Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #5266
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
I'd just double check oil and air filters, wheel bearings nad chain tensions, add some swingarm grease and ride the crap out of it.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #5267
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Just got my bike back from the dealer. They did the stator bolts, and a clutch recall. I was hoping that they would do the torque limiter as well, but only 2 of the clutch plates were out of measurement with the others. Is there anything I need to check or redo? There are no leaks, and it seems to run fine. Going for a long dirt ride Tuesday to check it out.
What was the clutch and torque limiter recall?
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #5268
Gearhead001
Nut

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
I am looking at a good deal of a used 450x, just want to know how's its top end be running at close to redline what's max speed and rpm of this bike in stock form?

bmw inherited something from junkers, eh?
I had to answer this one...

I have seen well over 80 MPH in the dirt with the 14 tooth front sprocket and stock rear sprocket. I do not know what RPM that is because I was busy at the time but there was a solid 10 to 15 MPH left. With balanced tires, 15 tooth front sprocket, power plug and exhaust I really think this bike can do a solid 105 MPH. A 130lbs rider can go faster.
Gearhead001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #5269
GratefulKicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I've got to change my rear wheel bearings tonight....rear tire a bit shaky on the axle...at least I hope its the bearings.

Is this pretty easy? I've never replaced bearings before. Just picked up 4 of them and two seals. Will follow the CD-ROM as I've done with other quick fixes of this bike...what have I gotten myself into?? Will most difficult part be removing the old bearings?

Anyone care to give me some guidance...?
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #5270
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
What was the clutch and torque limiter recall?
I was having trouble with the clutch slipping when I would rev and dump trying to get over a log. The forum consensus is that it's the torque limiter. Before BMW will replace the torque limiter, they measure your clutch plates widths. If 2 or more are different from the rest, they do a torque limiter recall. If they all measure the same, (or, as in my case, one) they replace the clutch pack before they will do a torque limiter replacement.

I've got two more dual sport rides this season, so we'll see if it fixes it. I only have about 8 months of warranty left, and winter is coming.

Ice racing anyone?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #5271
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead001 View Post
I had to answer this one...

I have seen well over 80 MPH in the dirt with the 14 tooth front sprocket and stock rear sprocket. I do not know what RPM that is because I was busy at the time but there was a solid 10 to 15 MPH left. With balanced tires, 15 tooth front sprocket, power plug and exhaust I really think this bike can do a solid 105 MPH. A 130lbs rider can go faster.
I've been 104 in deep sand logged on a Garmin Zumo, 105 on flat ground also no problem. However sustaining anything over 70mph for more then 30 seconds is really gambling with the rod bearing.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #5272
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,236
More Gas!

Hey: I just finished installing this acerbis rear tank to my G450. I'll test it this week end. I ran out of gas on a stage at Rally West Virginia and don't want it to happen again.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #5273
bmwbeej
Chuck Norris

Oddometer: 15
New tank looks awesome Mr Splash! Hope you strengthend that frame...does look like a lot of weight.
bmwbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #5274
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Did you step down your own seat Jack?
Or is there a $500 speedBrian option?
I got a tear in the one corner of my OEM seat,and cant find anybody that makes a new cover.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #5275
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,236
Rear Frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbeej View Post
New tank looks awesome Mr Splash! Hope you strengthend that frame...does look like a lot of weight.
Hey: Phase one was to add 1/8" x 1" alumium stock to extend the frame and to change the bolts from 5mm to 6mm.

Phase Two will be to weld braces on the rear frame itself.

I've been running this setup with no issues, tools and 2 MSR botttles, I think the weight is appx the same.

Scotty: The seat is the BMW low seat, under $200 from Sierra BMW.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #5276
Gearhead001
Nut

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
I've been 104 in deep sand logged on a Garmin Zumo, 105 on flat ground also no problem. However sustaining anything over 70mph for more then 30 seconds is really gambling with the rod bearing.
I hear ya on the rod damage. This is one reason I pay $20 for a liter of Motorex every oil change.

I am rarely in a place where I can maintain 70mph+ for 30s. It is more like this: the turn starts to unwind, I am rolling on the throttle and grabbing gears; by the time I grab 5th, the straight is running out then hard on the brakes; start over. This will happen once or twice a ride. It is more like 2nd, 3rd then barely 4th and the straight runs out.

I find the world really goes by fast on a one lane dirt road at greater than 70mph. I also know the G450X feels great at those speeds. Very stable and predictable.
Gearhead001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #5277
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer View Post
Mine is difficult to start when cold.
I need to crank it over for a few seconds, wait for the ignition to turn itself off and try again, often repeating this cycle several times till it fires up.
Once running the bike goes fine for the rest of the day or until it cools right down again.
This has only been an issue after I had the ECU re-programmed with the 2010 program, bike is the 09 model.
I think I found the problem.
After talking to an ex automotive trade teacher I investigated the electrics looking for a high(ish) resistance connection somewhere in the ignition circuit.
First thing I looked at was the ECU relay, pulled it out and one of the spade connectors is badly rusted, same on the fuel pump relay. Both relays plug into the same base as a pair.

I will be showing this to the BMW service guys and pressing them to repair/replace at BMWs cost even though the bike is out of warranty, there should not be electrical conductors made of ferrous metal anywhere, that is poor quality control IMHO
Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #5278
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Scotty: The seat is the BMW low seat, under $200 from Sierra BMW.

Low seat?Yea,cause your only like,,what,,6'4",6'5".Thanks though,,im only 5'7",,i'll look into it.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #5279
Tranctek
Seb

Oddometer: 96
3 month in BMW Service and after WOW

Hi. I just have My Bike back from BMW after 3month. I have good fun on bike till I notice Oil on engine Have Look on photos

What You
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #5280
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranctek View Post
Hi. I just have My Bike back from BMW after 3month. I have good fun on bike till I notice Oil on engine Have Look on photos

What You
Why is a nut missing from your cover?