Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #46
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
On the other hand, if the rear swingarm would completely fall off the bike with just two bolts just like on a shaft drive Beemer....
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #47
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Laugh

Last news in spanish magazine Motociclismo, says that BMW has bought Husqvarna´s modern factory at Cassainete, Italy. BMW buy the factory production line, not the brand.

Looks like BMW will use its own technology and quality control but through former Husqvarna factory.

Husqvarna own production lines will remain at Varesse.

BMW aims directly to KTM.......
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #48
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Also i´ve been comparing both engines an there are many differences.
This engine is sure verry Trick, with the small clutch residing directly on te crankshaft and no chain elongation by combineing the outgoing axle wit the rotational axis of the rearfork.

The longer I look the more i like the concepts, it's really wel thougt over, dumping al kind of conservative thinking :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #49
pinkolive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
this may answer some of your questions?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/33723.html
pinkolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #50
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkolive
this may answer some of your questions?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/33723.html
Sounds like BMW has found the paralever equivelant for chain slack... but the location of the counter sprocket...
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #51
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 378
I'll keep the 525.

Just think, someone will then modify the bike to have an easier go at the c/s sprocket! Or shift it back where it belongs.........kinda goes full circle, ala convential forks on a BMW GS.

This market is swamped I can't imagine adding more bikes to the current market wide inventory.

Andy
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #52
tok-tokkie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
From being a really stodgy company for decades the BMW motorcycle division is now as innovative as Buell. Paralever, Monolever & Duolever. Even their styling is getting better (from an extremely sad base though in my opinion).
tok-tokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #53
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
As I wrote earlier, the idea of centering the swing arm pivot at the output shaft would be ideal for using a belt setup that can be fully enclosed for protection from mud, gravel etc. (think F800GS) The enclosure can be attached to or partially incorporated into (a single sided for example) the swing arm since there is no tensioner needed.

The point being that in the above use, getting to the counter sprocket wont be needed nearly as much, as it will likely last for several 10s of thousands of miles. The worst will be having to remove the swing arm, but if it last 40K miles (belt drive), it's not a big deal. OTOH: if this is designed to work with a chain and sprocket as in the pics, then changing out the sprocket could be more of a hassle pending how BMW designs the final product.

MarkC screwed with this post 03-06-2007 at 08:52 AM
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #54
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Cool2

Let´s see.........march 15th is the official market launch of G650X in Europe. I do not think BMW guys are gonna release anymore surprises in this stage.

Probably they are going to develop that 450cc and perform a great market launch on .........september?

I am glad to finally purchase an enduro bike (BMW) with 2-3years guarantee instead of 6months KTM standards.........
Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #55
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
As I wrote earlier, the idea of centering the swing arm pivot at the output shaft would be ideal for using a belt setup that can be fully enclosed for protection from mud, gravel etc. (think F800GS) The enclosure can be attached to or partially incorporated into (a single sided for example) the swing arm since there is no tensioner needed.

The point being that in the above use, getting to the counter sprocket wont be needed nearly as much, as it will likely last for several 10s of thousands of miles. The worst will be having to remove the swing arm, but if it last 40K miles (belt drive), it's not a big deal. OTOH: if this is designed to work with a chain and sprocket as in the pics, then changing out the sprocket could be more of a hassle pending how BMW designs the final product.
You sure seem sold on belt drive for dirt bikes but I'm not convinced. So you add the complexity of an enclosed system (already been tried with chains, look at some of the 1970's ISDT bikes) and what do you gain? Nada. I don't have to oil it, big deal. There's a very good reason that you don't see belt drive on dirt bikes (don't tell me about Buell, I'm talking dirt), they don't work. Chain drive is the most reliable, efficient, light weight drive system... period. You talk as if the F800GS is a done-deal with belt, if that's the case they'll sure scare me away.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #56
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
10th March is launch for the G-series, along with the K1200R sport. All of our launch bikes arrived today although we didn't have time to uncrate them. I attended a G-series technical course last week, they fired up a X-Challenge but we were not allowed to ride it. Once warm, the engine responded noticeably quicker when the throttle was blipped, can't wait to ride them.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #57
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
10th March is launch for the G-series, along with the K1200R sport. All of our launch bikes arrived today although we didn't have time to uncrate them. I attended a G-series technical course last week, they fired up a X-Challenge but we were not allowed to ride it. Once warm, the engine responded noticeably quicker when the throttle was blipped, can't wait to ride them.
Then you´ll enjoy X series 5 days before "the continent"......

By the way my BMW salesman has been in a test ride last week, he was amazed with X challenge behavior in the dirt but also with X country capabilities on technical sections.........

So........what would be the name for this BMW new generation pure enduro bikes.......... G from Gelande, for sure, cause the S from strasse is erased definitely from the X series, and would not be either on new enduro series.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #58
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
You sure seem sold on belt drive for dirt bikes but I'm not convinced. So you add the complexity of an enclosed system (already been tried with chains, look at some of the 1970's ISDT bikes) and what do you gain? Nada. I don't have to oil it, big deal. There's a very good reason that you don't see belt drive on dirt bikes (don't tell me about Buell, I'm talking dirt), they don't work. Chain drive is the most reliable, efficient, light weight drive system... period. You talk as if the F800GS is a done-deal with belt, if that's the case they'll sure scare me away.
I agree, and wouldn't want a dirt bike with belt drive with current technology. But an F800GS is not a dirt bike (likethe bike this thread is about), it would be (once it's made) an adventure touring bike.

I have no knowledge about what BMW will use for the drive train for the expected F800GS. However, since BMW already uses belt drive on the F800ST/S, it would make sense for them to use belt on the expected F800GS if it's possible to do so. It would have to be immune to sharp gravel, thick pasty mud, water crossings etc. IMO, if it can be done then BMW would be the one's to do it, they are very innovative.

A belt drive would not only save someone from having to carry (and replace on the road) a chain and sprocket kit on an RTW trip, but also be would be kind on the environment (no oil dripping from the auto chain luber etc.).

If BMW doesn’t use a belt drive on the expected F800GS, I wouldn’t be upset. If it can be done it would be a step above shaft drive (fewer mechanical parts etc.) IMH, and be a big plus for world tourers.

Anyway, we’re getting off topic.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #59
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
But an F800GS is not a dirt bike (likethe bike this thread is about), it would be (once it's made) an adventure touring bike.
Actually the thread is about the 450 Enduro but nevermind. Agreed, anything but shaft drive. Although the F800GS is an A/T, many see it as a possible rallye bike, especially if Dakar rules change to include 800cc.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #60
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool

Looks like someone's already doing something like that, though I couldn't tell you who..

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 05:07 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote