User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
Harry Dresden PI OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Florida Sun Pass (Placement)

I have a portable (Larger older) Sun Pass, that stays in our car.
I recently bought 2 of the smaller Sun Passes units (one for each of our bikes)

I have been told you can place the Sun Passes inside non metal top and side cases and ask this group for suggestions and comments on Sun Pass placement (permanent on the bike)

I was thinking Velcro or similar inside side cases.
Harry Dresden PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
All you need to do is link your tag to your Sunpass account on their website. You do not need to carry it. I have 2 bikes, my truck, my wife's car, my boat trailer, and my box trailer done that way.

I only have the transponder in my truck.
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 90
breamann's correct. Once you register your bike with a transponder, they'll just charge you by plate. Just ignore the "$100 fine for nonpayment" signs, if they show up on certain toll roads, as your plate's already registered and you've technically already prepaid the fee on your account.

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Harry Dresden PI OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks.

I have noted that a few of the smaller sun pass controlled exits do not have people stationed and only gate crossing arms that block the exit. (For those without sun passes)

I did call Sun Pass rep a few months ago and talked to them about what you and others have told me about not needing a sun pass ... (as long as you register the plate to a sun pass account)

The sun pass "lady" told me that is true, ... with a warning they may still fine you (For gate arm violations or if they cannot get a good read on your plate) ... but if you take them to court they will throw it out 9 out of 10 times.

So my wife said pay the twenty bucks as the cost of insurance. (Wife is former LE and hates courts and tickets)

I did find the sun pass we use in our car .. registers even when in the glove box
12 inches from the windshield ... found it out when I bought my S10 and had to ride in home 100 miles with no sun pass.

So my idea is just place it inside a plastic top box or side case or under some plastic on the bike ...
Harry Dresden PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 90
Being the impatient person I am, I didn't fully read the OP. :/

I need to find a permanent place as well. I'm going to try placing it somewhere in the OEM panniers or top case. Maybe tie it to the top of a fork?

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Nope. The Sunpass folks are typical DOT employees…don't have a clue nor due they care to give you the correct answer. I have a letter somewhere from the director of Sunpass that states that as long as you are using the Sunpass lanes with the tag readers installed and have your tag linked you will not be fined.

They got me on my trailer a while back and I got a bill in the mail. I called them, and after politely pointing out that their system failed to populate the data correctly from the photo for some reason (but they where able to correlate it to my address), I was nicely told "no problem" and it was corrected.

Everybody in the state is going to this. I work in local law enforcement and deal with interfacing our systems with state and national systems; that said, my suspicion is that the Sunpass system is a total clusterfuck on the back end.

Incidentally, the only place I found to mount it on my bike when I did have one, was on the bars or in the map pocket of a tank bag. The RF signal won't penetrate much more than that..but then again, my BMW cans are stainless steel.
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #7
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 520
IF I remember mine, it lives in the top of my tankbag. That said, I have gone as far as adding bikes I "forgot" to add after getting a notification in the mail. Never an issue.

If you're talking about the stickers, I'd stick it to a piece of plastic like plexiglass or something durable and make it portable ish.

Or you could temporarily tape it where you think you want it and test before committing to a permanent place. Good excuse to go ride.