User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
RVDan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Anybody got an NX125

I'm thinking about buying an NX125 this week as a spare bike for my friends to ride, and something thats cheap to insure that I can leave insurance on it all year round for the odd nice day in the winter.

Are they really as horribly underpowered as I suspect they are, or will they hold freeway speed for an hour at a time that I need it to do?

Post some pics of your NX125 if you have any :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
I used to have one of those

Boy, this thread brought back some memories! My dad bought me one of those for Xmas when I was fifteen, and I rode it around the woods for a year until I got my license, then rode it to high school until I sold it to my nephew, who went on 2-up trips with his girlfriend on it. Yes, they are kinda weak... but no more than any other 125. More importantly, I got my first speeding ticket on it (in a school zone), gave all the girls rides around the block, and used coins I found under the couch cushions to travel all over town while my buddies were begging their moms for gas money. I never realized it was slow until I bought my brother's Virago 750!

edit; I just realized you mentioned it would have to do freeway duty... You wouldn't be passing any cars with it. And where I come from a 125 isn't legal on the freeway anyway.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
And where I come from a 125 isn't legal on the freeway anyway.
That's actually interesting as I thought it was only Mexico that had these "strange" rules. I know that back in Holland I could drive anything above 50cc on the highway as the 49cc and lower bikes are seen as bicycles with an auxiliary engine. But I could be outdated on that as I never drove anything under 500cc back then.

Looking at those NX125 bikes I must say that they are a bit heavy, but it seems that they come with a 6 speed gearbox and that's a huge plus.
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
RVDan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
well around here the sign on the freeways say "vehicles incapable of 60 km/h prohibited on freeway"

Now that doesn't mean its a good idea to ride at 60 km/h on the freeway, but its legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
doctor_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I am looking for a bike that an NX could possibly fulfill as well - though at 240 pounds I'm unsure if it would be a wise choice.

I assume that if you uncork the airbox and add an aftermarket pipe these bikes wake up fairly well..?
doctor_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
springcreekrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Forget the Freeway on a NX125. Great bike for learning and playing around.
springcreekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
An NX 125 was my first bike when I was 14. Even then it was underpowered (top speed with me and a small friend on the back was about 55). I did a couple very small jumps and it cracked the frame.

Even with all of that, it was a lot of fun. I sold it before I turned 16, but wished I had kept it and gotten the motorcycle license. It is a good bike for a smaller rider, but for a beginner to learn on you might be better off with something lighter.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
Duderkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
i just bought one...same here 50 with me and small friend. im 5'6 140lbs and i got it up to 60 not trying to hard...

BUT...I cant imagine a lighter bike to start on.(i cant imagine many bikes, i am fairly new rider))..i started on a ninja650r...this would have been way better
Duderkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Undercover Poe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Yup

Just bought one and i'm racking up the miles! What a great bike, nice and light and easy to ride.
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,744
I picked up one for my daughter to learn on. I have road it. 45 up hill and 60 max down 55 on flat is all it will do. I'm 150lbs. If I was in town and never needed to get over 45mph I could see a use for it. I have road it on our place and it is unstable in the front off road and on gravel.

There's no way in hell i would get it on a busy highway let a lone a freeway. up to 45 it has enough power to be safe' past that you got noting but momentum. also i think I could dead lift the thing into the back of a truck.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
nk14zp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just got one for my wife to learn on.
nk14zp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
mikehailwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Wow! More NX125 owners than I would have expected here. My brother has one and needs a camshaft. Any leads?
mikehailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehailwood View Post
Wow! More NX125 owners than I would have expected here. My brother has one and needs a camshaft. Any leads?
There's one for sale in the FM and the ad says he has an extra motor. I don't know anymore than what the ad says...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=nx125