Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #4666
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleCri View Post
Dear Folks from everywhere,

First of all Greetings from Sicily!

I'm a rookie on this bike, and, since I've bought a new Factory Replica , I'm gonna removing the indicators.

I'm sure how to remove rear indicators, since is shown in the repair's manual too, but I'm not sure on how to remove the FRONT indicators...

Need to remove the head lamp and the board computer? Then remove the frame which support the indicators, right?

or it's necessary to remove each single indicator, open it, remove connectors from the lamp holder, one of which is welded..., and then tape the cables??

Some help, and photos, would be appreciated

Best Regards

Alessio
Hi Alessio,
I don't think you'll need to dismantle the indicators. You could remove the headlight cover, then the indicator bracket and follow the wires behind the headlight and disconnect them.

The indicator switch can be removed. The one screw just above the switch itself can be removed the the switch will then slide straight out. Again, follow the wires and disconnect (or tuck the switch in behind the headlight).

Put the headlight cover back on and you're right to go!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #4667
AleCri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Hi Alessio,
I don't think you'll need to dismantle the indicators. You could remove the headlight cover, then the indicator bracket and follow the wires behind the headlight and disconnect them.

The indicator switch can be removed. The one screw just above the switch itself can be removed the the switch will then slide straight out. Again, follow the wires and disconnect (or tuck the switch in behind the headlight).

Put the headlight cover back on and you're right to go!
Hi itsgonnahurt!

Many thanks, in the meanwhile, between our jetlag, I removed the headlamp cover, and removed the indicators from the frame you posted photo about.

I also removed the rear indicators...easy!

Thanks, and greetings to your beatiful city! I still remember the delicious fish and chips at the Funkfish on the Yarra River!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #4668
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,711
Anyone tried to lower the bike any? I was thinking of picking up a second one for my brother to ride when he comes into town. I'm also trying to convince my wife to try it as well. That's where the lowering is needed, as she is only 5'3", and never been offroad. I think I'm going to have to buy a starter bike for her anyway, but if she starts to get into it, I think the 450 will still be too tall as is. I'm not sure how much one can drop the back of the bike since it seems, in my opinion, to be very sensitive to sag, and swingarm angle. Anyone done this?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4669
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Get the low seat.
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #4670
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 122
Swingarm wear at chain guide

"At 5500 miles using the bigger guard had worn over 2 millimeters out of my swingarm in a fancy trellis design as some F'ing engineer thought designing a web of plastic would be weight or cost savings and didn't think about chaffing of the swing arm. Don't say I didn't tell ya so "

Sure enough, as some dude on the internet told me, I have a nice waffle pattern grinding into the top of my swingarm from the offending part #14. I remember seeing the smaller guide in my spares, but do you think I can find it now! Until such time when it turns up or I buy another I dealt with the problem like this. I cut the big guide down to about the size of the little guide in my bandsaw. Then I added liberal chamfers at the shortened end. Also I relieved the webs on the underside at all of the points of contact with the swingarm. My wear is less than 1 millimeter, so I believe I caught it in time. At installation I completely filled the underside of the guide with silicone sealant. After tightening the screws, I filletted the silicone all around the guide with my fingers. Now it seems like there is no chance of abrasion. Fingers crossed.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #4671
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Anyone tried to lower the bike any? I was thinking of picking up a second one for my brother to ride when he comes into town. I'm also trying to convince my wife to try it as well. That's where the lowering is needed, as she is only 5'3", and never been offroad. I think I'm going to have to buy a starter bike for her anyway, but if she starts to get into it, I think the 450 will still be too tall as is. I'm not sure how much one can drop the back of the bike since it seems, in my opinion, to be very sensitive to sag, and swingarm angle. Anyone done this?
On two accounts I'd say it's not worth doing. The biggest account is a 5'3" person (male or female) is not going to have positive experiences with any 450cc dirt bike "offroad" as a first bike. Fire service roads maybe but that's where the other part of this equation of lowering the bike comes in. Shortening the rear travel of the shock to lower it really changes the leverage starting point for the shock which means very peculiar handling as we tried this for a customer with little success.

Find a CRF150 trail bike to get her feet wet and if she really loves the offroad after her starter bike try out a CR150F or something of the like.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #4672
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT SCORPION View Post
"At 5500 miles using the bigger guard had worn over 2 millimeters out of my swingarm in a fancy trellis design as some F'ing engineer thought designing a web of plastic would be weight or cost savings and didn't think about chaffing of the swing arm. Don't say I didn't tell ya so "

Sure enough, as some dude on the internet told me, I have a nice waffle pattern grinding into the top of my swingarm from the offending part #14. I remember seeing the smaller guide in my spares, but do you think I can find it now! Until such time when it turns up or I buy another I dealt with the problem like this. I cut the big guide down to about the size of the little guide in my bandsaw. Then I added liberal chamfers at the shortened end. Also I relieved the webs on the underside at all of the points of contact with the swingarm. My wear is less than 1 millimeter, so I believe I caught it in time. At installation I completely filled the underside of the guide with silicone sealant. After tightening the screws, I filletted the silicone all around the guide with my fingers. Now it seems like there is no chance of abrasion. Fingers crossed.

THE SCORPION
I wonder if a new swing arm woul be covered under warranty.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #4673
t30
Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 173
Suspension Shop

I've read several posts commenting on the "bad suspension" of the 09. I have noticed that the fork springs are kind of stiff but the rear springs seems to be within the adjustment range for my weight. Although I've really not put this bike through the paces yet experience has taught me that you have to get the suspension right.

I'm about 180lbs without gear. I'm not planning to race this bike. Its mostly going to be used for trails, although I have been known to occasionally play on an MX track.

What "reasonable mods" do you guys suggest for this supension? Looking for the biggest bangs for the buck. I don't want to get carried away if I can help it. I have a tendancy to do that with bikes....Thanks..
t30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #4674
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,220
Making sure the rear spring is in you weight range is kind of important, and getting the forks re-valved is often done. I havent dont it, yet, but I have been satisfied with the 2010 forks, and thats because I just dont know any better Other wise there is not much to be done, apart from getting one of the cool Speedbrain replica rear shock mounts made by this thread's own AndrewGore
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #4675
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
[QUOTE=AleCri;17814208}
Thanks, and greetings to your beatiful city! I still remember the delicious fish and chips at the Funkfish on the Yarra River!
[/QUOTE]
I haven't been there for quite a while but it looks like Funkfish has closed!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #4676
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Do you have a good insurance policy on your wife???

And if you're not looking to kill her, you're definitely looking to scare her off by putting her on a 450 to "try" off road riding. My dad has been riding motorcycles exclusively on the road for most of his life, and even he was put off the one time I told him to point that beast into the trail and just twist the throttle.

I wholeheartedly agree with Some Dude. If you really want to see if she likes it, pick up a little used Honda. You can probably sell it the next day for the same money if she isn't interested.

BTW, I agree from the suspension side as well. Unless you sunk A LOT of money into totally re-engineering the suspension (by that I mean probably a new swing arm and pivot design), chopping this bike down several inches would render it worthless and ill-handling.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #4677
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by t30 View Post
I've read several posts commenting on the "bad suspension" of the 09. I have noticed that the fork springs are kind of stiff but the rear springs seems to be within the adjustment range for my weight. Although I've really not put this bike through the paces yet experience has taught me that you have to get the suspension right.

I'm about 180lbs without gear. I'm not planning to race this bike. Its mostly going to be used for trails, although I have been known to occasionally play on an MX track.

What "reasonable mods" do you guys suggest for this supension? Looking for the biggest bangs for the buck. I don't want to get carried away if I can help it. I have a tendancy to do that with bikes....Thanks..
Springs will be close at your weight, however we have noticed a huge improvement in handling by re-valving the rear shock and then re-valving the front forks to match. Not that crazy expensive and really makes the bike handle super duper. For about $300 both shocks and fork can be re-vavled and fully serviced, it's worth every penny in my eyes. Had I known how good the re-valving could be, I probably wouldn't have spent upwards to $3500 is suspension, but there's no denying that a fully Ohlins TTX equipped bike rocks it!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #4678
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
So after talking with Mud Turtle, I have finally but my ass in gear and ordered a replacement EMC for my 2009. I am changing it out to address the staling issues are there any other pro's or cons to this upgrade other then the cost
Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #4679
shinysideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Suspension

I own a 2009 and can not speak for the 2010 suspension. I weigh 190, 200 with gear and water, give or take. I had to come up three spring rates on the back, (stock is 170 lbs, and they come in 10 lb increments) to properly set sag. I also bought an adapter plate from Andrew on this forum that altered the rear shock geometry, and then utilized the rebound and compression settings suggested on this forum.

The spring likely made the biggest difference. Previous to these changes, the bike was unrideable, and I considered selling it. With the above noted changes, this is my favorite trail bike, and my personal feeling is that with just under 2000 miles of trail riding the suspension is just now getting broken in.

Before revalving, I would buy the correct spring for your weight, properly set static and race sag, and then reset rebound and compression in that order. This is $50 and your time.

m

Quote:
Originally Posted by t30 View Post

shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #4680
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV NY View Post
So after talking with Mud Turtle, I have finally but my ass in gear and ordered a replacement EMC for my 2009. I am changing it out to address the staling issues are there any other pro's or cons to this upgrade other then the cost
FreeTheBeast has chronicled this well for us. I'll let him fill in the details... He got a 2010 brain for his 09 and along with the crew at Max tried all sorts of tricks in programming. His latest tidbit to us was that they increased the idle speed and it helped.

My bike is actually at the shop right now and I asked the Service Manager to increase my idle speed for the same reason - he couldn't get me a new brain for free, so we're just trying this. He didn't seem to think it would be hard to do, and in fact, he agreed, it should really help, commenting that all his other enduro bikes run a very high idle from the factory.