Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #3061
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMan_79 View Post
So I guess it'll just have to be "push the bike and walk alongside it while bending down trying to spray chain lube on the chain", huh?
damn...

mine doesn't move forward at all... perfectly still...
the time's i stalled were when i was in a gear too high (too excited and forgot to drop a gear) trying to negotiate mud pools, and steep muddy hillsides.
So when it stalled, natural instinct was to just clutch in, hit the start button, and give it a teeny bit of gas to fire it up, before finally dropping gears and riding off again.... but it never works... she refuses to start in any gear 'cept neutral.
I hv no idea wat oil i'm on...i just ride and get dirty.
The local BMW dealer does everything for me, so i doubt they'd be using the cheap stuff..
Hell maybe thats just a clutch switch problem!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #3062
ced40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
In my experiences I would say it's not a good idea unfortunately. I'm sure the Speedbrain "desert kit" would be strong enough, but then you're looking at a new exhaust and midship tank to the tune of $3k or more dollars too.

The stock sub-frame is not very easy to beef up and be able to still mount the stock plastic back onto it, it definitely helps if you have an Akra muffler to save on hanging muffler weight, but you're only talking a couple of lbs there stressing that area of the subframe.

Will the giant loop mount up? Sure, but if you plan on puting anything more then 8-10lbs total (including weight of the bag) and ride any kind of offroad terrain I'm afraid it would be a recipe for a cracked subframe. The BMW subframe is only good for supporting weight in from the fuel cap location forward and I'd hope you've already ditched the oem tag/tail light as that doesn't help matters

Thanks for your help. I got this bike as a toy also, but I really wanted to go play at the Nevada desert, with some overnight gear. I guess I could take my GS or my XRL for this type of ride. I just wanted to give it try. I will stick with our single track trails around here . Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #3063
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced40 View Post
Thanks for your help. I got this bike as a toy also, but I really wanted to go play at the Nevada desert, with some overnight gear. I guess I could take my GS or my XRL for this type of ride. I just wanted to give it try. I will stick with our single track trails around here . Thanks again.
I've seen one or two tanktype bags that work pretty well, and of course the larger camelbacks are not to egregious, either.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #3064
davesmyth
Connoisseur

Oddometer: 118
Carrying gear on your G450X

Merced,

Due to the fact that the subframe is so weak, I recommend that you purchase a snug-fitting small to medium sized rucksack. I have used the following both on my bike, and over body armor:

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-98

I have the Sleeka Force 35L and absolutely love it! You can run with this thing on and it won't bounce around. It's one of those pieces of kit that they'd have to pry from my cold, dead fingers to get from me! It doesn't carry a lot of gear, so you might want to go with the Endurance 40L, or the Rocket Pak 70L (Though depending on your body type, 70L might be a lot to carry on your back while riding). Strap your tent to the rear fender and you're good to go.

I tried to order the Holan rack, but after two months of waiting I asked for a refund. Seems like a good idea, but Bobby says they don't hold up under load.

Regards,
Dave

Quote:
davesmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #3065
ced40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmyth View Post
Merced,

Due to the fact that the subframe is so weak, I recommend that you purchase a snug-fitting small to medium sized rucksack. I have used the following both on my bike, and over body armor:

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-98

I have the Sleeka Force 35L and absolutely love it! You can run with this thing on and it won't bounce around. It's one of those pieces of kit that they'd have to pry from my cold, dead fingers to get from me! It doesn't carry a lot of gear, so you might want to go with the Endurance 40L, or the Rocket Pak 70L (Though depending on your body type, 70L might be a lot to carry on your back while riding). Strap your tent to the rear fender and you're good to go.

I tried to order the Holan rack, but after two months of waiting I asked for a refund. Seems like a good idea, but Bobby says they don't hold up under load.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks Dave, I will give it try.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #3066
Principiante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Carrying gear on your G450X

I have been reading the posts and it is the consensus that you can't attach a lot of "stuff" directly to the bike. When I took some classes from Jimmy Lewis he told us that he always preferred to use a back pack and that gave him more control over the load. I was searching the website of some folks that post on this forum and they have a review of what seems to be a product with a lot of potential. You might take a look at this.

http://motorcyclejazz.com/ogio_flight_vest.htm
Principiante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #3067
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
"tank" bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principiante View Post
I have been reading the posts and it is the consensus that you can't attach a lot of "stuff" directly to the bike.
I have been using a Tourtech "tank" bag on my X ever since new. It is the model I already had in my possesion for the G650X-Challenge. I made up a second set of mounting straps and the fit is quite good and very secure while off-roading. It will hold two generously bubble-wrapped 1 liter fuel bottles with room to spare for extra gloves, rags, goggle lenses or a variety of other small items. I also wear a Camelback mule. Between the two, I am happy for any one day excursion.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #3068
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I have an older version of that Ogio Flight Vest that I received as a gift. I have never worn it, not certain why, might have to take another look. I am a big guy, I think it might be too small to wear over my enduro jacket & chest protector.

I perfer an old, very robust, MSR fanny pack that sits below my chest protector for tools and heavy stuff. I have a Camelback with a little extra capacity that I wear over my chest protector for light stuff.

I do not consider this an Adventure bike, like others have said it will be a toy. I have hours to ride/drive for any real great riding anyway...pavement or dirt. I might try to scope out a local loop of just some suburban, easy stuff, around our rivers and powerlines, but from what I have seen the ATV riders have turned everything into mud bogs.

I do not plan to do anything more than a few hours at most away from the truck and no overnight stuff, I have other bikes for that. Riding in the midwest/east works for this. I also plan to just remove the sidestand. Trees work well in the woods & a stand/lift is really better in the garage.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #3069
KarlNum
Go Dam It, GO!

Oddometer: 54
Hey Merced, I use the MoJavi bag, fits fine, will scratch your plastic real good, mine loaded weighs 14-1/2 lbs, so far no problem with the sub frame, but I think the bag distrubutes the weight around, not just sitting above/on the rear fender. Don't have a problem getting my leg over it either, but I have long legs. Also use Wolfman "Enduro Carry All" on the front above the head light and yes it will scratch too. And finally the storage in my Camelbak. We ride remote trails, in the middle of nowhere, gotta carry "stuff" for repair, survival and safe return, we do 100 - 200 miles in a day... Kyle

Quote:
I need some input here amigos. I asked before about the Giant loop on this bike, (450X) but I got no response. http://www.giantloopmoto.com/ I wonder if this would work on my bike. If it does I will take it on a long trip(dirt only) to northern Nevada. Has anybody used this bag on this bike before? Or how about a rack this big? http://holan.pl/en/product/388/2184/...rack_for_G450X I really need some input or advise on this. I have read here about the sub frame not holding any weight at all. Please share, I only have 150 miles on my G450X I was looking at the coyote or the mojavi.
KarlNum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #3070
MudMan_79
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hell maybe thats just a clutch switch problem!
Would you be so kind as to elaborate?
Thanks man.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #3071
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMan_79 View Post
Would you be so kind as to elaborate?
Thanks man.
Well I was just thinking that maybe if the thing wouldnt start unless it was in neutral, maybe the switch that lets it start in gear as long as the clutch was engaged was gefuct. Maybe I've got the logic backwards though
But also I am not sure if the case in question means the bike will crank but not turn over, or simply that it would act dead as a doornail till it was in neutral. I'm still thinking its possibly a swtich lockout of some kind, but its hard to say without pressing buttons myself
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #3072
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Well I was just thinking that maybe if the thing wouldnt start unless it was in neutral, maybe the switch that lets it start in gear as long as the clutch was engaged was gefuct. Maybe I've got the logic backwards though
But also I am not sure if the case in question means the bike will crank but not turn over, or simply that it would act dead as a doornail till it was in neutral. I'm still thinking its possibly a swtich lockout of some kind, but its hard to say without pressing buttons myself
Or could it be that the clutch is not adjusted properly and is still dragging when the lever is pulled in?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #3073
mtillustration
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My bike struggled starting in gear before the dealer replaced the battery. No problems now.
mtillustration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #3074
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer View Post
Or could it be that the clutch is not adjusted properly and is still dragging when the lever is pulled in?
yeah I mentioned that as a possibility a little earlier, but its buried in a post.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #3075
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,685
there is no clutch safety switch on the 2009 G450X, you can bump the button while it's in gear and it will lurch forward. I actually prefer not to have a safety switch on my offroad bikes as it's nice to be able to just bump the starter on a down hill section if you over brake and flame out.