User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 702
Unintentional Second Projects

How many of you have bought a bike specifically so you'd have something to ride while you continued slogging through that bogged-down restoration/repair/modification that's been moldering the back of the garage . . . only to have it quickly devolve into a second project that's just as involved and expensive as your "real" project?

I bought this CL125S because it was identical to my first bike, and it just needed a little "freshening up."

Nope! Both the muffler and tank turned out to be rotted out on the bottom, the speedo was inop, shifter seal leaks like a sieve. Now warm weather is here and all I have is more stuff to delay the completion of my other bike.

Tanshanomi screwed with this post 03-22-2015 at 01:03 PM
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfist7 View Post
Plus your kickstarter is screwed up, and the rear brake linings are worn down almost to the metal.

Yes, those are things I knew about. This photo was taken when I first brought the bike home. The kickstart lever was just oriented on the splines wrong.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
vanislejay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I've been there way to many times. Spending more time working on what was supposed to be the daily rider mostly because they are small quick fixes and not the complete rebuild that is in the garage. And then the worst is when you get attached to the new bike because you've been riding it for a season and you are starting to really like it.
vanislejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 691
I haven't done that, but I did pick up an "extra" bike once along with the one I really wanted. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but thought there was no harm in letting it sit while I worked on the main bike.

So while I worked on my "real" project I was putting ideas together for that one... and when I found something that would work on it I bought it. At some point it became my main project, I "finished" it a few years ago. The initial "main" project still isn't anywhere near done.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote