User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
bankska11 OP
Where are we?

Oddometer: 64
1st gen KLR to an '06 450 EXC???

I've been riding 1st and 2nd Gen KLRs for awhile, but I'm seriously considering "drinking the orange kool-aid". I've found a titled, '06 450 EXC, really clean, 16 hours, well maintained, etc. that I'm thinking about buying. I love the KLRs (seriously, no BS, I really do), but I've got young kids and the likelihood of me loading it down for week long trips are slim to no-way-in-hell. 1 night camping trips, half-day trail riding, local single track stuff, and generally more off-road riding is what I'm now looking to do. As much as I don't want to admit it and have to listen to my dumbass buddy's "I told you so" comments, the trusted KLR steed probably isn't my best option.

I've never owned a KTM, but I've been reading all I can on the 450 EXCs and all generally agree that they're badass. Give me the short version on why or why not this KTM would be a good choice. Also, how much should I pay for something like this; I've seen them range from stupid high to crazy cheap.

I almost feel like I should apologize to my KLR...
bankska11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,842
If I could only have one, I'd keep the KLR. If you can have both, the EXC is a ton of fun. After riding the EXC, your KLR will feel slow and heavy. But if you wanna make a lot of pavement miles the KLR is more comfortable. I love day trips on my EXC, but I usually trailer in order to save the knobbies for dirt riding where the bike really excels. There is a much bigger difference between riding both bikes offroad, and less difference on the road. The EXC really flies on the trails and is a much better tool. Mainteince is much more of an issue on the EXC, and if you ride it like it should be ridden, expect to be spending more time in the shop fixing broken parts.

FWIW - I paid $3200 for my low mile 04 450 EXC a couple of years ago. It wasn't excellent condition, but was in good condition. If it came with a plate up here and was in great low mileage condition I would think $4000-$4500, but I think our bike prices are higher than other parts of the country.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,097
I've owned a dozen bikes, 3 offroad. My 05 450 EXC was by far the most fun I ever had on 2 wheels. By a long shot.

Buy it without hesitation. (if it's still available)
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Thumb

I've got a plated '06 EXC 450. It'll be perfect for how you plan to ride. I paid 4,000$ for mine with 48 hrs about 2 yrs ago. (It had been plated when new, so it never had off-road title problems)

I say get the one you're looking at before someone snaps it up. (Assuming it's priced fairly). I love mine.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Former 05 450exc and Gen 1 KLR owner here. You are looking at 2 different ends of the spectrum. If you have the KTM set up for woods riding then prepare to eat some tires on the street, they don't last. The wide ratio 6 speed tranny is dual sport heaven. Maintenance on the RFS engine is really not that bad, keep fresh oil in them and your air filter clean. Even the valve checks are easy for the average person that has a little mechanical aptitude.

The EXC is a race bike with a plate (if you can plate the 06 in your state). I always worried about parking my KTM out of eye sight. Two dirt bags with a truck could lift one and be gone in seconds.

The KLR has a huge following and is great for logging roads and getting you there. However I would not want to spend the day horsing one around in the woods on the same trails I rode my KTM. There are those that can do it and I am sure there are a few Go Pro videos to back it up. I'm not one of them!

If you are primarily riding dirt just get the KTM, be happy and let your friend rib you a little with the "I told you so!" My 2 cents worth, good luck.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,246
Buy it!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,593
Yes, BUY IT!!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual

Oddometer: 21
Just a quick review, I previously rode a plated xr 600. Loved it but wanted something new so I got an 05 450 exc.
ridiculously complicated oil change, filters all over the place and be prepared to buy the most costly oil on the shelf.
Every time you roll the bike around in the shop it sets the timer off and records usage.
For some reason gas goes bad in mine faster than any other bike in my shop and plugs the pilot jet, and I have even drained the bike of fuel.
If I get a phone call to ride on Saturday morning I have to begin the task of getting the bastard to run by Thursday charge battery, drill crap from pilot jet, remove air cleaner and squirt gas into intake (enrichening circuit dry?) oh and worlds most painful narrow seat. Once I do all the bullshit to get it working its awesome but what a pain. If you have a family spend your time and money on your kids! I miss my honda
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankska11 View Post
As much as I don't want to admit it and have to listen to my dumbass buddy's "I told you so" comments, the trusted KLR steed probably isn't my best option.

I almost feel like I should apologize to my KLR...

I have owned my trusty, overweight, under powered, bullet proof, never-let-me-down KLR for 6 years. The only issue I have ever had is a blown fuse....

"Trusted KLR steed." Think upon those words...

Now, I am NOT gonna tell you that KTMs are unreliable. They are not unreliable.

I have some pretty significant seat time on a friend's '08 450 XCR-W...with a nice set of sumo wheels for the street.

Holy crap, what a fantastic little bike. Like riding on air compared to the KLR.

I have had my KLR in places it probably had no right going by most people's "logic", and the Pig handled it with relative aplomb. But you're gonna appreciate the 150lb weight difference of the 450 when you're in the woods

If you can, I say keep both
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
After I totaled my first KLR I didn't think I'd ever ride street again so I replaced her with an '05 450 EXC. If your half way decent off road on a KLR, the KTM will make you think you're a super hero!

I'm currently on bike #21 right now (riding since '74) & the 450 EXC is BY FAR the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle! The draw back is that I HATE wrenching & the KTM's owners manual suggests oil change after every 10 hours & valve adjustment after every 15 hours.

I got the urge to road ride again & picked up an '06 KLR & she goes out ridding (on & off road) 10 or 15 times for every time the KTM goes out now. I still LOVE the KTM, I just rather ride than wrench so the KTM sits around while I ride the KLR until a big organized ride comes up & kicks me in the butt to do my maintenance.

The KTM is a GREAT bike & you WILL love ripping around through the woods on it. Keep the KLR though, it's perfect for exploring new woods & trails to find out if you want to truck your KTM back & ride them.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,560
Keep the KLR if you can. Every time I have sold one of my KLR's I end up
regretting it. I miss going on a long hwy ride with some dirt mixed in every
now and then. The KLR is just a comfortable bike. You could not compare the
450EXC on the hwy to the KLR. And you could not compare the KLR on the dirt to the 450EXC. KLR is one of those bikes that is good to have in the garage.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
If you really plan to do the type of riding you say, the KTM is a much better choice.

I had an 07 KLR and a KTM 450 for years. I used the 450 for harder day rides and the KLR for long multi-day trips on easier dirt roads. I wouldn't have wanted to do the TAT on my 450 or any ride more than about 150 miles per day.

I still do the long trips, but I switched to a KTM 690 for these earlier this year.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 690
Buy the KTM. It's insanely fun.

And maintenance is normal, not as intensive as many non KTM owners may have you believe. RFS are tough.

Sold my 06 450 last year. Want it back!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussumguy View Post
Just a quick review, I previously rode a plated xr 600. Loved it but wanted something new so I got an 05 450 exc.
ridiculously complicated oil change, filters all over the place and be prepared to buy the most costly oil on the shelf.
Every time you roll the bike around in the shop it sets the timer off and records usage.
For some reason gas goes bad in mine faster than any other bike in my shop and plugs the pilot jet, and I have even drained the bike of fuel.
If I get a phone call to ride on Saturday morning I have to begin the task of getting the bastard to run by Thursday charge battery, drill crap from pilot jet, remove air cleaner and squirt gas into intake (enrichening circuit dry?) oh and worlds most painful narrow seat. Once I do all the bullshit to get it working its awesome but what a pain. If you have a family spend your time and money on your kids! I miss my honda
KTM harder to work on than Honda?
Most expensive oil on the shelf?
Getting work done in the shop?

Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,048
I just got a 300cc 4 stroke dirt bike, and it has Plenty of power for trail riding and goofing off. A 450 might be overkill... they are a big brutal bike.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote