Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #61
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
As I said before, you obviously don't know anything about other Garmin units.

As for the x78's, you're right, they make horrible car units. the user interface is archaic, entering data is mind numbing and takes forever. It is a marine unit after all and does that job quite well. On the bike it works well to, because you aren't asking much of it then to follow a route or show you some details around your route, but when it comes to real life navigating, it fails. Punching in multiple addresses, and finding specific businesses will leave you ready to toss the thing out the window.
I don't want to offend you but I love that comment!

Still - the Zumo is a great car unit and as long as you use the bike as most people use a car (driving from point A to to point B) the Zumo is great. Besides that the Zumo is very capable in most other bike riding situations.

On the bike I never ever even once keyed in an adress! I use the bike to ride on nice roads and all route preparation is done on the PC and the resulting routes are uploaded to the GPS.

I've tested most of Garmin's bike units, I arrange tours, I create and distribute routes do hundreds of users so I have heard zillions of comments re how to use a GPS on a bike. Some feedback:

- Punching in multiple addresses, and finding specific businesses almost nobody do on the bike. Thats for car usage. Riding the bike people do for fun. Still, the Zumo is much better for this than the 278.

- All Garmin bike units from the SP3 and forward will do the job except (until recently) the Zumo. With the recent firmware updates also the Zumo will do the trick. There are no remaining strong reasons for not buying a Zumo!

- All users seems to be very happy with the specific model they use. This means that there are no really "bad choises" among the Garmins. (Well - avoid the Quest2 - poor quality)

- The only users that have a religious "my model is the one and only" opinion seems to be the Zumo owners. Why that is I don't know. I guess it may have to to with the fact that the Zumo is a typical "first unit" for less experienced users.

- The forest/offroad/greenlane freaks seems to prefer the 60CX series.

- The experienced users, the Adventure Riders and the long-distance-on-small-roads people seems to prefer the 276C/278 models.

- The guys with limited resources seems to be VERY happy with their SP2610. These guys are probably the happiest users I've met!

- The beginners, the Harley Parkinson riders & the computer illiterates seems to prefer the Zumo.

I nowadays always recommend beginners to buy the Zumo. The probablilty that a less expecienced user becomes successful with using a GPS on a bike is higher with the Zumo than with any other model.

Bottiom line:
- Buy a Garmin and you will not be disapointed.
- If you don't know what to buy - buy a Zumo!
- If you know what to buy - don't ask!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #62
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR

Still - the Zumo is a great car unit and as long as you use the bike as most people use a car (driving from point A to to point B) the Zumo is great. Besides that the Zumo is very capable in most other bike riding situations.

On the bike I never ever even once keyed in an adress! I use the bike to ride on nice roads and all route preparation is done on the PC and the resulting routes are uploaded to the GPS.

I've tested most of Garmin's bike units, I arrange tours, I create and distribute routes do hundreds of users so I have heard zillions of comments re how to use a GPS on a bike. Some feedback:

- Punching in multiple addresses, and finding specific businesses almost nobody do on the bike. Thats for car usage. Riding the bike people do for fun. Still, the Zumo is much better for this than the 278.

- All Garmin bike units from the SP3 and forward will do the job except (until recently) the Zumo. With the recent firmware updates also the Zumo will do the trick. There are no remaining strong reasons for not buying a Zumo!

- All users seems to be very happy with the specific model they use. This means that there are no really "bad choises" among the Garmins. (Well - avoid the Quest2 - poor quality)

- The only users that have a religious "my model is the one and only" opinion seems to be the Zumo owners. Why that is I don't know. I guess it may have to to with the fact that the Zumo is a typical "first unit" for less experienced users.

- The experienced users, the Adventure Riders and the long-distance-on-small-roads people seems to prefer the 276C/278 models.

- The guys with limited resources seems to be VERY happy with their SP2610. These guys are probably the happiest users I've met!

- The beginners, the Harley Parkinson riders & the computer illiterates seems to prefer the Zumo.

I nowadays always recommend beginners to buy the Zumo. The probablilty that a less expecienced user becomes successful with using a GPS on a bike is higher with the Zumo than with any other model.

Bottiom line:
Again, there is NOTHING for motorcycling (short of NEXRAD, Taint) found in a marine unit that is not also found in a Zumo. This notion that the marine units are for more advanced users and the Zumo is for the beginner is completely false and misleading.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #63
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint
I wonder why you are not suppossed to use a cell phone when piloting an airplane. Fellow private pilot here.
Because cell phone transmissions from consumer handset devices are not certified to NOT interfere with certified communications and navigation equipment. Certified cellular telephone equipment is indeed allowed to be used when piloting an airplane.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #64
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Again, there is NOTHING for motorcycling (short of NEXRAD, Taint) found in a marine unit that is not also found in a Zumo. This notion that the marine units are for more advanced users and the Zumo is for the beginner is completely false and misleading.
How can you sound so smart and full of shit at the same time?
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #65
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I am really quite stunned there are any posts about the Zumo in this forum.

Somebody must have helped them with the computer or they typed in the www "address" on the not so adventurous Zumo and used BT or something.

Source - The Catechism according to Saint Human Relations Manager.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #66
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
That's 'cause he's a smart guy who's full of himself!

Seems like we go through this every year at this time. Two years ago it was 276/2610. Last year it was 276/2710. This year it's 276/Zumo. Hmmm, what's the common denominator here? Lessee, it's gonna come to me...

The 276's big advantage over the others is the bigger TFT screen and lack of touchscreen. I don't care for the touchscreen with gloves and I can input anything I need to (addresses, intersections, businesses, etc) on the fly (I do this alot during rallies and LD rides) fine with the 276. This all means that the 276 (and its siblings) work the best for ME.

When I fiddled with the Zumo, the screen was way too small for my crappy near vision and the touchscreen was even harder to manipulate than the 2610 I've used.

The key thing here is this: How many times in the post have I used the word "I"? Saying things like "Again, there is NOTHING for motorcycling found in a marine unit that is not also found in a Zumo. This notion that the marine units are for more advanced users and the Zumo is for the beginner is completely false and misleading." misses the mark. For many of us there are many things that make the Zumo less useful an instrument than the 276. For ME.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #67
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
The bigger screen, absense of touchscreen, ability to show NEXRAD and -- almost forgotten -- ability to greatly customize the display with many, many different data fields make the 'x7x boxes work best for me. The Zumo and other automotive GPSs aren't bad, but these just suit me better.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #68
Hi-zoot
Living for the Weekend

Oddometer: 244
Good grief......

ya'll need to go riding
Hi-zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #69
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist
That's 'cause he's a smart guy who's full of himself!

Seems like we go through this every year at this time. Two years ago it was 276/2610. Last year it was 276/2710. This year it's 276/Zumo. Hmmm, what's the common denominator here? Lessee, it's gonna come to me...

The 276's big advantage over the others is the bigger TFT screen and lack of touchscreen. I don't care for the touchscreen with gloves and I can input anything I need to (addresses, intersections, businesses, etc) on the fly (I do this alot during rallies and LD rides) fine with the 276. This all means that the 276 (and its siblings) work the best for ME.

When I fiddled with the Zumo, the screen was way too small for my crappy near vision and the touchscreen was even harder to manipulate than the 2610 I've used.

The key thing here is this: How many times in the post have I used the word "I"? Saying things like "Again, there is NOTHING for motorcycling found in a marine unit that is not also found in a Zumo. This notion that the marine units are for more advanced users and the Zumo is for the beginner is completely false and misleading." misses the mark. For many of us there are many things that make the Zumo less useful an instrument than the 276. For ME.
My point is that these are two different but certainly equal enough (for motorcycling) units each with feature sets aimed at the broadest spectrum of different users' wants/needs. It pains me that some folks (not you necessarily) in here are saying the Zumo is dumbed down. Whether one likes the Zumo or not, this could not be further from the truth. The UI is simply easier to use much in the way that Windows is easier to use than DOS. The features are all there.

Now, if the screen is too small, too dim, touchscreen is not for you, etc...as far as I am concerned you just have to be happy with a different unit, but that does not mean the Zumo is lacking functionality or sophistication. Trying to convince others that one unit is for hard-core techno-saavy ubertouring badasses and the other is for soccer moms and feeble old geezer gliders is what I consider to be very uncool. Both units have their advantages and disadvantages. If you haven't ridden with both, then you really don't know enough to judge them impartially.

I am not full of myself at all. I just don't like to see people turned away from any product by other people who should because they know not what they are talking about, but otherwise sound like they do.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #70
lowflyer
Doubleplusgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
It ain't easy.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #71
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR

Bottiom line:
That's just it, you spend the kind of money one of these units cost and you want to USE it as much as possible. Not leave it sitting on the bike when it's in the garage. I travel for my business and I pull a 42 foot vendor trailer. So being able to find anything from a truck stop, motel, restuarant, or arena quickly and accurately is very important. For me, a GPS is a tool, not a weekend toy. It has nothing to do with experience, but inadequacies. The x78's are inadequate for this use, while the Zumo is more then adequate for motorcycle navigation. The Zumo just makes much better sense as an all around unit. It's a better option for what most people need a GPS to do. From what I can see, the folks that want a good all around unit get the Zumo or SP seires. For those folks that have visions of doing the Paris to Dakar, they get a boat GPS.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #72
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist
He, he, he, he....
Old 05-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #73
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
From what I can see, the folks that want a good all around unit get the Zumo or SP seires. For those folks that have visions of doing the Paris to Dakar, they get a boat GPS.
Exactly! That's why I have the 278, it's THE adventure navigator and I also soon have a Zumo, for the car and for the things you use it for, finding a cup of coffee.

The biggest difference here is not the gps, it's how you guys use your bikes...
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #74
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
I am really quite stunned there are any posts about the Zumo in this forum.

Somebody must have helped them with the computer or they typed in the www "address" on the not so adventurous Zumo and used BT or something.

Source - The Catechism according to Saint Human Relations Manager.

Well that's about the dumbest damn thing I've read in here. Who taught you how to type?

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #75
syncster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
SO, to those who have used Zumo

Will it support street and Trail/backcountry stuff? I need a unit that I use in both an Auto and on my V-strom, which I use on and on trails as well.

Any suggesstions?
syncster is offline   Reply With Quote