Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #31
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
+1 Zumo

Went through the same ordeal, Zumo vs 276, and landed on the Zumo.

Had it for just 5 months but I can't find a real problem with it's functionality.

May be dumbed down, maybe I'm dumb...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #32
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius
Ok, I have the 278 and have just ordered the Zumo, so I'll soon see if you are right...
Congrats! You will definitely see what I mean. I would almost bet that you will find it hard to find a reason to ride with the 278 after you get your Zumo and load it with v3.30
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 AM   #33
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Congrats! You will definitely see what I mean. I would almost bet that you will find it hard to find a reason to ride with the 278 after you get your Zumo and load it with v3.30
One word....Nexrad.

Add that feature and I will agree.
I still think talking on the phone and riding is crazy.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #34
D'Artagnan
Sharp and Pointy

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint
Won't argue with you there. Part of riding is to leave some that kind of stuff behind. Just because the phone rings does not mean I have to answer. But there are some calls I would not want to miss. For that reason I would like the capability to recieve calls while riding. Hopefully I will have the sense, and a place to pull over, while I talk.

Good Judgement comes from Experience,
Experience usually comes from Bad Judgement.
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #35
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius
Ok, I have the 278 and have just ordered the Zumo, so I'll soon see if you are right...

Konfucius, are you planning on using the XM weather feature? Do you know if it is available worldwide or at least in some other countries?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #36
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan
Won't argue with you there. Part of riding is to leave some that kind of stuff behind. Just because the phone rings does not mean I have to answer. But there are some calls I would not want to miss. For that reason I would like the capability to recieve calls while riding. Hopefully I will have the sense, and a place to pull over, while I talk.
Is this important?

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #37
D'Artagnan
Sharp and Pointy

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
Is this important?

Sorry TH, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question. Is having the phone important? Not really. It would certainly be nice. My g/f and famiy know part of why I go ride is to "get away from it all". They don't call during then unless it is important. I would want to know about those calls.

Sometimes I want to / need to make a call. Instead of taking off the gloves and helmet, digging out the phoned, calling , then gearing back up, it would be nice to just call.

Like I said, just cuz the phone is there, does not mean I have to answer, but I like having the option.

Good Judgement comes from Experience,
Experience usually comes from Bad Judgement.
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #38
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
Konfucius, are you planning on using the XM weather feature? Do you know if it is available worldwide or at least in some other countries?
Not available in EU, maybe in a couple of years, it's only available in US as far as I know.
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #39
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
The discussion re Zumo versus 278 is weird indeed.

For those who are able to apreciate the advantages of the 278 there is no real choise. For them the 278 is superior by far. Very far. This is the map freaks who love and understand navigation. It's for those who love active riding on nice roads.

For the rest the Zumo is equally superior. No real need to understand any details. Just a few taps on the screen and go cruising in the sunsine on the straight highways. No dangerous curves. No booring GPS setup nonsense. Just listen to (mono) MP3 or talk on the phone while the Zumo takes you home on the main roads.

My advice is simple. If you "find it hard to find a reason to ride with the 278" then you should definitely go for the Zumo.

The Zumo and the 278 are both "best choise". But for entirely different kind of users.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #40
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR
The discussion re Zumo versus 278 is weird indeed.

For those who are able to apreciate the advantages of the 278 there is no real choise. For them the 278 is superior by far. Very far. This is the map freaks who love and understand navigation. It's for those who love active riding on nice roads.

For the rest the Zumo is equally superior. No real need to understand any details. Just a few taps on the screen and go cruising in the sunsine on the straight highways. No dangerous curves. No booring GPS setup nonsense. Just listen to (mono) MP3 or talk on the phone while the Zumo takes you home on the main roads.

My advice is simple. If you "find it hard to find a reason to ride with the 278" then you should definitely go for the Zumo.

The Zumo and the 278 are both "best choise". But for entirely different kind of users.
My Zumo must have been malfuntioning. I was listening to stereo and got lost on a curvy road. I guess it takes all kinds.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan
Sorry TH, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question. Is having the phone important? Not really. It would certainly be nice. My g/f and famiy know part of why I go ride is to "get away from it all". They don't call during then unless it is important. I would want to know about those calls.

Sometimes I want to / need to make a call. Instead of taking off the gloves and helmet, digging out the phoned, calling , then gearing back up, it would be nice to just call.

Like I said, just cuz the phone is there, does not mean I have to answer, but I like having the option.
That is the point - do what you need to do. Could be important

As long as you have BT on your phone you can at least find out if you even have cell reception on the Zumo before you pull over to take off all that gear to find out you do not have cell bars.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #42
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint
One word....Nexrad.

Add that feature and I will agree.
Actually NEXRAD is not a word. It is an abbreviation.

I am curious if your cellophonophobia extends to bike intercom systems and bike-to-bike radios.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #43
spinninmywheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
RIDE THERE NOW is on the $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideThereNow
The Zumo is dumbed down for the general populace, the 276C, 376C, 478, etc. are more like working tools. Think again about that static screen and where you'll be riding, your fingers touching that screen will eventually scar it up and the touch screen can get nutty in dusty, static conditions, like a dry dirt road.

If you're just going to the coffee bar the Zumo will get you there.
RideThereNow is correct in what he stated. The touch screen problems, ect. You would be hard pressed to find a better unit than the 276c, or the 376c if you want XM. I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee to listen to broadcasted music. Anyway, the $$$ you will save over the ZUMO would allow you to buy a TT mount which completely isolates the unit from road vibration, a 512 data card, and city navigator, and still have a few dollars for gas for you next adventure.

Marty
Attached Images

spinninmywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #44
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Actually NEXRAD is not a word. It is an abbreviation.

I am curious if your cellophonophobia extends to bike intercom systems and bike-to-bike radios.
Ok. NEXRAD or Nexrad (Next-Generation Radar) is a network of 158 high-resolution Doppler radars operated by the National Weather Service, an agency of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) within the United States Department of Commerce. Its technical name is WSR-88D.

I guess I meant to say WSR-88D.

As you might have guessed, I do use an intercom when two up and a CB (abbreviation), when I ride. Not quite the same as a phone call. Usually the intercom/CB conversations are about the immediate happens or surroundings. It is easy to keep clued into the surroundings when that is what you are conversing about. A phone call on the other hand, is almost always with someone removed from your ride. Ir order ot concentrate on the conversation, you tend to drift away from the task an hand.( riding the motorcycle)

In my opinion, much more dangerous.

Kinda funny isn't it?
Garmin puts a warning about fussing with the buttons and how it is dangerous to do so when driving. Gives you a button that locks you out from them functioning while riding, reccomends you search for stuff when you are stopped, but then introduces the cell on demand with one click.

Just saying.

All those fundctions still have to do with the task at hand, so you are not far removed from operating the bike. The phone on the other hand sends you far, far way.

I hope you are better dividing you attention between the phone and driving than the hundreds of people I see attempting it everyday. I just think it is too dangerous but I hope you continue to ride safely everyday.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #45
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
My Zumo must have been malfuntioning. I was listening to stereo and got lost on a curvy road. I guess it takes all kinds.

Good choise of screen. Shows clearly one important difference between the Zumo and the 278. On your screen there are no alternative roads. It's even difficult to see in what direction you are riding.

The 278 is for map lovers. High resolution map with all roads in the area visible. User controllable zoom rate and map size.

278:

276C:

HMR screwed with this post 05-09-2007 at 11:37 PM
HMR is offline   Reply With Quote