Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #3196
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I also believe that a twenty hour valve spec interval is probably overkill unless youre revving the everloving dogshit out of it. I know of a few bikes now with over 100 hours and no movement at all on them, and they havent been treated with kid gloves.
Yeah reading all the others feedback on here, I agree, but the book of words stated otherwise and mine has been handled with kid gloves... oh sorry the rider has been handled with kid gloves, the bike just has to put up with me :)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #3197
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
anyone know of a REAL kick stand to replace the POS OEM one? did they change it out on the 2010?
Why come on and bash the bike over a side stand. By a steel stand and install it.

The 2009-2010 450 must be holding up well because the stand is the only item which comes up over and over again. Such a small thing to get you tits in a tangle over just change it out.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #3198
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
Any recommendation ?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #3199
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,723
I havent yet had a problem with the sidestand that others mention. but aside from that first thing i did with it, I rarely put any kind of pressure on it. Its weak, but not a big deal that I can tell. I just try to never give it any more than bike weight.

Speaking of riding, I havent been on it in weeks and am jonesing live a marvin or however that expression goes. I cannot WAIT to go riding again. Just got back from a small vacation in east africa and the riding looks to be freeking pheenominall. :whoa

Stagehand screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 06:38 AM Reason: TO
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #3200
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,335
Well since I am now waiting until Thursday or Friday for picking up my bike.......My brain is running wild with initial mods\etc.

I know a lot of service intervals tend to revolve around the lower oil capacity of race bikes. So my question is this. Is there a real need for an oil cooler\greater oil capacity? If so, is adding something like that a possibility for the 450X? Looking at pictures, it looks as though it could be a pita to incorporate something, but obviously with the bike in front of me...what do I know?

Any input?

Andrew

and yes, I'm more anxious to ride the fricking thing. Never ridden one ever, and am already considering selling off my 144. darn bikes, I tell yah..
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #3201
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
Given you exprience with this bike - what are your suggestions on suspenion upgrades we can do? Is it just revalve or has your expereince show that you need a full fork / shock replacement?
Send the forks and rear shock to Fast Bike Industries in Hendersonville, NC. David has come up with a very good spec for both the shims and jets in the Ohlins shock (which is as much of an issue as the front forks) and a great base setting for the Marzocchi forks. I currently have XTrig triple clamp on my bike with a set of KTM WP48's on it and Ohlins TTX inserts along with Ohlins TTX rear shock. Had David had the same settings 2 years ago for the stock suspenders I would have spent the $190 on the front fork revalve/rebuild and overhaul and another $90 on the rear shock guts. This would have me way ahead of the game because I did not get quadruple the benefits from the TTX front/rear upgrade over the stock revalve in the cost to cost ratio.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #3202
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I may be buying a 2010 in the next few days.... we'll see!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #3203
The Griz
North Forest Rider

PS does the LED tail light that comes with these bikes get brighter when the rear brake is pressed? Or is it just a running light like on the Husky's?

Also, does the BMW 'sport' silencer have a USFS approved spark arrestor?

Anyone have any issues with the decals on the plastics pealing up?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #3204
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
PS does the LED tail light that comes with these bikes get brighter when the rear brake is pressed? Or is it just a running light like on the Husky's?

Also, does the BMW 'sport' silencer have a USFS approved spark arrestor?

Anyone have any issues with the decals on the plastics pealing up?

Thanks.
Unfortunately you can't assume the LED tail light will actually arrive in the crate with the G450X USA delivered bikes. They ship them from the factory with the huge R80GS tail light assembly that meets DOT regs and then put the Euro spec LED tail light in a thin plastic baggie and tie wrap it to the license plate inside the crate. Will all the dangling and tossing around the baggie does in transit the LED tail light usually chaffs through the baggie and falls out of the crate bottom somewhere along the transit line and BMW does not easily warranty or pay to replace that part if the person who takes the bike out of the crate does not document it missing immediately upon receipt. But the LED light can be replaced if it's gone missing easy enough, it's just a matter of who's paying for it.

Not sure if the "BMW" unit has USFS approval stamped on it but it definitely is a spark arrestor.

Decals stick great, they definitely didn't use the Husqvarna decal source

Some Dude screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 01:34 PM
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #3205
davesmyth
Connoisseur

Oddometer: 118
Side Stand

kiwiAdventure,

Who carries steel sidestands for the G450X? Can you modify another brand?

Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
Why come on and bash the bike over a side stand. By a steel stand and install it.

The 2009-2010 450 must be holding up well because the stand is the only item which comes up over and over again. Such a small thing to get you tits in a tangle over just change it out.
davesmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #3206
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
Unfortunately you can't assume the LED tail light will actually arrive in the crate with the G450X USA delivered bikes. They ship them from the factory with the huge R80GS tail light assembly that meets DOT regs and then put the Euro spec LED tail light in a thin plastic baggie and tie wrap it to the license plate inside the crate. Will all the dangling and tossing around the baggie does in transit the LED tail light usually chaffs through the baggie and falls out of the crate bottom somewhere along the transit line and BMW does not easily warranty or pay to replace that part if the person who takes the bike out of the crate does not document it missing immediately upon receipt. But the LED light can be replaced if it's gone missing easy enough, it's just a matter of who's paying for it.

Not sure if the "BMW" unit has USFS approval stamped on it but it definitely is a spark arrestor.

Decals stick great, they definitely didn't use the Husqvarna decal source
Hmmm... I've heard the decals peeling up is common issue.

So does the LED tail light get brighter when the brakes are actuated?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #3207
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post

Please dont mistake my statement the Kickstand is a POS not the motorcycle. I love the 450x a kickstand is exactly that just a kickstand sadly it is not fitting for the machine it is attached too.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #3208
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Hmmm... I've heard the decals peeling up is common issue.

So does the LED tail light get brighter when the brakes are actuated?

But of course
Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #3209
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmyth View Post
kiwiAdventure,

Who carries steel sidestands for the G450X? Can you modify another brand?

Thanks,
Dave
It's sounds like the 450 is not for you
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #3210
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
Please dont mistake my statement the Kickstand is a POS not the motorcycle. I love the 450x a kickstand is exactly that just a kickstand sadly it is not fitting for the machine it is attached too.
The 450 side stand is fine. None of the 450's in Kiwi land have broken so I'm not sure why Americans have so many problems. Is the super sizing fast foods