Doing great mate
Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #227
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,344
Stupid, stupid, stupid - part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker
Quit your bellyachin and get back to posting!
Some hard task-masters out there! Sheesh!

OK then, but before I do, I realise I skipped over something that gave me a real fright on the way out of Kakadu National Park. You remember I had a couple river crossings over the road on the way in, well obviously there were the same number on the way back out. At my age, you'd think you'd learn faster, but of course instead of being careful I figured I had this shit nailed by now, so I rode through, standing on the footpegs, looking casual and cool. . . and at a slightly higher speed.

Not much mind you, but enough to cough water over a lot of the bike. I was lucky enough not to get it straight down the intake tube, but a few km down the road, the oil warning light came on, and stayed on.

Did I get water into the engine? How far could I go before it seized? Would I start hearing rattles soon? If I kept going, would the water evaporate, or did I get too much in there and when I looked in the sightglass it'd be all white and frothy? How do I know that's what happens when you get water in your oil?

Never mind that last question. Anyway, I stopped, thinking, let's rest for a minute and think. Having failed to do the second part effectively, I restarted the engine and the light went out! Only to come back on again as soon as I moved off, so I stopped again.

I put the bike on the mainstand. No white frothy oil, but perhaps a tad low in the glass. Of course, the bike was leaning away from the kickstand side, so maybe it was okay anyway, but I did have some spare oil so I topped it up.

Then I did something incredibly intelligent. I rolled the Pig off the mainstand and, it fell over away from me because I'd parked it stupidly.

Now, on flat land, I can get the beast back up by myself, but this time it was laying over almost on the tank because of the slope. I would have got it back up eventually, but a young couple from Darwin arrived in a van and helped me within seconds (hence no pic - I mean, they already thought I was a weirdo). Turns out they were both riders and kindly pretended that this sort of thing could happen to anyone.

Here's one I prepared earlier. . .

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 06:01 AM
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #228
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Stupid, stupid, stupid - part 2

So, when I got the bike upright and started it, aside from worrying that now maybe I'd done some real damage, I was pleased to see the red oil warning light go out. Until I mounted up and rode off, anyway! At this point I figured I was in it up to my neck, but I was alone again and there was nothing for it but to keep riding.

After 20km the light began flickering and eventually went out and stayed out. Turns out all it was is water in the F@#king sensor wire!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #229
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm
There was very little out here on the grasslands, but what little there was, I was killing.
Enjoying your trip, glad to see that you are cutting down on those dangerous butterflies.
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #230
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Day11, Point of departure Kununurra

Just another gratuitous shot of Lake Kununurra on my way out of town, around 7.30am. A few miles to do today, so back on the pace with distances after three slack days of swanning about like a tourist.

I suppose at this point I should admit to something that spiced up pretty much the rest of the trip in a way that will seem funny in about 30 years. This morning, loading up the bike, I managed to injure myself in a bizarre way that allows everyone to have a good belly laugh at my expense.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:30 PM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #231
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

I call this my Charles Manson look.

Bending down to get at the bike near the rear axle at the left side, I smashed my face against the filler nozzle of my spare fuel can. Who was to know the air-bleed notch would make my forehead look like I'd taken a penknife to it and carved my initial there? Bloody as hell it was too.

So from then on, I was treated with a subtly greater level of respect whenever I took off my helmet.

Note how the engraving is not even remotely off-center? To even a casual observer this is a deliberate self-mutilation, of that there can be no doubt. And do you want to mess with a guy who thinks this is okay?

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:31 PM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #232
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

From Kununurra, you're pretty much into the eastern Kimberley, though at this point it's not too spectacular. Does keep the interest up though, with all the rock faces, hills and some nice winding roads.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:32 PM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #233
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Doesn't matter where you stop, the scenery is all around you.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:32 PM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #234
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

My brand new tyre still looks pretty good doesn't it? Shame the pressure is going down slowly and I don't notice.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:33 PM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #235
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

This is not a particularly onerous water crossing, obviously (I mean, I made it through). However, the point of this strikes me every time I do this trip. This is not the Arnhem Highway (Highway No. 347 for all I know), this is Highway 1 ferchrissakes. This year the water has receded more in this part of the country, but in earlier years at this time I've found multiple crossings which can be quite deep.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:33 PM
Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #236
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm
Eventually I found it. The strip is in fairly good nick, though I'm not keen to land here myself.

I don't know about you, but when I see places like this it makes me pause. A lot of guys flew out of here, worked here, loaded and armed here. A lot of them died. But they changed the world. Those guys built the fork in the road that steered us away from fascism and the rule of the state. I don't want to think where we'd be if these blokes - Americans, Aussies, Poms, New Zealanders, Canadians and the rest - had decided it was all a bit too hard. Salud!
Let us pause and give thanks to those who came before us and gave their all for our liberty, let us not forget their sacrifice.

E Pluribus Unum
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #237
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

In this part of the world there are a couple places which have always ignited my imagination because of their remoteness. I read about them in stories of intrepid 'round Oz riders in my youth, when this really was a hard ride. One of those places is this one: Hall's Creek. It's situated on the southern edge of the Kimberley, close to the junction of the Duncan/Buntine Rd and only a few kilometers from one of Australia's iconic outback tracks, the Tanami Road, which runs all the way from here to the heart of the country at Alice Springs - dirt all the way. Gotta love this place!

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:34 PM
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #238
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Some traditional white-feller rock art, some of it dating back to the last century (about 7 years). Good work Adrian and Chris, you twats. So why is it that every rock near the highway, no matter how remote, and every Boab tree (see more shortly) within reach of the highway, attract the artistic attention of such luminaries?

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:34 PM
Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #239
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

I'm sure we all remember this game though. This must be some primo termite realestate, huh?

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:35 PM
Old 04-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #240
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

We're now in the western Kimberley and sadly the high-rise rocks are slipping behind me, but there is more excitement ahead. We're off to Broome this evening, a pearl on the north coast.

lowrpm screwed with this post 12-31-2008 at 05:35 PM