Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
opticat OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh "Sandbox" too politically correct?

Having lived in North Central Florida for too many years, I think that the regional name needs to be changed to reflect what it is really about. Let's face the facts. Two months each year-- May and September-ish, the love bugs are so dominant that it makes riding an experience one from elsewhere is not likely to forget. And then there is the suck-oven heat of summer where it is easy for someone like me to lose 5 pounds in 100 miles from sweating alone. Yep, I'm one of those sweat hogs that can soak a helmet liner in a few hours. The heat falls between the beginning and end of love bug months. So we have between the end of October and middle of April where the weather is cool enough for that perfect ride, albeit on flat, sandy ground.

Flatistan and Sandbox might not be enough, although it is a fair description!
opticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticat View Post
Having lived in North Central Florida for too many years, I think that the regional name needs to be changed to reflect what it is really about. Let's face the facts. Two months each year-- May and September-ish, the love bugs are so dominant that it makes riding an experience one from elsewhere is not likely to forget. And then there is the suck-oven heat of summer where it is easy for someone like me to lose 5 pounds in 100 miles from sweating alone. Yep, I'm one of those sweat hogs that can soak a helmet liner in a few hours. The heat falls between the beginning and end of love bug months. So we have between the end of October and middle of April where the weather is cool enough for that perfect ride, albeit on flat, sandy ground.

Flatistan and Sandbox might not be enough, although it is a fair description!
Welcome to Florida. I can understand you dissing our fantastic state, but you forgot
1) Spiders across the trails in August / September
2) Razor sharp vines that grow across the trails in a week
3) Pissed off hunters during the Oct to Mid April perfect riding season
4) Endless roads straight as an arrow
5) Snow Birds driving around town - ya know its a snow bird when no one is driving.... or a lest the head rest covers the blue haired little lady who can see over the dash
6) And of course the Yankees who come from up north to live down here

All kidding aside, and I am kidding, I love my part of Florida and live here by choice.

Happy thoughts - no rocks - no mountains to fall off, ride all year long.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
ex250mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Every year around summer I tell myself I'm going to leave FL again. Then I remember what a pain it is to uproot and start over somewhere new. I did it once and it turned out OK, but I found myself back in FL somehow...
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,445
Cold weather sucks!

I'd rather live in Floriduh where you can ride year round. it would be nice if I could ride during the week again but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon

Oh yea, you forgot... Floriduh is the only state that you can hit 11 curves in 318 miles.

And yea, if you do any offroading, the "Sandbox" moniker is appropriate.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,901
I met the OP at bikenight locally, great guy. I don't think the intent was to put down our state, just to relate to us as a fellow resident. He will fit right in here with the group.

Hey Dave, hope to see you up at bike night again.
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
it would be nice if I could ride during the week again but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon
Aren't you running a fever
Old 06-05-2015, 04:11 AM   #7
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Aren't you running a fever

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
Mugwest

Oddometer: 7,106
Fuck you, that's why
Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 190
I've fallen in many different types of sand all over this "fine" state. Can confirm it's both there and softer than pavement.

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
opticat OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Agreed!

Yup! They tell you to just goose it and it will make it easier to get through that sugar sand. All that does is make me fall at a faster speed!

Kidding aside, we are the brave souls that have the ability to ride year round, which I wouldn't change for anything. We brave those kitten-sized banana spiders that can build and rebuild a web across a trail in minutes. If we sit to rest, perhaps in some grass, we get a case of "chiggers" and scratch ourselves until the blood flows-- even though the itchiness is never calmed. We are careful-- extremely careful into which pond we jump to cool off a bit. Yes, the elements can be a bit rough. 60-percent rain can mean not a cloud in sight from horizon to horizon, with the weather guru saying all of that rain is behind us. And then when it does eventually rain, we can try out how our snorkels work.

But we do have nicely maintained roads-- secondary roads, that have little traffic and for the most part can be extremely nice to ride on. The cops have been kind, and we have a great bunch of fellow guineapigs who are willing to try anything.
I love it here. And my respect for all who ride in this state is highly complimentary. And I can't forget those cleverly hidden beer stops-- the price is always right. And nobody gives a rats ass what you are riding. Oh, and good pizza, too, when you know where to look.

Yeah, Flatistan will do. The Anakee 3s give me a sympathetic hummmmmm every now and then, their underlying purpose acting much akin to the purr of a contented cat, its eyes resting at half-mast exeudung an aura of calmness.

Rock,on, Flatistan, and kudos to the riders of the eternal Suck-Oven!

Heading for Robbinsville next week. Dragon doesn't do it for. me, but there are an abundance of less-traveled roads that are nothing short of spectacular. Should be fun, and will give the GS a chance to sip some thin air!
opticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #11
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 6,511
Well said.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 5,042
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759359
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except your head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
waybill
wayward

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Jaydee sez: Yeah Florida sucks..why don't you sell the piece of shit tin can you pay a whole $100 a year taxes on and stay the fuck up in Minesoduh with Olga and Ole' listening Garrison Keillor reruns on da radio

Colemanfu sez: How's this weather for ya

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #14
jleyburn
Feline Shepherd

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Dang that thread has been dead for a while.

Funny responses tho.