, i could not kick the bike because the starter remains engaged. i get a high pitched whine when trying to kick which i can only explain as the starter motor spinning.

I pulled the starter out and kicked. it fired up right away. problem with that is, you end up with a gaping hole in your motor where the starter used to be. I pulled the starter motor out of the case and re installed the case. Bike starts and hole is plugged.

My concern at this point is that with the sprague clutch locked in the engaged position, will i be spinning the two gears connected to it like crazy if i run the motor? i would hate to have those bearings cut loose in the motor.

Thoughts?
Ggonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #125
Slowflyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thumb

Replaced the starter clutch on my -03 adv today @22500km.
The flywheel nut came loose after a couple of whacks with a hammer and a long(ish) 24mm spanner.

The flywheel was surprisingly easy to get off using the "official" KTM extractor !

Well ... the old starter clutch was, as expteced, shot... spun both ways, and pretty much fell to pieces once I got it out.

Well ... during the "re-assembly stage" I noticed that my "el cheapo" torque wrench only clicks one way ! And the flywheel nut is "the wrong way around" ... and I don't have the KTM "horse shoe flywheel holder" anyway ...

I tightened the nut in the same way as I loosened it : Couple of whacks with the hammer on the spanner ...
I'll have to check the nut after a couple of rides just to be sure ...

E-Starter now works like a charm !

Q : Should I have used some threadlock (blue loctite) on the FW nut ?

/J
Slowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #126
trever
ct110 upgrade

Oddometer: 5
Question 2001 640lc4 carb help

I need some advice on getting my bike going again. My dumb ass left the gas on and it sat for about a year. Prior to that, it ran like a champ.
So I turned the little screw near the carb and let the gas drain out the hose little hose. I think there is still a bit of gas in the tank because it sloshes around a little...i guess i cannot drain it completely from the screw. Anyway, I was looking at the carb and it appears that there are two screws ..one on each side of the carb..which appears to hold the float bowl?? in place. However, directly on the bottom of the float bowl, there is also a nut and I'm not sure what that does... Has anyone removed the float bowl and if so, what's the best method..and also would you agree that there is some crap in there which is hindering the bike from stopping . Thanks for your help.
trever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #127
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggonzalez
So, it seems there are two sets of symptoms for the same problem.

case 1: you hit the starter and get a bad, grinding, klanging sound. Sprague clutch won't engage.

case 2: hit the starter and the bike either won't crank at all or is having a hell of a time getting the motor to turn over. Sprague clutch is constantly engaged.

i have symptom #2 on my 2000 ktm duke II. I replaced the battery... nada. With the starter installed, i could not kick the bike because the starter remains engaged. i get a high pitched whine when trying to kick which i can only explain as the starter motor spinning.

I pulled the starter out and kicked. it fired up right away. problem with that is, you end up with a gaping hole in your motor where the starter used to be. I pulled the starter motor out of the case and re installed the case. Bike starts and hole is plugged.

My concern at this point is that with the sprague clutch locked in the engaged position, will i be spinning the two gears connected to it like crazy if i run the motor? i would hate to have those bearings cut loose in the motor.

Thoughts?
i wouldn't run it with the intermediate gears engaged, just take it apart and delete or fix the freewheel
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #128
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,309
let me get this one straight..the flywheel bolt is lefty tighten, righty loosen right?
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #129
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Thumb Fixed IT

Easy fix..just ordered the part as all the little doo dads fell out all over the place. Borrowed a puller from a local Yamaha/Suzuki shop. Same puller fits a YFZ450, Suzuki GSXR 01-07 600/750/1000 and is a Suzuki Part# 09930-34980 and will run you about 40.00..very nicely made tool. All set and starts like a honda now..well..almost
This site RoX!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #130
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,389
Question Torque settings.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the torque settings for the flywheel is 150nm or 110.6 ft/lbs?

Is there a certain torque setting for the stator cover?

I don't have a manual and trying to fix this starter problem for a buddy of mine!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #131
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
Correct me if I am wrong, but the torque settings for the flywheel is 150nm or 110.6 ft/lbs?

Is there a certain torque setting for the stator cover?

I don't have a manual and trying to fix this starter problem for a buddy of mine!
apply impact wrench..pull trigger..torque set
Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #132
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
Early models were 75Nm (or something?), later models like my 2005 are 150Nm.

Possibly mentioned earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #133
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,285
Question

Question: any issues with running the bike without the starter clutch fitted?

I can't get the parts for a few weeks so wondering if I can put it all back together except for the clutch, to get some summer xmas break riding in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #134
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
Question: any issues with running the bike without the starter clutch fitted?

I can't get the parts for a few weeks so wondering if I can put it all back together except for the clutch, to get some summer xmas break riding in
I don't see why not...as long as you're not goint to try to electric start it..
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #135
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
I don't see why not...as long as you're not goint to try to electric start it..
It just make funny sound....

Its probably good idea remove intermediate gear also.

I do it few year ago when starter clutch broke middle of trip.

And after that i ride few months without that gear and starter clutch.
Good practise for kickstarting...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote