User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #181
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,352
And this. . .

These aren't lakes by the way - they're just flooded wetlands which stay that way most of the year, getting deeper and shallower according to season. Kakadu is where there are 6 seasons:
Gunumelong, (mid-October to late December) the season before the monsoon, with afternoon storms
Gudjewg, (January to March) monsoon time
Banggereng, (April - that's now) the 'knock-em down' storm season!
Yegge, (May to mid-June) cooler but still a humid time so a bit misty at times,
Wurrgeng, (mid-June to mid-August) what they think is the cold weather season (30C days, 17C nights), and
Gurrung, (mid-August to mid-October) the season of hot dry weather.

Cool, huh?

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 04:56 AM
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #182
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm
First fuel stop of the day is at South Alligator, on the river of the same name. Why Alligator? Well, some twat early British explorer who clearly didn't know much biology, saw all the crocs and thought no-one would notice if he mis-named just one little river, surely? This is only 215km out of Darwin by the way, but I was planning a bit of a detour up the road and wasn't sure where I'd next get fuel.
funny all the years i lived in Darwin it never occurred to me till now that there was something strange about the name South Alligator, but i've always been a bit slow on up take but i think it sounds better than South Crocodile
Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #183
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Back on the Pig, I thought I'd go and have a look at this Cahill's Crossing on the East Alligator. There's a 'dozer working on the far shore, and even if I could cross this bloody torrent, there's no way I'd get through the deep, soft dirt on the far side. But look at that water! It's almost a meter deep, so I was going no closer!

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 04:56 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #184
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

The road out of the park heads south-west and is called, appropriately enough, the Kakadu Highway. After everything I'd seen on the Arnhem Highway it was pretty old hat, but there's always a surprise on a ride like this. I only stopped to get this one shot, but there were quite a few fires burning all up and down this road. No-one paid them any attention either, because although they looked spectacular, the undergrowth was still too green and damp to sustain a real hot fire, so they do little damage and quickly burn out. Funny watching the birds of prey hovering over the smoke waiting for some hapless furry thing to make a run for it across the road though! Birds smart enough to use fire for hunting. Not sure they lit the fires by themselves though. I mean, where would they get matches?

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:03 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #185
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

If you travel in outback Oz, you have to get a shot of a giant anthill. I think it's a rule or something. Check this baby out!

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:03 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #186
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

And then I was back in Katherine, after a 670km ride for the day. It was after 4.30pm, and with some trouble finding a cheap place to stay, I wasn't tucked away in a room until quite late. In the end I settled on the Hotel Katherine, which was fine, but I had to go up the street to a Red Rooster for dinner! No pub meals ferchrisake. The reason for the low mileage, and the similar mileage I planned for the following day, was that I had to be in a motel with cable TV sports on Sunday night - SBK donchaknow. So, end of day 9, total mileage 7936km. Tomorrow, off to the western half of the continent and yet another different world. . .

lowrpm screwed with this post 05-04-2007 at 02:56 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #187
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Keep going! Don't stop now...

I want to know what happened with your rear suspension...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #188
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Day 10, Point of departure Katherine

It was a little overcast when I set out, but it was quickly burning off and would soon be hot as hades and twice as damp, so I didn't care. Before leaving the Northern Territory for good on Day 11, I thought I better show you one of these.

Anywhere else in Australia, this 130kmh sign would be greeted with glee, but here in the NT there was no open road speed limit until last year. And the locals are not happy. Although I am quite happy cruising at anywhere between 110 and 140 depending on circumstances, you can see their point when the distance between Alice and Darwin, the only two decent sized towns/cities in the NT, is 1500km. Nothing in this place is close, and when you're out there, you really can't see the logic of slowing people down too much. Personally, I'm happy with 130 though.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:19 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #189
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
Keep going! Don't stop now...

I want to know what happened with your rear suspension...

Ah yes - that's still to come. All this time I'm thinking the bike feels like shite and if only I could wind up that shock a bit more. . . But I get ahead of myself. All I can say is that I was beginning to have serious issues with Mr Wilbur, who turns out to be innocent.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #190
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Within a few miles the scenery has changed quite dramatically from what I'd seen so far. Along with some great, sweeping roads and wide open spaces, I was now getting low hills and lots of small creeks. Check out the sky! Told you so.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:23 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #191
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,545

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #192
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

- that's all I have to say.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:25 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #193
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Out here, the first escarpments of the Gregory National Park around Victoria River begin to show themselves. This is the beginning of some majestic country and no matter how big a piece of shite your rear suspension is, it's hard to get your mind off the scenery. It's awesome. You look at pics like this and you think: yeah, nice what one can do with a camera. Well let me tell you, it's bigger, redder, greener, bluer and wider when you are actually there.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:25 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #194
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

The Victoria River Roadhouse - I didn't stop for fuel, just shade, and a drink. The nice thing was that the humidity was a lot less here than so far in the trip. Once you head west from Darwin, that's the way it goes in my experience.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:26 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #195
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Same place, looking at the other side of the road. See what I mean about the escarpment? And road trains like this one, just carrying a mixed bag of stuff, are quite common up here, linking all the smaller towns on this highway for the next 4000km or so around to Perth.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:27 AM