User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Oddometer: 205
Question Who knows 1979 DS 125 Suzuki

This was just down the street from me this weekend with a FREE sign so I could not pass that up.

Other than broken off fenders and funked up carb, it is actually in better shape than some bikes I have payed for.

Cleanish Tank, seems to have some compression, very little rust.

Any advice for this bike before I tear in

What is up with the CCI oil injection? Does it just add to the fuel or does it lube something?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
MPH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Looks a lot like my original, I-bought-it-new 1978 TS185. Yeah, the CCI system squirts oil directly on crank bearings, so it's generally NOT recommended to do away with it and run premix. Mine starts on the 2nd kick every time and instantly, I'm 13 years old again.

Great bike, will run (and provide smiles) forever.

Mark
Attached Images

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Cool bike, leave the CCI on it as they never go belly up and mixing is a pain in the ass. Easy to rebuild the whole motor if needed and with care it'll last forever.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
rcintx
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just got my '81 TS100 running again. Sat for 10 years, cleaned the carb, fired right up. Fun little bikes...
rcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Do you push the choke lever down or lift it up for choke????
Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
MPH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Choke is down. Mine has a "1/2-choke" position midway up, then full-up is run position.

Mark
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Looks like my free 1978 DS100!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Any Idea on a good compression psi for this thing?

I am at about 95psi...I figure I will need to put new case seals and top end for any good use but it is always fun to get a bike running with what you have.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 600
Luv It

Man that brings back memories. My first bike was a DS125 back in 1978!!!!
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Itchybruno47
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question speaking of ds 125's..I just snagged a cheapo running 79

Hey gang.. First post here. wondering if someone can answer a possibly stupid question here for me.
I say possibly stupid because I have not pulled the oil pump yet and that will probably answer my question, but I figured asking here wouldn't hurt.
So heres the deal.. been losing crank case / gear oil pretty rapidly, and pulled everything that i figured was associated with an external connection to the crank case, cleaned it all up for the first time since picking this beast up, and figured I needed to replace sooner than later the seals that are behind the shift kick, and the main drive gear shaft, as there was a little bit of seepage past these seals. Cleaned everything up as well as doing the carb, oil change, spark plug gap and clean, flushed all the lines, and cleaned out the oil reservoir for the injection supply. threw it all back together, and man it started up like a beast. much better than when I purchased it. heres the weird one, and finally the question....took it for a rip around the farm for about ten minutes and came back home and parked it and hopped off to see where the oil was actually coming from. Turns out it is coming from behind the housing cover for the oil injection pump. I repeat now, it is crank oil, and not the blue two stroke oil injected into the carb. Pulled the oil pump cover and it seems as if it is coming from BEHIND the oil pump itself. QUESTION: Is there a gasket or some sort of connection behind the oil pump that goes directly into the crank case / gear box? If not, where the hell could this crank / gear oil be coming from that it is literally pouring out from where the 2 stroke opil pump is...even though i did not even TOUCH the oil pump. any and all info is much appreciated.
Thanks ahead, gang
Daz ...aka Itchybruno
Please feel free to move this to where it might be better suited mods! I apologize now if I posted in the wrong spot.
Itchybruno47 is offline   Reply With Quote