Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #3271
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,213
Got mine out in the world for the first time this year. Fired right up. Sounds great. Rides just like i remember it. All hail Mud season!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #3272
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Dimensions of hole spacing in new bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
guess they sent me two right side pieces then .
Hello BMW Atlanta, wondering if while yours is still off could you measure the centre distance of the holes for shock mount and swingarm please?

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #3273
rdecae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
first ride and it was great

went out on my 2009 450x this past Sunday. First dual sport ride. Nothing fancy, just went up to Parker Rd in N. Georgia and rode around there. Have a friend who has 30 acres off 60 on parker road and I rode it around there, then up parker road and some side roads. Basically it was a shake down run. Hooked up my Garmin 2730 and after a few adjustments it works great. My bike is 100% stock, but it seems geared high for my type of riding. I am 90% off road, gravel, single track. Only get on paved road to jump over to next fire or service road. maybe just need to get use to it.

Seat is hard as a rock, but to be honest, I was rarely on it. I am 6_5 and when standing on the pegs it is a long stretch to the handlebars.

overall I really liked it. I have a CR250. It was an awesome bike and I loved it. But I wanted to ride fire/service back roads that require a licensed bike. Basically I was looking for a bike to give me the same feel as my CR250. This 450x seems like a real keeper for me.
rdecae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #3274
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post
I've been told by more than a few competent G450X riders, that the "right" setting for enduro's is with the race mode "off". But, being old school, I thoght, "mo' power, mo' better". Well, by the time I finished the section, I was shot. It just hits too hard in the tight stuff, and you have to work harder to get thru it.
Jack
It took me 6 months to learn that. I was too stubborn to admit it was more than I could in the woods but all that power sure is fun for motocross!
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #3275
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shred View Post
It took me 6 months to learn that. I was too stubborn to admit it was more than I could in the woods but all that power sure is fun for motocross!
Good for wheelies too
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #3276
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Signed the papers and taking delivery of my new 2010 G450X early next week!!!

So, what all is for real supposed to come with this bike? I've heard a lot of different stories, but I regularly hear: LED tail light with smaller black license plate holder, jumper plug to activate high power mode, two other countershaft sprockets, tool kit, RepROM service manual DVD. Am I right to be expecting these things?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #3277
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 750
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Signed the papers and taking delivery of my new 2010 G450X early next week!!!

So, what all is for real supposed to come with this bike? I've heard a lot of different stories, but I regularly hear: LED tail light with smaller black license plate holder, jumper plug to activate high power mode, two other countershaft sprockets, tool kit, RepROM service manual DVD. Am I right to be expecting these things?
I did not receive the small led light or lic bracket, I was told it was not part of the 2010 pkg.I did get the 13 &15 t sprockets , offroad pipe and everything else you mentioned.
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #3278
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

i got both tailights, but only one pipe, 13 and 14 sprockets (15 on the bike), jumper plug and the CD. Tool kit? :nope

HEY congrats on the new bike. WHeelie pics, plz.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #3279
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,217
I got the tail light (as my dealer said, it's not supposed to be included), 13,14 tooth sprockets (15 on bike), power plug, tool kit. The dealer I guess was waiting on the latest repair dvd to come in? I'll pick it up this week with an oil filter as well.

THe tool kit is a joke. Only useful items were rear shock spanner & axle wrench. The other 3 tools in there were for who knows what. More useful should be the BMW Roadside Assistance.

It's been 2 days since I've ridden, and I'm already getting the shakes.
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #3280
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
I got the tail light (as my dealer said, it's not supposed to be included), 13,14 tooth sprockets (15 on bike), power plug, tool kit. The dealer I guess was waiting on the latest repair dvd to come in? I'll pick it up this week with an oil filter as well.

THe tool kit is a joke. Only useful items were rear shock spanner & axle wrench. The other 3 tools in there were for who knows what. More useful should be the BMW Roadside Assistance.

It's been 2 days since I've ridden, and I'm already getting the shakes.
When I got mine, there was a card for the BMW Roadside assistance. The dealer explained very carefully how it all worked and so on, then I turned the card over and saw it clearly stamped "Not applicable for G450x". A little bit embarressing for the sales guy!
But really, doubt they're going to come pick up my bike were I'm taking it anyway!

I guess it's like another dealership trying to sell me "Rim and Tyre" insurance for my wifes DRz. I looked at him and asked you seriously want me to pay over $400 to "insure" tyres only worth $100????
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #3281
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Should I be expecting any of these extra goodies with my '09? They didn't mention much about power plugs and such. Made it sound like it was "available" if I wanted it.
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #3282
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZbeemer View Post
Should I be expecting any of these extra goodies with my '09? They didn't mention much about power plugs and such. Made it sound like it was "available" if I wanted it.
The power plug most certainly should be, but its actually just a wire jumper, so its nothing special. The sprockets as well, I would expect. Another pipe would be a huge expense on BMW's part, I've no wonder they didnt include it everywhere. Glad I got the LED taillight in addition to the incandescent one.

Edit: I would definitely want the CD repair manual, too. Awesome resource.

Stagehand screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 06:44 AM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #3283
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Thanks Stagehand. Just trying to find out if I need to ask any "questions". Although they gave me so much for my DRZ trade in I feel bad working them any harder .

I will give them a hard time about not mentioning that the 2011 will be the last year they offer the bike.

Such as it is. None of my BMW's are still around so why should I start that trend now
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #3284
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I spoke to my dealer a couple of days ago, who then spoke to the North American BMW Motorrad sales rep. She informed my dealer that he can place an order for a 2011 G450X. She also informed him that there no changes between the 2010 and 2011 G450X's, but there are 2011 G450X's, and production is still going. There has been no talk yet of discontinuing production.

I may place an order for a 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
That's news to me, there is no way to order a 2011 through my dealer interface I just double checked 30 seconds ago before speaking out my ass. While they have not announced it, all chatter indicates there is no ongoing production for the G450X and BMW takes no official stance on disputing that rumor.

They definitely got the '10 into a better production bike then the '09, but overall I'm sure sales have not met their expectations, particularly in the USA and they only have themselves to blame for such. They had several months of USA focus groups and the feedback was pretty unanimous that the bike needed premium top of the line suspension components and what did they do? Rush a bike to market that was far from what they were racing and then just handed off un-prepped bikes to the mags to rag, that was a recipe for failure before the game even started. An OEM can get away with that for a year when they have existing platforms, but when you have a brand spanking new offering, you best get it very right from the start,....they found a way to do that with the S1000RR so it can be done.
I was wrong and Bobby of BMW Atlanta was right. The dealer that I spoke with that claimed they hadn't heard of BMW halting production of the G450X was talking out their ass. Confirmation came when I put my search for a 2010 G450X into overdrive. Every out of state BMW Motorrad dealer I talked to said that BMW doesn't even have any more G450X's in their North American distribution warehouse, and that all of the G450X's that currently exist in North America have either been purchased by consumers or distributed to dealers. I then called a local dealer that I've never worked with before and they confirmed the same. They were, however, able to find me a 2010 that arrived to a Wisconsin dealer in mid January. It's being transferred to my local dealer for me. The local dealer also went on and added that BMW actually sold the G450X design patents to Husqvarna, which is the actual reason why BMW cannot make the G450X anymore! They don't have the legal right to! Husqvarna now owns the G450X design, which is obvious of course with their new 2011 TE449 and TE510, and it's interesting to see what Husky decided to use and not to use from the G450X designs.

Al I know is that I'm glad I got my hands on a G450X, and a 2010 at that: slightly better seat, slightly better Ohlins rear shock, insanely better front forks, etc. Other positives are that I'll own an enduro that is unique, BMW will support the bike with parts for years to come, and it has a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. I couldn't be more excited!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #3285
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,217
My brother's been working with Carbon Fiber for some work projects, so he told me to not install my Hyde Skid Plate yet. He began making a mold off of it last night.

Anxious to see how it all comes out Going to try to convince him to make some sort of a front fuel tank.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote