Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #226
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustjunkie
Well, definately more so than the G650...

Jake
can't deny this is one killer looking bike.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #227
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikerimbey
The BMW works team will be on the starting line in Puerto Lumbrears at the World Enduro Championship on April 28 and 29. The riders will be sitting on a new 450 single cylinder sports enduro.
anyone know how its been doing?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #228
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarax
Probably not. Instead I think, some people might switch over to this bike instead it has a roundel.

Maybe a glimps into the europeen market offers some insight. Here most of the 400/450s can be street legal. But making them so forces the manufacturer to some harsh modifications. A street legal 450 EXC has less then 20 hp due to noise and pollution restrictions. (Evan LC4s are restricted rev-wise here in 2nd and 3rd gear.) And they are only street legal because KTM is concidered a "small manufaturer" because they don't sell more than 5000 units a year of this model (in the EU). So who wants to run a street legal EXC?

Suzuki has given up selling the DR-Z 400 S (the E was always difficult to get over here) in 2005 because of the same reasons. I got mine in the sellout about two years ago, a few days before it became illegal to be registered.

All together we have a situation where ist is nearly impossible to buy a street legal enduro in the middle range which is capable to do some racing in an amateur roadbook rallye and can be used to commute. If BMW pulls this off, this is the bike that can. It has fuel injection, we will get it with a catalytic converter (meeting pollution restrictions without these two items will become next to impossible) and it will be street legal without power restriction.

If my DR-Z dies, I'd buy one. This is the first bike that would bring me back to BMW after I sold my R 80 G/S after 17 years a few years ago.

and this post has been rattling around my brain for weeks.

very well said and a real tease into what this bike might actually be capable of.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #229
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Bad timing Flug (although totally true), this particular bike we are talking about is directly aimed at at taking on the world top in WEC (World Enduro Championship). Finally they have the guts.
this one contradicts the previous one just a tad; though still an equally intriguing post.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #230
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
you gotta understand the intent here.
bmw is building this bike for bmw buyers and other possible exotic brand buyer. this group of buyers has the $ to spend and are loving riding in the dirt. they have big gs or road bikes and want something light to play on. at the moment they're buying ktm as it's perceived as the equivelant of bmw quality for the dirt. with this and the new x bikes bmw buyers can stay in the bmw fold for a complete range of bikes. the jap mx bikes are not the true competition. they are pereceived in a lower class. bmw would also hope ktm, husky, husaberg, aprillia bikers might cross over to them. the average jap mx rider won't. bmw is also racing to test the product they produce. that's the best way to truely test a mx bike. they never did build bikes that were competive because their motor designs are overbuild and underpowered to longevity, whereas other mfg push the performance envelope to the max with there engine at the sacrifice of some longevity. this looks to be changing.

bmw engine have always proven reliable and long running. there other systems: trannys, rears have been outsourced and the problems. if bmw made these systems as well as their engines i would have never sold mine!
and still another good post. well lunch is over. just thumpthing to think about.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #231
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
BMW has had some cutting of the teeth for sure. Out of the four races that I am aware of they finished one in the top 12 or so, the other three they experienced various mechanical or electrical gremlins which kept them from finishing. Very bold for them to take a prototype and give it trial by fire, I applaud it. Hopefully they will be able to make all of the necessary refinements and make a very reliable yet capable enduro.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #232
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
BMW has had some cutting of the teeth for sure. Out of the four races that I am aware of they finished one in the top 12 or so, the other three they experienced various mechanical or electrical gremlins which kept them from finishing. Very bold for them to take a prototype and give it trial by fire, I applaud it. Hopefully they will be able to make all of the necessary refinements and make a very reliable yet capable enduro.
your devotion to the marque would appear to sometimes cloud your thoughts. racing prototypes is a pretty standard move no? lets not give them any laurels they haven't earned.

but its the thought that counts.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #233
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Trial by (fire) mud

KTM has always fielded prototypes. I once was given a KTM 2-stroke 250 engine to test and let others ride. The engine was a prototype. I think it was remarkable that they handed this out for us to put in our frames and thrash and send in test reports.

The Japanese prototypes are very carefully controlled and once in a while a magazine editor will get to throw a leg over them. BMW has done the right thing here -- toss it in and let it rip or break while the world watches. We will all benefit as a result, just as we are with KTMs currently. BTW, the new KTM EXC is currently in prototype (beta version for you software guys) and pix have appeared on ADVRider so the BMW doesn't differ from standard test practice.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #234
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
While it might be typical in the Enduro world, it is a very non-typical move on BMW's part is my point. They try to a fault to keep it cloak and dagger while letting someone leak a spy photo here and there. It's nice to see them putting themselves in the public eye during the R&D process.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #235
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Just Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
anyone know how its been doing?
From BMW Motorrad Website The first podium position for the 450 cc

ACC race 2, Reisersberg, May 19th 2007

The Austrian Cross Country Championship (ACC) race in Reisersberg was another testing ground for the 450 cc prototype. After its start one week previously in Walldorf/Thuringia, the aim was to test the improvements to the engine. The final conclusion was that things were progressing very well.

Factory rider Simo Kirssi had the job to take the machine over the finishing line at a swift competitive speed. This worked perfectly - in fact a sensation almost occurred. The Flying Finn did not get away to an ideal start due his relatively high starting number and first had to fight his way through a pack of riders. Meanwhile the leader, ACC champion Rudi Pöschl, had built up a 30-second lead. Then the blue-red-and-whites started the chase for real. At around half time, Kirssi had got the Austrian in his sights and finally passed him - having put in the fastest lap of the race.

To avoid risking anything, a pit stop was planned. The technology was fine and there was green light for another chase - since Pöschl had just passed by once more. The same happened as in the first half of the race. Simo Kirssi caught up and passed Pöschl just before the finishing line. Unfortunately he came up against a group of overlapped riders and Pöschl was lucky enough to find a gap to pass by them. So at the end of it all, the 450 cc "only" managed second place.

But there were plenty of satisfied faces nonetheless. Kirssi was by far the fastest rider in the field and the 450 cc the fastest machine - as demonstrated by the lap times.

Simo Kirssi
Well, I can´t say I´m dissatisfied. The win was really a done deal - but that´s racing for you. There´s always a bit of luck involved. But we´ve certainly proved that the bike has the potential to win.

ACC Reisersberg
1. Rudi Pöschl, 19 laps, 2:07:02.18
2. Simo Kirssi, 19 laps, 2:07:06.36
3. Daniel Stocker, 19 laps, 2:12:46.47
4. Thomas Günther, 18 laps, 2:08:49.59
5. Mattias Fält, 18 laps, 2:12:13.81
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #236
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
I'm not talking about the bmw x650; it is the bmw 450 enduro

wondering if anyone heard or knows anything about the bmw 450 enduro that was revealed recently.
look at page 11 in the july mc consumer news.
this looks like a ripping bike. one to rival the drz's and perhaps kick the te510 and the ktm 525. let's see. anyone have any word on it?

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #237
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
photo

the ripper
Attached Images

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #238
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,061
Cool2 !

Joel Smets is racing it in the World Enduro Championships!
motomark39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #239
MF1A
Ride with the Wind

Oddometer: 258
cool!!! more pics dammit
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #240
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=4688&Page=1

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=4433&Page=1