Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #8926
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
greetings from Tulsa, OK... riding your way in a few weeks depending on weather.
hope to hook up and ride with a few of you folks in Florida

Depending on when you get here, I'd be up for showing you around Ocala Natl Forest.

Make sure you have some knobs on your steed. There's a little bit of sand down here.

Edit...

I noticed you have a couple of BMW motersickles (sorry, a little PUI here). Probably not the choice bike for riding ONF. You can do it but... it'll be a little bit of a challenge.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff

Dr.Z screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 11:20 PM
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #8927
BigJohn_LP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Depending on when you get here, I'd be up for showing you around Ocala Natl Forest.
I'm down to tag along.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #8928
scooterdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
greetings from Tulsa, OK... riding your way in a few weeks depending on weather.
hope to hook up and ride with a few of you folks in Florida
from a fellow Okie welcome! +1 to tag along as well
scooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #8929
Metalman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIUP View Post
Anyone riding Croom this Sunday? 3/11
Headed to Supercross this weekend!! . . . . catch ya next week buddy!!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #8930
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 295
Kirk,

You and Cam have fun. And tell Frenchy beer drinking is good for rehabilitating that wrist!!!!

Jerry
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #8931
HuckFarley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Any meet ups to ride Ocala Sun. 3/11? Two snow fleas w/ Dr-z's and knobs need some tour guides since your fearless leader sold his bike. I've been out with some of you the last two bike weeks, but it's WAY more relaxing to follow the leader. Free lunch and sand newbie stupid human tricks included (ask anyone who went on my last Ocala ride) Thanks.
HuckFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #8932
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:

Make sure you have some knobs on your steed. There's a little bit of sand down here.

Edit...

I noticed you have a couple of BMW motersickles (sorry, a little PUI here). Probably not the choice bike for riding ONF. You can do it but... it'll be a little bit of a challenge.
thanks... will be on R80G/S with Shinko 705 tires on. which is mostly street bias to get down there. knobs would not get far on the highway. would love to get a tour!

here's what rear tire looks like
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #8933
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckFarley View Post
Any meet ups to ride Ocala Sun. 3/11? Two snow fleas w/ Dr-z's and knobs need some tour guides since your fearless leader sold his bike. I've been out with some of you the last two bike weeks, but it's WAY more relaxing to follow the leader. Free lunch and sand newbie stupid human tricks included (ask anyone who went on my last Ocala ride) Thanks.

Can't make it tomorrow, mang!

If you like, I can send you quite a bit of gpx tracks of ONF and ride what you like.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #8934
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
thanks... will be on R80G/S with Shinko 705 tires on. which is mostly street bias to get down there. knobs would not get far on the highway. would love to get a tour!

here's what rear tire looks like

Shinko 705 at ONF = lots of thrills & spills unless you confine your riding to the hard pack dirt roads. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'll definitely be working your ass off.

I have a V-Strom 1000 with the same tires on it and, while you can ride some dirt with them, it gets pretty squirrely when you get into deep sand.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #8935
BigJohn_LP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wicked Can Vouch 4 That

Quote:
I can send you quite a bit of gpx tracks of ONF and ride what you like.
He graciously sent me plenty. It was pretty much awesomeness weekend b/c of him.

Thanks again Eloy. Sorry I missed this weekend. We'll get together soon though.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #8936
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Shinko 705 at ONF = lots of thrills & spills unless you confine your riding to the hard pack dirt roads. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'll definitely be working your ass off.

I have a V-Strom 1000 with the same tires on it and, while you can ride some dirt with them, it gets pretty squirrely when you get into deep sand.
got another set of tires on the way, don't know if they will make it on time. weather may turn terrible delaying trip. allowing time to mount ... what about Heindenau K-60?

what type of terrain does Ocala Natl Forest have? will be fully loaded in touring mode

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 01:40 AM
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #8937
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:

what type of terrain does Ocala Natl Forest have? will be fully loaded in touring mode

You'll hit some deep, soft sand along the way somewhere. It's inevitable!

There are some hard packed roads but they are rather straight and boring. The Shinkos or Heidenaus are OK for that. If you want to hit the good stuff, you'll run into deep sand, water, mud, roots, downed trees, etc.

From the first page of this thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=1

Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #8938
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,883
Big bikes + 50/50 tires + Ocala NF sugar sand = No fun
AAMOF many 1st timers crash their airheads just coming in the driveway at the Scrub.

Even proper Full knobs can leave you pissing blood. Stick to the orange clay grades and you may be fine.

jaydee1445 screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 07:40 AM
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #8939
HuckFarley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
We had a great time in Ocala today, no problems navigating. This winter I altered my GPS power cord with an SAE (battery tender style ) connector and had no power interuptions. We rode west from Wire Grass lot, past Big Scrub and down Road 18 to a boat launch. Once I was confident that it was easy to find my way back we just started hitting any routes we wanted. It was my first time there with only a group of two, so we just kicked around at our own pace. Best riding conditions out there after the rain, no dust and a lot of packed sand, and I only went around two puddles the whole day. Stopped back at the truck, then rode around another hour on some nice jeep roads adjacent to Wire Grass lot.Total milage in ONF was about 70, I still don't have sand legs back, my buddy was a newbie to sand and he did well, says he needs another day of courage gathering, as do I (last year's newbie dropped me off at the hospital on the way home!)
Tomorrow we're going to explore north of 40 with a group of three and hit the flattrack race at Barberville on the way back to the beach. If any Fleas or tourists want to hook up I'll come up with a meeting time at Wire Grass lot. Meet up will be early though, 8 am cause we want to be at the race at 1pm.
HuckFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #8940
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You'll hit some deep, soft sand along the way somewhere. It's inevitable!

There are some hard packed roads but they are rather straight and boring. The Shinkos or Heidenaus are OK for that. If you want to hit the good stuff, you'll run into deep sand, water, mud, roots, downed trees, etc.

From the first page of this thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=1
OK.. thanks for the link to typical trail action there. looks like light dirt bike with full on knobs is steed of choice. R80G/S weight 368 dry...+ 9 gal fuel = 450 ...fully loaded is pushing 485lb

if I drop the gear with 4 gal fuel .. weight under 400lb ... light for a dual sport, but still a pig