Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #3256
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
Thanks for the input. I figure if I can say "so and so told me to run this tire", then I got an excuse while out on the trails. haha, nah I know tires are all gonna slip in situations and all that jazz. I'm really not all that picky. When these are shot, I'll pick up whatever I can get on sale and roll with it.

Before I rode this weekend, the cat mysteriously disappeared from my oem exhaust. Unfortunately, it still does not flow enough to run the 50hp map. The bike would flicker out a bit in tighter situations. In the open, it ran fine though I kept the bike on the 40hp for the majority of the day and it performed flawlessly.

Just super stoked about this bike. It falls into turns better than my YZ144 and hooks up and takes off like a champ coming out of them. The rear bag hinders my overall movement, so I think that may have to go for short rides like this. It'll be nice for dual sport events though.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #3257
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
This is Speedbrain's rear suspension bracket. This Sunday will be my test ride for the new blue shock mount.

"Sometimes little things do make a big difference. As a result of lenghty test sessions, this heightened shock mount is the perfect tuning part for racers. It gives the G 450 X a more agile feeling through corners, provides additional ground clearance and shortens the wheelbase. Top quality "Made in Germany". The blue colour lets your BMW look like a factory bike".

I had my first trail ride day and the bike was better in the corners plus a lot better in the tight steep corners. The front wheel was easier to left up too. The part comes in two pieces and you use the existing bolts.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #3258
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
I had my first trail ride day and the bike was better in the corners plus a lot better in the tight steep corners. The front wheel was easier to left up too. The part comes in two pieces and you use the existing bolts.
guess they sent me two right side pieces then because there is no way to use the existing hardware on the two blue pieces they sent me. Guess it's another email to Speedbrain's customer service.

PS, I find it's best to rotate the lower spring retaining collar of the shock so that the gap is pointing down, therefore the mud and goo fall out a tad easier and less grime will accumulate on the bumpstop.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #3259
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
guess they sent me two right side pieces then because there is no way to use the existing hardware on the two blue pieces they sent me. Guess it's another email to Speedbrain's customer service.

PS, I find it's best to rotate the lower spring retaining collar of the shock so that the gap is pointing down, therefore the mud and goo fall out a tad easier and less grime will accumulate on the bumpstop.
Good luck with an email to speedbrain as they never reply.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #3260
pbreisch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I really need to stop looking at this thread. The smoking deals on the 09's are mighty tempting. The only thing saving me is the fact I live 3 hours from any single track. I will continue to live vicariously......... for now.
pbreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #3261
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbreisch View Post
I really need to stop looking at this thread. The smoking deals on the 09's are mighty tempting. The only thing saving me is the fact I live 3 hours from any single track. I will continue to live vicariously......... for now.
Where do you live?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #3262
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Good luck with an email to speedbrain as they never reply.
I've got about a 50/50 ratio of success, but being a dealer who's done about $4k with them (most of that on my bikes unfortunately) I'd like to think I might get some kind of priority.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #3263
pbreisch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
Where do you live?
Detroit

But on the bright side, in a couple years I will be surrounded by single track, lol ghost town
pbreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #3264
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
set up for tall guy

so I'm 6'5" and 240 and I know that I will need a new rear spring, but what about the springs in front? Do I need to upgrade these as well?

Are the handlebar adjustments enough or should I use some risers. I have a set of Rox pivoting risers ?

I am a fairly novice rider when it comes to singletrack etc. I won't be racing this bike anytime soon. I may try to enter a "fun" scramble towards the end of the season.

Thanks
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #3265
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZbeemer View Post
so I'm 6'5" and 240 and I know that I will need a new rear spring, but what about the springs in front? Do I need to upgrade these as well?

Are the handlebar adjustments enough or should I use some risers. I have a set of Rox pivoting risers ?

I am a fairly novice rider when it comes to singletrack etc. I won't be racing this bike anytime soon. I may try to enter a "fun" scramble towards the end of the season.

Thanks
at your weight I would suggest at least a 64nm rear spring, but a 66nm will be best.

As for the fronts, if you're pleasure riding single track then .48's will do but .50's will be better for jumps and hitting obstacles at speed. I'm 235 plus a shit ton of gear and have .50 front and 66 rear and still bottom out on water breaks at 45mph sometimes.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #3266
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
does anyone else get a gargle sound when starting the motor? I have had this sound for some time, no water in the oil no water in the air box I cant figure out why I hear it when I am starting up?
I have heard it at shut down too. I think it's oil in the crankcase breather?
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #3267
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Would you like some more Power? No Thanks.

Hey: So I rode Green Brier enduro last weekend, the trail was mostly single track with off camber and small up and down hills, and a few stick farms thrown in for fun, but the main section was over 20 miles long and at 6, 12, and 18 MPH averages. That translates to over 2 hours. I've been told by more than a few competent G450X riders, that the "right" setting for enduro's is with the race mode "off". But, being old school, I thoght, "mo' power, mo' better". Well, by the time I finished the section, I was shot. It just hits too hard in the tight stuff, and you have to work harder to get thru it. Next week, the bike should be closer to being "dialed in", and will be in 40 HP mode.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #3268
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post

The bike would flicker out a bit in tighter situations.

Andrew

The motor is tight. Once it breaks in it will get better.
Gearing it down and setting the idle higher helps.

The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #3269
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shred View Post
I have heard it at shut down too. I think it's oil in the crankcase breather?
its the oddest thing to hear form a motor I am glad I am not alone in hearing it.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #3270
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
The Shred,
I tossed the 14T front sprocket on it last night. I'll see how I like it with that this weekend. I have a feeling the more that I ride this, the more the 144 will sit in the garage.

Andrew

ps....de-catted OEM exhaust still sounds like OEM exhaust :(
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote