User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Wisconsin1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
SP 500 rear brake issue

So my son bought an '82 Suzuki SP 500 about 2 weeks ago. 10,000 miles, kind of beat up, but still a viable bike. As we are in Wisconsin and the weather hasn't cooperated yet, I've decided to fix some areas on it that have been either abused or ignored before riding weather gets here. Now that I think of it, I guess those are both the same! The rear brake was locked up on it when he bought it. As it is more than 30 years old, I thought it was time to install some brake shoes as the originals were likely to still be on it. Well, I took off the rear wheel and finally got the drum open. It was very dirty, and the shoes were trashed. Here is my issue: At the top of the drum where the shoes almost touch is a pivoting piece that on the outside of the drum the bracket attaches that is connected to the rod connected to the brake pedal. The pivot is supposed to turn as the rear brake is applied and then spread the shoes against the drum. The pivot won't pivot. It is stuck solid and after a day of soaking in kerosene, and a few previous applications of penetrating oil, it still won't move. It looks to me that it is pressed in from the inside out. I am looking for ideas on removing it so that I can clean it up, and get it to work properly. I have tried to tap it out on my vise, but I haven't gotten much movement and honestly, I'm afraid to break the casting. I wonder if there is an "o" ring in there? I thought about applying heat, but I don't want to melt any rubber seals or anything. Bring me your ideas!
Wisconsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote