Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #3181
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,204
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BMW stocks replacement parts for 30 years on their vehicles. I don't think spares\replacements should be an issue.

Also, I got an email while I was at the track (sadly on my 144), that Hyde Racing had done inventory and found a few more G450X Skid Plates.

I think my friends are doubting that I actually bought another bike. Telling them "I'm waiting on bolts from Germany" apparently sounds a little fishy

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #3182
davesmyth
Connoisseur

Oddometer: 118
Parts

I think by law a manufacturer is required to stock parts for 7 years after a model is discontinued - Bobby of BMW Atlanta can probably weigh in on this. If BMW is still manufacturing parts 30 years after the fact, it's probably because there is enough demand to generate continued production.

If my bike doesn't last more than seven years, I'll turn it into a demolition target for the boys at Ft. Bragg

Dave

P.S. I ordered my Hyde Racing skidplate a couple of days ago; I already have someone interested in my TT plate.
davesmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #3183
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Yeah.. sort of...
look here
and here if you were interested in the 480 kit from speedbrain :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmyth View Post
My BMW service manager told me that BMW sold Husky to a conglomerate in California, so it'll be interesting to see what the service/ part support is like in the future.
This is all Husqvarna stuff though. I know BMW bought Husqvarna and that the G450X engine is used in a couple of Huaqvarna bikes. I'm just wondering if BMW Motorrad has truly halted production on the BMW G450X?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #3184
davesmyth
Connoisseur

There's no 2011 G450X. Perhaps BMW will pick up the off-road initiative again after having so much success in other market sectors (S1000RR, R1200GS, F800GS, F800R, R1200RT).

It would be interesting to see BMW generate a new G450X with most of the bugs worked out; sort of like Kawasaki did with the 2010 Concours 14. Kawasaki fixed every single item that anyone complained about, and turned out a pretty incredible Sport-Tourer. Maybe BMW would offer generous trade-in incentives on a possible 2012 or 2013 G450X?

Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #3185
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,857
Thumb 20hr Valve Check

Tonight, I went to prep the bike removing panels, lower part of airfilter, remove radiator etc so I could check the valves later this week.

Ok, most of it was back and forth to the house to check the Reprom, cos I took the computer out of the garage...

Got all the bits off, and then thought, why not just check em now....
Inlet: 0.06mm Exhaust: 0.24mm
both within spec... nice one!
Pretty easy to dismantle, and I now know how to get to the spark plug if I need to!
Just gotta put it all back together.. but that will be tomorrow. It shouldn't take long!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #3186
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,857
Wicked

Quote:
Maybe BMW would offer generous trade-in incentives on a possible 2012 or 2013 G450X?

Dave
We can but dream... instead of the G450x, why not a G450RR?

Or...
How about a dual sport version, with bigger oil capacity and longer service intervals?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #3187
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
There's no 2011 G450X. Perhaps BMW will pick up the off-road initiative again after having so much success in other market sectors (S1000RR, R1200GS, F800GS, F800R, R1200RT).

It would be interesting to see BMW generate a new G450X with most of the bugs worked out; sort of like Kawasaki did with the 2010 Concours 14. Kawasaki fixed every single item that anyone complained about, and turned out a pretty incredible Sport-Tourer. Maybe BMW would offer generous trade-in incentives on a possible 2012 or 2013 G450X?

Dave
I spoke to my dealer a couple of days ago, who then spoke to the North American BMW Motorrad sales rep. She informed my dealer that he can place an order for a 2011 G450X. She also informed him that there no changes between the 2010 and 2011 G450X's, but there are 2011 G450X's, and production is still going. There has been no talk yet of discontinuing production.

I may place an order for a 2011.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #3188
davesmyth
Connoisseur

G450rr/ 2011 g450x

Thumbs up for a G450RR, or a D/S G450. That's good news that they're still producing the G450X, even if it hasn't changed. We'll see what the future holds...

Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #3189
superdirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I took my G450X on the ice road from just north of Fort McMurray to Fort Smith. It’s about 400km. As soon as I have more photos of the frozen 450 I’ll post them. In the mean time you can read the ride report here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666136
superdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #3190
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,708
For those with the Hyde Skid Plate

What do you think as far as its ability to slide over logs? I had the original plastic skid plate on, and it seemed to have a lot of friction. The aluminum TT one seems to get over easier. I'm not sure if the original was flexing around and over the log, and the TT one doesn't. I have the hyde on order, but I'm thinking it may be the same as original as far as logs. I was going to cut the front header and starter protection from the hyde, and bolt it to the TT one. Anyone tried all 3 on the logs?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #3191
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
just got around to putting a Guard it BB on last night so I will let you know this sunday how it goes. I think the stock BB does flex I have a hyde cover on my clutch cover it feel more rigid then then the plastic of the stock bb so you might not have the same issue.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3192
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I spoke to my dealer a couple of days ago, who then spoke to the North American BMW Motorrad sales rep. She informed my dealer that he can place an order for a 2011 G450X. She also informed him that there no changes between the 2010 and 2011 G450X's, but there are 2011 G450X's, and production is still going. There has been no talk yet of discontinuing production.

I may place an order for a 2011.
That's news to me, there is no way to order a 2011 through my dealer interface I just double checked 30 seconds ago before speaking out my ass. While they have not announced it, all chatter indicates there is no ongoing production for the G450X and BMW takes no official stance on disputing that rumor.

They definitely got the '10 into a better production bike then the '09, but overall I'm sure sales have not met their expectations, particularly in the USA and they only have themselves to blame for such. They had several months of USA focus groups and the feedback was pretty unanimous that the bike needed premium top of the line suspension components and what did they do? Rush a bike to market that was far from what they were racing and then just handed off un-prepped bikes to the mags to rag, that was a recipe for failure before the game even started. An OEM can get away with that for a year when they have existing platforms, but when you have a brand spanking new offering, you best get it very right from the start,....they found a way to do that with the S1000RR so it can be done.

Some Dude screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 06:46 PM
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #3193
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
I have one of those Adventure SPec bash plates and it works really well. Kinda large, but thats a good thing, for me.

BMW sold Husky to a California conglomerate? Now THEREs a rumor

I also believe that a twenty hour valve spec interval is probably overkill unless youre revving the everloving dogshit out of it. I know of a few bikes now with over 100 hours and no movement at all on them, and they havent been treated with kid gloves.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #3194
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
anyone know of a REAL kick stand to replace the POS OEM one? did they change it out on the 2010?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #3195
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 998
Given you exprience with this bike - what are your suggestions on suspenion upgrades we can do? Is it just revalve or has your expereince show that you need a full fork / shock replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
That's news to me, there is no way to order a 2011 through my dealer interface I just double checked 30 seconds ago before speaking out my ass. While they have not announced it, all chatter indicates there is no ongoing production for the G450X and BMW takes no official stance on disputing that rumor.

They definitely got the '10 into a better production bike then the '09, but overall I'm sure sales have not met their expectations, particularly in the USA and they only have themselves to blame for such. They had several months of USA focus groups and the feedback was pretty unanimous that the bike needed premium top of the line suspension components and what did they do? Rush a bike to market that was far from what they were racing and then just handed off un-prepped bikes to the mags to rag, that was a recipe for failure before the game even started. An OEM can get away with that for a year when they have existing platforms, but when you have a brand spanking new offering, you best get it very right from the start,....they found a way to do that with the S1000RR so it can be done.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote