Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Best
Spin
Ever

you must work for BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDude
Built by Kymco, one of the worlds largest manufacturers of scooters...bullet proof I tells ya!!
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #812
molten
Decrepit Geezer

Oddometer: 1,060
...........$45..............

Thats the cost of a spark plug for an '06 CRF250R,
so BMW's $20 spark plug (ballpark conversion) sounds cheap....

Used to be a Champion JC8 worked in everything and cost a buck.....

Technology costs money, and that sux, but who gives a crap about money when you roll on that smooth power and do a nice long 4th gear wheelie......

Ya know that song where the dude says he's in heaven so that he can hardly breathe???? Think that with your wheelie thought...........
'11 Yamaha YZF450
molten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #813
GSDude
Banned

Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreative
Best
Spin
Ever

you must work for BMW!
Moi? Surely you jest..
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #814
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDude
AS far as pricing, you're getting a better bike, better technology with less maintenance....fwiw, the Suzuki SV650 is made in Taiwan too....as well as many others. It will be a great motorcycle...who wants a sweet 07 KTM525EXC cheep?? Ton's of mods too!!
What is your source for the Suzuki SV650 made in Taiwan" claim? Suzuki have had partnerships with Kymco and other Chinese companies for years. Suzuki also make cars in Korea, have done for ten years or more. Some scooters are made there.

I think you may be stretching it claiming "made in Taiwan" regards the SV. Some assemblies, mostly plastics, are sourced from China and Korea. But motors and chassis 100% made in Japan.

In future I'm sure we will see more and more production transferred to China/Korea, but as of now, regards Suzuki, major components are still done in Japan.

And don't forget Thailand. All the big four have factories there for both cars and bikes. And of course Triumph are now well established there as well and have been thrilled with the results. I was at Triumph and witnessed some early single sided swing arms and chassis being unpacked from the then new Thai facility. No pics allowed!

With China the old adage applies, "You get what you pay for". If BMW low ball the bids with Kymco BMW may see more warranty claims than expected until BMW sort out the contractors.

The Japanese have been in China and Korea for 20 years already, building relationships and partnerships with not only bike manufacture, but cars and thousands of electronic products among other things.

As usual, the Germans are late to the party.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #815
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 343
Wow

I think this is going to be a really great bike. I've been paying close attention to BMW in the last couple of years. Just recently, news of the S1000, and now this! And they seem to be transitioning to more reasonable prices with the most recent develpments(new models coming out). Go BMW!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #816
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 343
well, if memory serves(it might not...),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
What is your source for the Suzuki SV650 made in Taiwan" claim? Suzuki have had partnerships with Kymco and other Chinese companies for years. Suzuki also make cars in Korea, have done for ten years or more. Some scooters are made there.

I think you may be stretching it claiming "made in Taiwan" regards the SV. Some assemblies, mostly plastics, are sourced from China and Korea. But motors and chassis 100% made in Japan.

In future I'm sure we will see more and more production transferred to China/Korea, but as of now, regards Suzuki, major components are still done in Japan.

And don't forget Thailand. All the big four have factories there for both cars and bikes. And of course Triumph are now well established there as well and have been thrilled with the results. I was at Triumph and witnessed some early single sided swing arms and chassis being unpacked from the then new Thai facility. No pics allowed!

With China the old adage applies, "You get what you pay for". If BMW low ball the bids with Kymco BMW may see more warranty claims than expected until BMW sort out the contractors.

The Japanese have been in China and Korea for 20 years already, building relationships and partnerships with not only bike manufacture, but cars and thousands of electronic products among other things.

As usual, the Germans are late to the party.
Kymco does use the SV's engine in their 650 sport bike.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #817
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
bike pick up

picking up the bike in a few weeks (i hope).
wondering if you all had any advice about what i might do at my dealer at pick up. meaning, should they help me adjust sag? does it come with a dvd? do i do the power mod there and then? etc... any help on this simple question would be appreciated.

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #818
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,208
You'll need to set the bike up yourself re: suspension. The power upgrade is simply swapping over a plug-in connector on the right hand hand, should go from 40 to about 49hp. The Akra will take it up to 52 with crisper throttle response.

You should get a maintenace DVD with the bike, not sure if it covers suspension settings. The course I attended briefly talked about set-up, no different from any enduro bike from all accounts.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #819
Vanilla Face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Saw the G450 in the flesh for the first time today here in the UK. Looks like an awesome piece of kit. Goes on sale officially here in a week's time or so I was told. Very tempted but think I'll be picking up a s/h G650 Xchallenge as it suits my purposes better. But, if I had the cash I would definately have one of these in the garage. From my point of view it is streets ahead in terms of desirability over the Jap bikes.
Vanilla Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #820
brommer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
The sag is with most bikes around 30mm 35 mm.
I've read that Joel Smets uses 40-45 mm sag.

A lot is very personal i think.
BMW will deliver it with the standard setup. probable for some one of xx kg.
(how much does a standard german weights?).

From that setup you can make small changes, but always rwright down you're original setting, so you can allways go back to the standard en wright down every thing you,ve changed. Do much riding en make it 'right for you.

or do as i do leave everything at standard, go ride have fun. I think the bike is better than i am as it's rider.
brommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #821
Possu
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Face
Saw the G450 in the flesh for the first time today here in the UK. Looks like an awesome piece of kit. Goes on sale officially here in a week's time or so I was told. Very tempted but think I'll be picking up a s/h G650 Xchallenge as it suits my purposes better. But, if I had the cash I would definately have one of these in the garage. From my point of view it is streets ahead in terms of desirability over the Jap bikes.
Been on sale for months, sold three already, it's the launch that takes place on Saturday 20th September. I'll be taking our demo bike to Wales on Saturday night ready for riding on Sunday.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #822
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
I'll be taking our demo bike to Wales on Saturday night ready for riding on Sunday.
I'll be having a slice of that Sir, please.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #823
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
Is this one posted yet?

http://www.adbmag.com/ContentItem.aspx?contentID=3113
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #824
Possu
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo
I'll be having a slice of that Sir, please.
Not a problem, seems only fair after all the time you put in to the UK events & trail rides in general.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #825
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
breaking in and starting up

how is this bad boy broken in? ride it like you stole it or not? how much time do you let it warm up, or just start it and go? i seem to get a different answer from everyone......

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote