ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #2431
AndyE_UK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: York, UK
Oddometer: 101
I've put about 30 qhrs on my 450. It had 54 hrs on it when i bought it and the dealer had done a 70 hr service on it. I've been changing oil and filters about every 10 hrs and done one valve check, the valves were at the top of their specs so i won't be doing that very often. Not made my mind up about having another 70 hr service done at 140 hrs yet. I don't race my bike, just use it for trail riding.

I think it is worth doing an oil change at about every 10 hrs (actually I change it more frequently) and also going over all the fasteners, for example I've found a subframe bolt coming adrift and also one of the silencer bolts needed retightening. I don't think its too onerous given the type of bike it is, and I think it's worth keeping the records in case of any warranty claims.
AndyE_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #2432
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding
 
WikdBeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighman
I was lookking at buying the BMW but was scared off by the maintenance needs of it. I went with the DRZ400 and am now moding the crap out of it to get the power I want. How is everyone finding the maintenance on the BMW? Just wondering if I made the right choice.
Mate.... I had a DRZ400e and spend upwards of AU$2000 making it a nice bike and in the end I still had a heavy DRZ with the latest technology from last century.
Not knocking the DRZ, it is a good general purpose bike - horses for courses and all that.
Cannot compare the G450X to a DRZ400e, they are just in different ball parks entirely.

The G450X has done 200hrs and engine has not missed a beat, valves never needed adjusting yet (I have not done a 70hr service) but I think it is important to change the oil and filter every 10hrs.

I dont race the bike but I do ride it fairly hard at times keeping up with mates who do race.

I think before they are no longer available (as per current rumors) I will be getting the 2010 model for a few more years of fantastic riding pleasure
__________________
No copyright infringment intended
WikdBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #2433
2upadv
Studly Adventurer
 
2upadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Adirondacks NY
Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61
Given that I just got my bike - of course I need to buy something for it. The previous owner did all street miles so the tires could you some freshening up.

For north jersey / new england conditions what tires are you guys running and have you stuck with stock sizing or have you gone up/down in size?
Big differance between South Jersey Sand and New England Rocks.
I use Bridgestone M59 with Bib Mousse Front and Perelli MT16 Rear with a Michelin UHD tube. Works for me

You may want to talk to some local Enduro guys and see what they are using.
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #2434
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer

The G450X has done 200hrs and engine has not missed a beat, valves never needed adjusting yet (I have not done a 70hr service) but I think it is important to change the oil and filter every 10hrs.
200 hours? congrats mate, that's the most I've heard of.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #2435
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!
 
itsgunnahurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Oddometer: 1,830
side stand bushing

Dunno if this is a problem in other countries but...
The side stand on the Australian models is of the suicide type, as soon the weight is taken off the stand, whoosh, it flicks up. Even better, if your shin or ankle is in the way, then the stand will painfully collect with that too! If you attempt to try avoid the stand by approaching the bike on the RHS, usually ends up the bike toppling over.
I saw in a local bike mag, a guy selling replacement bushings and instructions on bending the curved metal piece. The bushing as 2 o-rings so this should also help in keeping grease in the pivot.
Rang the guy up, and the bushing arrived today, very easy to fit (remove stand, bend metal tag, reassemble, voila). The stand will now stay down until it brought just past vertical... perfect!
__________________
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent...
˙˙˙buıuuɐןd ǝɹɐ sɹǝʞɔnɟ ǝsoɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ɹǝʌǝu ı
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #2436
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt
Dunno if this is a problem in other countries but...
The side stand on the Australian models is of the suicide type, as soon the weight is taken off the stand, whoosh, it flicks up. Even better, if your shin or ankle is in the way, then the stand will painfully collect with that too! If you attempt to try avoid the stand by approaching the bike on the RHS, usually ends up the bike toppling over.
I saw in a local bike mag, a guy selling replacement bushings and instructions on bending the curved metal piece. The bushing as 2 o-rings so this should also help in keeping grease in the pivot.
Rang the guy up, and the bushing arrived today, very easy to fit (remove stand, bend metal tag, reassemble, voila). The stand will now stay down until it brought just past vertical... perfect!
Far from perfect, now you need to make sure the sidestand is up every time you or someone else mounts the bike because if there is any weight above and beyond that of the bike the sidestand will bend instantly. This is particularly a problem in a retail shop where everyone wants to throw a leg over, but they are used to mountin big ass bikes with robust sidestands. I've replaced my side stand at least 3 times now,..........and I NEVER mount my G450X with sidestand deployed so I've never bent it personally.
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #2437
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding
 
WikdBeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Far from perfect, now you need to make sure the sidestand is up every time you or someone else mounts the bike because if there is any weight above and beyond that of the bike the sidestand will bend instantly. This is particularly a problem in a retail shop where everyone wants to throw a leg over, but they are used to mountin big ass bikes with robust sidestands. I've replaced my side stand at least 3 times now,..........and I NEVER mount my G450X with sidestand deployed so I've never bent it personally.
Just tell them it's a race bike and it's a bonus to even have a side stand at all
__________________
No copyright infringment intended
WikdBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #2438
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!
 
itsgunnahurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Far from perfect, now you need to make sure the sidestand is up every time you or someone else mounts the bike because if there is any weight above and beyond that of the bike the sidestand will bend instantly. This is particularly a problem in a retail shop where everyone wants to throw a leg over, but they are used to mountin big ass bikes with robust sidestands. I've replaced my side stand at least 3 times now,..........and I NEVER mount my G450X with sidestand deployed so I've never bent it personally.
Thanks.. fully understand that this side stand will (barely) just hold the bike!
It was made very clear to me (plus reading in this forum) not to mount the bike with the stand down.
In my testing of the new pivot bushing, the stand only needs to move a poopteenth (not much more than a bees dick width) before it will flick up, which is just enough time for me to pick up the bike and the made sure my shins are no where near the "stand of pain".
Has anyone fitted some other stand (trailtech etc) to the G450x?
__________________
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent...
˙˙˙buıuuɐןd ǝɹɐ sɹǝʞɔnɟ ǝsoɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ɹǝʌǝu ı
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #2439
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt
Thanks.. fully understand that this side stand will (barely) just hold the bike!
It was made very clear to me (plus reading in this forum) not to mount the bike with the stand down.
In my testing of the new pivot bushing, the stand only needs to move a poopteenth (not much more than a bees dick width) before it will flick up, which is just enough time for me to pick up the bike and the made sure my shins are no where near the "stand of pain".
Has anyone fitted some other stand (trailtech etc) to the G450x?
You must mount the bike in a different way than I do as I have no problems with the stand coming up and mounting the bike then.
__________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
09 g450x
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #2440
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!
 
itsgunnahurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
You must mount the bike in a different way than I do as I have no problems with the stand coming up and mounting the bike then.
Nah, just asking cos so many ppl complaining about how sh*tty the stand is.
Though it has caught me on the shin a couple of times so far, as I have always been in the habit of standing reasonably close the the bike when I grab the bars. Not been tempted to mount the bike while it's on the stand. I don't know how people could do that! Maybe I've never owned a dirt bike before
__________________
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent...
˙˙˙buıuuɐןd ǝɹɐ sɹǝʞɔnɟ ǝsoɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ɹǝʌǝu ı
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #2441
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt
Nah, just asking cos so many ppl complaining about how sh*tty the stand is.
Though it has caught me on the shin a couple of times so far, as I have always been in the habit of standing reasonably close the the bike when I grab the bars. Not been tempted to mount the bike while it's on the stand. I don't know how people could do that! Maybe I've never owned a dirt bike before
This is where these types of forums show the bad side. The only problems the stand mostly has had is riders sitting on the bike with the stand down mounting the bike with the stand down. The bike is so light you only need to hold the left hand grip to mount then grab the right grip. You don't even have to use the stand you can lean the bikes handle bars against trees or banks etc
__________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
09 g450x
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #2442
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!
 
itsgunnahurt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
The bike is so light you only need to hold the left hand grip to mount then grab the right grip.
Hehe you can say that again... I put the bike down in the yard this morning and got my wife to pick it, she was surprised as to how light it is. Shame it's way too tall for her to ride.
__________________
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent...
˙˙˙buıuuɐןd ǝɹɐ sɹǝʞɔnɟ ǝsoɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ɹǝʌǝu ı
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #2443
ricochetron
Adventurer
 
ricochetron's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 64
Which handguards do YOU use on the G450X?

Any perference out there on which handguards you like to use on the
G450X? Why do you like them...mounting ease...looks...etc?
ricochetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #2444
brommer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brommer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 320
as long as no trees,branches hits my hand i'm happy.

i had alu acerbis wich i broke, now i have plastick acerbis, wich do the job also.
\
brommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #2445
tundra61
I wish I had a title
 
tundra61's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: There
Oddometer: 951
I have Zeta's and they seem pretty solid.
__________________
Lots but currently:
2012 BMW GSA
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014