User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
MatadorMkV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
XR650R Mikuni TM40 or Edelbrock?

Can anyone out there tell me which one is best for a 2007 XR650R? With the TM40, do I need a kit and a lot of special items...cables, spigots, etc.?

Thanks,
Russ

MatadorMkV screwed with this post 11-16-2008 at 12:30 PM
MatadorMkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 742
Edelbrook from Barnums - comes all set up.
Easy starting and better throttle response.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
MatadorMkV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, looks like that's the way to go. Seems like pumpers are the answer for big bore 4-strokes. I once put a Dellorto pumper on an ATK605 and the difference was like night and day. I was able to tune the pilot circuit better because the pump took care of the off idle stumble. My guess is that it's pretty much the same for the big XR.

I sent an email using the address on Barnums page, but it was sent back. I'll just have to give them a call.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,243
I've got a BRP with the Edelbrock quicksilver pumper, Ive got another XR with an FCR42 and I just installed a TM40 on a BRP for a customer. Of those three carbs the best performer by a small margin is the FCR42. The TM40 is a close second and the 'Brock is dead last and for good reason. The best value is by far the TM40. You can get a kit for the XR from Sudco for $480 and it will come jetted fairly close with cables and extrra jets. The FCR42 kit (also from Sudco)for the XR is $700 and in my opinion is a little better but not $200 better than the TM40. The Edelbrock kit for the XR is over $500 and I'll never buy another one as long as the TM and FCR are still available.

The 650R I just put the TM40 on was stock except for the exhaust and air filter does 3rd gear wheelies without even trying to now. By far the best value for a pumper carb.

Just a little FYI, disconnecting the accelerator pump when jetting this type of carb makes it much easier. After you've got the bike running perfectly reconnect the pump and adjust the shot timing and duration.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
The FCR is a quality carb and would probably be my pick.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
You are on the money Xrider.
I've just put an TM40 on a my modded XR650r and it's way better than the stocker.The TM40 kit for an XR650R comes with the needle and needle jet way too rich and most people give up,but once sorted out they are awesome.
My pumper is a bit rich but i've just put on a set of Staintune headers so this should be better now.
I will oval bore my TM40 when i go to 680CC.
It feels like it's fuel injected now it's that smooth.
I think the problem with the Eddies is that it only uses a needle and it's only good up top or down low through the settings.
I have an idea for a solution but i don't have an Eddie to try it on.
You know those power now wing things most people buy and throw away, well the secret with them is that they richen up the bottom end and you have to lean it out a size or two.Once this is done they are great.
This could be the answer to the Eddies issue for bottom and top end power.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
I had an edelbrock and will be making the move to the TM40.
Eddys are great for not being able to flood them easily, but they lose alot of top end power.

where did you get your TM40, cooky?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,050
Edelbrocks are going for 375 U.S. dollars on Ebay.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
DOSCERVASAS
neck

Oddometer: 220
Tm40

[quote=badcooky]You are on the money Xrider.
I've just put an TM40 on a my modded XR650r and it's way better than the stocker.The TM40 kit for an XR650R comes with the needle and needle jet way too rich and most people give up,but once sorted out they are awesome.
My pumper is a bit rich but i've just put on a set of Staintune headers so this should be better now.
I will oval bore my TM40 when i go to 680CC.
It feels like it's fuel injected now it's that smooth.
I think the problem with the Eddies is that it only uses a needle and it's only good up top or down low through the settings.
I have an idea for a solution but i don't have an Eddie to try it on.
You know those power now wing things most people buy and throw away, well the secret with them is that they richen up the bottom end and you have to lean it out a size or two.Once this is done they are great.

Hey bud, again

did you change the jetting on the carb, or does it run ok? I have the XR's only headers and pipe that is why I am asking.

"Another Day, Another poor soul left in my Dust"

DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800
DOSCERVASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
running the eddy on my 680 R

I'm sure I could get better performance with another carb but.. mines dialed in pretty well.

she goes will over 109 mph as is and has all the power I need..

not sure if a carb will make me a faster or better rider as I'm pretty fast the way it is...

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
MatadorMkV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I really just wanted something that allows the bike to respond better to eastern woods riding. I know many think it's the wrong bike for this, but I'm having a blast riding it. I was looking to get better off idle response. Triple digit mph is not really important to me.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
XRider
Almost Lifelike

A pumper carb will give you that "get up and go" you're looking for, you'll get a snappy jolt of power every time you twist the throttle. The down side is they're not cheap. It is a good value though, $500 worth of engine mods won't get you half that kind of performance. If cost is not your limiting factor, spring for the FCR. If like most of us your looking for the most bang for your buck, the TM40 is your carb. And don't let anyone give you any shit for choosing an XR for woods riding. Scott Summers won 5 GNCC championships on the XR600R in the woods of the east coast.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 618
MatadorMKV,
Barnum's are prolly all down in Mexico for the Baja, prerunning and setting up. I tried to get ahold of them at this time a few years back, they called ASAP when they got back to the states. Good People.

I'm sure the other carbs are great, I just know how well the Eddy does on my bike as well as two others, it rocks, 2-3 mpg better throughout the range , as well as NO hesitation from the low end, easy to lift the front end at will. Rocks and trees are not a problem anymore!!!!
Oh yea, the triple digit speedo #'s are no problem even geared to 15/49 It will just hit 100, then I'm out of it!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Just a thought, but has anybody looked into fitting an FCR off another bike? The big KTM EXCs come with a 41mm Keihin as far as I know.

The DR crowd, while not as cheap as the KLRistas of course, likes to re-use the 39mm FCR-MX from YFZ450s. I have one on mine, cost me $140 and I have seen them go for cheaper.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
XRider
Almost Lifelike

FCR's come in two body styles, (as well as differant bore sizes) the OEM style and after market style. The OEM version has the spigot and air boot adaptor cast in with the body. The after market type has a threaded spigot and air boot adaptor that can be removed. However they are put on with red loctite and can be tricky to get off. The FCR's that are original equipment on any of the Japanese bikes are almost allways the OEM style. KTM has a mixed bag of OEM and after market. The good news is that an after market FCR from one bike can be adapted to a different make and model by changing the spigot and boot adaptor which you can get from Sudco. Sudco charges about $50 each for these so your second hand carb has to be cheap for it to stay a good deal. The OEM FCR's may or may not fit from one bike to the next so it's a try before you buy kind of a thing.