Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #2911
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
At the first service I would take the steering head assembly apart and pack the bearings, they are sparsely lubed on initial assembly. It is also necessary to retorque the steering head bearings every once in a while. Just inspect them for any scoring or wear marks, re-pack and re-assemble, this is the world of a competition enduro/dirt bike.

The G450X at least has real sized off-road bearings as opposed to the HP2 which has a bearing similar to an R100GS or street bike, 2/3 the size of a G450X steering head bearing, yet doing twice the work.
Has anyone here installed a grease nipple in the steering head? I have heard of this mod, but not seen where to drill. Pics anyone?
I guess that one would then fill it with grease.
Or isn't this a worth while exercise?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #2912
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Has anyone here installed a grease nipple in the steering head? I have heard of this mod, but not seen where to drill. Pics anyone?
I guess that one would then fill it with grease.
Or isn't this a worth while exercise?
I wouldn't go this route because the cavity is huge and you'd be pumping in a whole tube of grease practically to get the bearings "packed" and you don't get the benefit of inspecting the bearings and races along with the subsequent re-torquing if you just pull the bearings and hand pack them on a routine basis or whenever there is slop detected.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 AM   #2913
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
I wouldn't go this route because the cavity is huge and you'd be pumping in a whole tube of grease practically to get the bearings "packed" and you don't get the benefit of inspecting the bearings and races along with the subsequent re-torquing if you just pull the bearings and hand pack them on a routine basis or whenever there is slop detected.
Thanks, I did wondering about the sheer volume of grease.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #2914
KarlNum
Go Dam It, GO!

Oddometer: 54
Safari Gas Tanks

Need to sell both of my Safari Gas Tanks, front and rear.... PM me if your are interested. Thanks
KarlNum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #2915
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlNum View Post
Need to sell both of my Safari Gas Tanks, front and rear.... PM me if your are interested. Thanks
Stop! stop damn you! I cant stop buying crap for my bikes!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #2916
ced40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlNum View Post

PM sent.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #2917
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
So I went to the motorcycle show in NYC and a buddy was asking about the 450x and was told they dont have on display, BMW wont be selling the 450x in the USA the 2011 model . just FYI
Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2918
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
So I went to the motorcycle show in NYC and a buddy was asking about the 450x and was told they dont have on display, BMW wont be selling the 450x in the USA the 2011 model . just FYI
Unfortunately I don't think they'll be selling 2011's anywhere in the world, for that matter 2012's either.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #2919
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
I was thinking the same thing. I love the bike and feel its not the bike but BMW
who has not marketed it and trained sales people who arent dirt riders
on selling it to those who are.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #2920
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I love the bike and feel its not the bike but BMW
who has not marketed it and trained sales people who arent dirt riders
on selling it to those who are.
#1 they didn't listen to their focus groups who indicated premium components, or at least premium components tuned correctly

#2 they rushed it to market and did not refine the tuning of the products pre-production (see #1 and in particular suspension tuning)

#3 they did not do a major media launch where they had an organized dirt event and highlighted both the pluses and minuses of the bike, this was overwhelmingly true in the US market.

#4 they did not give the bike enough time to be developped once it was in the market place, it has a lot of potential with a few tweaks and the buying public is just now expressing interest in this bike on a steady basis (not just when we have a deal on one)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #2921
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Argh. No 2011 G450X. Its going to be developed congruently with a Husqvarna bike, and I presume the TE449. I think we heard about this bike a while back, with Kayaba front and rear suspension, (for some reason I thought Sachs) with whats now called a "Coaxial traction system" Basically, the swingarm pivot is split in two, to make sprocket changes a little easier.

Actually sounds like a bike with potential. Developed specifically as a WEC Enduro bike, it seems.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...te-449-preview
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #2922
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Argh. No 2011 G450X. Its going to be developed congruently with a Husqvarna bike, and I presume the TE449. I think we heard about this bike a while back, with Kayaba front and rear suspension, (for some reason I thought Sachs) with whats now called a "Coaxial traction system" Basically, the swingarm pivot is split in two, to make sprocket changes a little easier.

Actually sounds like a bike with potential. Developed specifically as a WEC Enduro bike, it seems.

My only skeptism with the Husky variant with G450X power plant is that I'm pretty sure the G450X is lighter and has more ground clearance, two majorly big pluses in my book and if it can take second two years in a row at Erzberg and podium at Romaniacs, I'd say it wasn't such a bad bike just different then the rest.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #2923
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
My only skeptism with the Husky variant with G450X power plant is that I'm pretty sure the G450X is lighter and has more ground clearance, two majorly big pluses in my book and if it can take second two years in a row at Erzberg and podium at Romaniacs, I'd say it wasn't such a bad bike just different then the rest.
They were plugging lightness as a particular selling point. They call it a flat 250 before fuel, which at 2.5g would add about 20lbs.Cant speak for the clearance, but the Husky claims 11.8, which incidentally is the same as the rear shock travel, and on the G its one inch longer.

Stagehand screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 08:56 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #2924
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Had a look at the TE449 at the Bike Expo in Melb in Nov. In my opinon, it's an ugly bike! It looks all slab sided, as opposed to other Husq models. The G450 is a good looking bike .
The 449 is the same engine, with some nice to have tweaks, and the Te511 (I think that is the model) the the G450 engine with the 480 big bore kit I saw on the Speedbrain site.
Though, to give Husq. their due, some of the changes were thought out. The fuel filler now has a shroud to prevent dirt getting into the tank.
There was a claim that on the G450, if the swingarm pivot axle got bent (how?) then it would make removal almost impossible. This was another reason for making the pivot in 2 parts.
It;s a real shame BMW didn't really develop the bike or it's marketing strategy
Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #2925
ced40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Accessories

Hello all, somewhere in here there is a list of accessories for the 450, I did not want to look at all 195 pages. Can someone please guide me to this page. I just got my new 450 yesterday. Thank you in advance.