User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #3241
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
'09 purchased

Just bought a '09 "demo" from the local BMW shop.

Should be bringing it home later in the week. Need to strip aftermarket bits off of the trade in before I drop it off.

Can't wait to get some ride time in.

Edit to add pic.

OZbeemer screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 12:06 PM
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #3242
Wild Man
Escape Artist

Oddometer: 1,471
Eh? How could fuel get in the oil reservoir?

Gents,

My local shop is perplexed by my G450X and so am I. Not sure what is going on but it's not right.

Ever since DNF'ing on Stage 2 of the SandBlast Rally this February, I haven't been able to figure out how fuel could be mixing with the oil and overfilling the reservoir. I thought I had a fuel leak when running out of gas a few miles into SS2 but then saw oil (with a fuel smell) running from the upper portion of the engine. After washing away the dirt and mud, I could see a large amount of green-colored oil coming from the air cleaner.

After bringing the bike back to CO, the local shop found the oil reservoir was half-full of fuel. I would assume that would cause an overfill situation and blow oil out the intake trumpet and soak the air filter (something I've already read from another concerned G450X owner on another forum). That's definitely where the "green" coloring was coming from as I've already found it again (in copious amounts) dripping from the left side of the bike. But how in the hell could fuel be getting into the oil? It doesn't seem like a little bit either- but rather large amounts and quickly. WTF?

The shop claims they couldn't duplicate and had drained and changed the oil before giving the bike back to me. After starting the bike and letting it run for only a couple minutes, the green oil came dripping back. Not sure how they could "miss" that... but at least the oil level in the engine appeared correct and was "fresh".

After cleaning excess oil from the air cleaner/filter (again), I took the bike out for some spirited offroad riding. It lasted about a half hour before the situation was happening again. The sight glass is overfull, fuel-smelling oil came pouring out of the fill hole when opened. Green-colored oil was dripping from the air cleaner again., as well as other "normal-colored" oil from other areas (TBD). I'm at wits end and I don't believe my local BMW shop has a clue either.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery? I've searched this forum as well as other boards but with little success. It does seem that a couple other people are experiencing similar symptoms but without the major fuel contamination of the oil as a possible source for the other issues. Need help!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #3243
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Cylinder leakdown test!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #3244
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 753
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Cylinder leakdown test!
That's my guess too!
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #3245
AndyE_UK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Fork seals - black forks

Hi,

Anyone know if the fork seals on the black forks are standard Marzocchi 45mm seals? One of mine sprung a leak, and in the UK I suspect the 'Zocchi originals are going to be a lot less than the BMW version!
AndyE_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #3246
AndyE_UK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
Gents,

My local shop is perplexed by my G450X and so am I. Not sure what is going on but it's not right.
I screwed a reply to this up, then deleted it, so this is what I meant to say.

I've found my G450X is very sensitive to how it is filled with oil. If I don't follow the exact procedure in the service manual the damn thing seems to manufacture the stuff from nowhere, blowing it out the airbox along with air filter oil. I wonder if it is just overfilled oil, particularly by the shop if they're not used to dealing with G450s (in the UK that's normally the case in my experience).

As to the fuel smell, I get the odd whiff when I change oil but do wonder if that's a by-product of overfilling if it's a stronger smell.
AndyE_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #3247
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Same Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_UK View Post

I've found my G450X is very sensitive to how it is filled with oil. If I don't follow the exact procedure in the service manual the damn thing seems to manufacture the stuff from nowhere, blowing it out the airbox along with air filter oil. I wonder if it is just overfilled oil, particularly by the shop if they're not used to dealing with G450s (in the UK that's normally the case in my experience).

I noticed oil dripping from my airbox also, and found it was due to putting in too much oil during the change.

AS far as the gas in there, no clue.
Sorry
Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #3248
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
does anyone else get a gargle sound when starting the motor? I have had this sound for some time, no water in the oil no water in the air box I cant figure out why I hear it when I am starting up?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #3249
Wild Man
Escape Artist

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_UK View Post

As to the fuel smell, I get the odd whiff when I change oil but do wonder if that's a by-product of overfilling if it's a stronger smell.

No problem Andy. Thanks for the info on your experiences. I suspect you're right on the fact that most shops have no clue how to deal with the G450s. The chain was crazy tight as well when I received the bike. Definitely not within spec. Overfilling the oil would explain almost all the symptoms except for the errant fuel.

I may have to stand there as they replace only 950ml to an empty bike. The mechanic was the one that told me that half the reservoir was full of fuel. Given the smell when I took it in, it doesn't surprise me. I'm wondering if there's a stuck or damaged fuel injector?

When the bike runs, it runs strong with no apparent issues.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #3250
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,006
Any of you guys set your bike up for multi day trips? What luggage setups do you have? Gian Loop seems for a small tent, bag and some other necessities but was wondering what other setups might be floating around out there.
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #3251
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
Well, I got to have myself a proper first time shakedown on the bike today. All I could think of while riding it was, "people are missing out!". Great bike.

I'll see if I can get vids up soon

edit....My buddy had a sweet pic from the ride: This thing climbs roofs!

Andrew

andrewgore screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 05:52 AM
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #3252
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,579
Dimension A of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
Post a drawing on what you require
...Andrew's drawing would be great.

Thanks
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #3253
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post

I know people are really freaked out over the stand, but I think you might have overdone it...ummmm...just a tad.

How do you fit that kickstand disc in your tankbag?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #3254
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
It's a magic tree stump I was planning on removing it from my back yard, but found that it was a perfect bike washing location, so it'll just have to stay. I usually wash the bikes in the driveway, but hosing all the mud off the pavement gets to be a pain.

What's everyone switching to for tires. The stock ones did surprisingly well yesterday considering the mix of conditions (snow, ice, mud, snot, uggh, etc). I just know that this will go through tires a little quicker than my 144. I really enjoyed the Michelin S12xc on my KTM 300, but I'm always up for new things. Only concerns are is grip. Not worried too much about DOT\etc.
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #3255
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
It's a magic tree stump I was planning on removing it from my back yard, but found that it was a perfect bike washing location, so it'll just have to stay. I usually wash the bikes in the driveway, but hosing all the mud off the pavement gets to be a pain.

What's everyone switching to for tires. The stock ones did surprisingly well yesterday considering the mix of conditions (snow, ice, mud, snot, uggh, etc). I just know that this will go through tires a little quicker than my 144. I really enjoyed the Michelin S12xc on my KTM 300, but I'm always up for new things. Only concerns are is grip. Not worried too much about DOT\etc.
Run whatever tire you like, all dirt bikes run on dirt correct?

seriously though, the stock FIM spec rear Metzler will not last long on or off road, but the front however is a good tire and is pretty much the same as the Pirelli MX MT32 front they had up to two years ago, loved those and have been happy with the Metz 6 day front much the same. For the rear I like Pirelli XCMH for dual sporting and the MxTra's for offroad dirt as they last a little longer then a soft compound S12 or MXMS Pirelli.