Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #5476
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,963
Cool2 Few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I've been looking at that. Those that have taken their 450, any prep/setup tips?
I've done the Sandblast Rally a few times on my 450. Have to carry a little extra fuel, although last year I don't believe I needed to use the spare gas. The suspension on my bike has been re-valved over the years, but otherwise, you can run the bike in the rally in stock setup.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #5477
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
I've done the Sandblast Rally a few times on my 450. Have to carry a little extra fuel, although last year I don't believe I needed to use the spare gas. The suspension on my bike has been re-valved over the years, but otherwise, you can run the bike in the rally in stock setup.
Thanks. I'll probably have to change to gearing from the looks of the video. I run 14/51 for the woods around here, and rarely get into 4th gear. Might be fun to wind it out on something besides the gravel roads around here. Do you think I can skip the extra fuel if I leave it in low power mode?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #5478
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:

Great video, ANdrew! Dont know how I missed seeing that one till now.

Quote:
Thanks. I'll probably have to change to gearing from the looks of the video. I run 14/51 for the woods around here, and rarely get into 4th gear. Might be fun to wind it out on something besides the gravel roads around here. Do you think I can skip the extra fuel if I leave it in low power mode?
I bet if you are 15/48 you'll be knocking at 100's door, low power or not. You might make it without extra fuel, but I wouldnt risk it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #5479
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
I get into 80+mph with 14/52.
100mph would be easy with a 15/48.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #5480
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Jeesuz Scott I havent been riding exceot in the driveweay for months. Cant wait to go
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #5481
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Cool2 Top end trouble last year

I had a lot of trouble at top speed last year at Sandblast. At (indicated) 85 MPH or so, the engine started to struggle. I had to back off the throttle to make it run smoothly. I also had a problem at the start of one stage (maybe stage 6). The bike died and would not start. The starter man counted me down to zero, but my bike would not go. I pushed it into the stage and kept trying to start the motor. I got off the bike and opened the fuel cap. The bike then started and kept running, so off I went...just in front of the second bike seeded after me. So I lost about 2 minutes on that stage - or were we running at 30 second intervals? Whatever. Not good. The bike didn't have any problems running up to redline in any other gears. Odd that it didn't want to get near the ton. It did in previous years. I remember seeing 106 (indicated) on some of those stages. Maybe it's time for a motor rebuild.

SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #5482
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,236
Battery Replacement

Hey: I went out to the shed today in about 35 degree temps and tried to start my 2009 X, and nothing, nada. Turns out the stock battery died after sitting for about a month and a half. Of course I made plans to ride tomorrow and didn't find out I had issues till after 4 PM, when the local Bike shops are closed. The stock battery was a YUASA YTZ 7S. I went to Walmart, where I had good luck finding a replacement battery for my old KTM LC4, and guess what, Walmart saved the day. They stock an Everstart Brand ES5LBS thats the exact size of the stock battery, and it was only $40 US.

I got it home, added the supplied acid, charged it in about 2 hours, installed it and my X fired right up.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #5483
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Laugh Nice! :~)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post
I got it home, added the supplied acid, charged it in about 2 hours, installed it and my X fired right up.

Jack
I have a Shorai in my bike. I leave my bikes on battery tenders 365 days a year. I was once told that it increases the life of a battery about 3 times...so I do it. Seems to work pretty well. I got about 4 years out of the stock G450X battery.

Jack - is there a Pine Barons 300 this year in April?

SmugMug Photo Gallary
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #5484
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
Great. I'll leave the gearing as is. I don't have a lot of sand experience, just mud and gravel. 80+ will be plenty fast.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5485
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Jeesuz Scott I havent been riding exceot in the driveweay for months. Cant wait to go

All i been ride'n is trains.

I wish i could do sandblast,,dont know if i could have my shit together in time.There will be a very good Team Ghetto turn out this year.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #5486
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Great. I'll leave the gearing as is. I don't have a lot of sand experience, just mud and gravel. 80+ will be plenty fast.

That is really push'n it with those gears.Its scream'n to get there,probily more then it should be or most guys would push it.I have never hit the limiter,,,but i havent been far away.
If i was gonna run Sand Blast i'd gear up.Give yourself and the bike some room to play.Just go up one tooth in the front and you should be golden,IMHO.
Sand is great!!!!Ask Jack hes the sandman.
Just lean back and pin it.Steer with the rear and keep the front wheel float'n.The throdle is your friend in the sand.
When in doubt,,,whip it out!

Shit,,,now i really wanta ride.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5487
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
That is really push'n it with those gears.Its scream'n to get there,probily more then it should be or most guys would push it.I have never hit the limiter,,,but i havent been far away.
If i was gonna run Sand Blast i'd gear up.Give yourself and the bike some room to play.
Just lean back and pin it.Steer with the rear and keep the front wheel float'n.The throdle is your friend in the sand.
When in doubt,,,whip it out!

Shit,,,now i really wanta ride.
Ok, I can put the 48 rear sprocket back on then. Maybe I'll steal the steering dampner from another bike in case it gets ugly.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #5488
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Ok, I can put the 48 rear sprocket back on then. Maybe I'll steal the steering dampner from another bike in case it gets ugly.

You know i have two SCOTTS dampners sitn in the tool box.I find no need to even try and put them on the X.I do have to say that long swing arm makes it the most stable 450 i ever had.I have a harder time try'n to get it to loosen up and turn then i do have'n it feel or act sloppy.
Im not big guy though,and im sure its different for everybody,but i find just a good slap on the throdle and they go straight as an arrow.
A good front tire with plenty of side knob is of more importance,there again,IMHO.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #5489
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
You know i have two SCOTTS dampners sitn in the tool box.I find no need to even try and put them on the X.I do have to say that long swing arm makes it the most stable 450 i ever had.I have a harder time try'n to get it to loosen up and turn then i do have'n it feel or act sloppy.
Im not big guy though,and im sure its different for everybody,but i find just a good slap on the throdle and they go straight as an arrow.
A good front tire with plenty of side knob is of more importance,there again,IMHO.
Thanks. That's been my experience also with the G450X. I haven't needed a dampner. I'm just trying to cover all the bases if I go.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #5490
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,236
PB300 etc.

Quote:
They call me the sandman because when I post or talk, everyone goes to sleep.

Scotty: Sorry I missed you at the Hammer run, but I was busy after the storm. Are you entering SandBlast?

Quote:
I have a Shorai in my bike. I leave my bikes on battery tenders 365 days a year. I was once told that it increases the life of a battery about 3 times...so I do it. Seems to work pretty well. I got about 4 years out of the stock G450X battery.

Jack - is there a Pine Barons 300 this year in April?

Andrew: I have a Shorai for the G450 on my desk, it's been there since the summer, I never had time to install it. But I heard they don't hold power in the cold, so I replaced it with a lead acid. I know you live up north, how do the Shorai's perform in the cold?

The 2013 PB300 will be held in November, either the week before or Thanksgiving weekend. We're working on the schedule now.

See you at sandblast, BTW Rode with Jason and friends in the PB's yesterday, a little SB Practice. The conditions were perfect.

Regards

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 11:06 AM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote