Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #121
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Has anyone managed an educated guess / prediction when this bike will be in showrooms?
I've been told by someone who works closely to the BMW design guys that the 450 Enduro will most probably be available in 2008.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #122
ratdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Hmmm - looks like another bolt or two may support the engine, thus removal of the countershaft bolt might let the swingarm drop with the engine remaining in place. Just a guess.

Front sprocket replacement would then be a piece of cake.

Regardless, how often do you change the front sprocket, and if it took 20 minutes instead of 10, so what? Constant tension would prolong the life of the existing one, and chain. The armchair "Legions of Eeyore" here are ready to criticise a prototype bike long before any concrete details are public.

What a bunch of wankers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H whiners. ;-)

Mike
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #123
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Here's a more detailed drawing of the swingarm/front sprocket.

Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #124
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
3-4lbs kick starter?????????? What would you guest the battery weighs for that electric starter??????

I'm pretty excited to see BMW put out a 450 dirt bike. But I'll wait for it to be on the show room floor before I form an opinion. I'm sure Ill like it,but wont be buy'n it.
ahem,...the KTM 450 EXC is kick start and electric start, thus it also has a battery. If the BMW doesn't have provisions for the kick start as it is fuel injected so kick start is not very practical, it now has a weight and maintenance advantage as well as less moving parts. They both have batteries.

And how can you say you're not forming an opinion yet very sure you won't be buying it?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #125
Baja Bull
Gutted Akrapovic

Oddometer: 54
If BMW does come out with a 450 I'll sell my KTM dirt bikes, which I love, and get a couple of the Beemers, because I simply CANNOT find a decent KTM service department in the L.A. area, whereas the BMW service departments are excellent.
Baja Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #126
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Notice they are under a Husqvarna EZ-Up.
Well, another rumor floating around is that BMW is entertaining buying Husqvarna.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #127
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
ahem,...the KTM 450 EXC is kick start and electric start, thus it also has a battery. If the BMW doesn't have provisions for the kick start as it is fuel injected so kick start is not very practical, it now has a weight and maintenance advantage as well as less moving parts. They both have batteries. I know the EXC's have E-starters. I just thought it was funny that you picked out that the BMW didn't have a kick-starter, and that (kick starter) would make it weigh less than a KTM. Plus, a 3-4 pound kick starter is funny all by it's self. Of cource BMW is going to be competitive in the weight of the bike, how could they not be. I'm not one of the haters here, but some of the stuff people come up with (for or against) just makes me laugh.

And how can you say you're not forming an opinion yet very sure you won't be buying it?
I like everything I have seen here on the BMW, I hope it does real well on the track and in the show rooms. I won't be buying one becouse I'm simpley not in the market for any 450, but I love see'n something new.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #128
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
If the BMW doesn't have provisions for the kick start as it is fuel injected so kick start is not very practical, it now has a weight and maintenance advantage as well as less moving parts. They both have batteries.
Kick start on a dirt bike makes more practical sense.

For example, I was riding my HP2 out in the desert about 60 miles from camp.
I hit some wide open sandy areas and stalled the bike in some talcom powder sand about knee deep. I hit the e-start once and it missed on the second attempt there was nothing but click, click, click... nothing!

Ever try pushing a dirt bike in the sand? it's not fun.

This can be an argumental point for some but my point is that many dirt bike riders find themselves in some very remote places and having the kicker there when a battery goes weak is an added plus, it gets you home.

I'm excited and very optimistic to see what BMW has in store for the dirt world and I hope Husqvarna can teach them how to build a better dirt worthy motorcycle.
On the other hand I also believe that BMW is playing there cards right by making the EPA happy, much like Honda is with there new stradegy.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #129
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Kick start on a dirt bike makes more practical sense.

For example, I was riding my HP2 out in the desert about 60 miles from camp.
I hit some wide open sandy areas and stalled the bike in some talcom powder sand about knee deep. I hit the e-start once and it missed on the second attempt there was nothing but click, click, click... nothing!

Ever try pushing a dirt bike in the sand? it's not fun.

This can be an argumental point for some but my point is that many dirt bike riders find themselves in some very remote places and having the kicker there when a battery goes weak is an added plus, it gets you home.

I'm excited and very optimistic to see what BMW has in store for the dirt world and I hope Husqvarna can teach them how to build a better dirt worthy motorcycle.
On the other hand I also believe that BMW is playing there cards right by making the EPA happy, much like Honda is with there new stradegy.

If your battery is too low to crank the starter, it's probably too low to run the fuel pump...all the kick starters in the world won't help on a fuel-injected motorcycle with a low battery...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #130
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY
If your battery is too low to crank the starter, it's probably too low to run the fuel pump...all the kick starters in the world won't help on a fuel-injected motorcycle with a low battery...
Fuel delivery was not a problem even with an extremely low battery, the low battery was the problem.
A dead battery with a kicker will get you home.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #131
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
well

I asked in the JM thread so I'll ask here

just what in fuck all does this bike do that a DRZ does not

besides cost twice as much?

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #132
Mandarax
internet insultant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
well
I asked in the JM thread so I'll ask here
Read my answer in JM.
Mandarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #133
Uther
Purposefully Wondering

Oddometer: 6
BMW Announces 450 Sport Enduro

Saw this over on BMW MOA forum

BMW motorcycle tests new concept in the competition. Employment of the 450er sport Enduro in the Enduro world championship.

Munich. The commitment of BMW motorcycle in the area haven has a long, successful tradition. To it the residents of Munich with capacity-strong machines tied like the HP2 Enduro and now their activities also on the attractive 450 cubic centimeter capacity class will expand. For pure test purposes therefore to 28. and 29 April a BMW team on a new Einzylinder Sportenduro will start with both runs to the Enduro world championship of the class E2.

The prestigious competition takes place in the southSpanish Puerto Lumbreras and meets the world-best Sportenduro drivers including their machines. In this hard surrounding field BMW motorcycle becomes its new, for which developed motorcycle concept on heart and kidneys test sporty employment. Drive as chassis-laterally offers the machine innovative technical solutions, whose competitive ability is to be proven.

As drivers the Offroad professionals Joel Smets and Sascha Eckert could be obligated. They will contribute with their experience and authority to optimize the technology of the new motorcycle. Exclusively for this purpose BMW team will go in the course of the season 2007 even when far renowned running to the start.

Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #134
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
Damn......

There goes my left nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color