Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #166
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
Makes me wonder what you shaft drive guys do for fun. Lube splines?
Har!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #167
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,442
Free bike, hole in one, you are one lucky man, I trust you buy a lottery ticket on your beer runs!
Tip of the day: make your side panels from a rubber office trash can. I got one from Lowes for $4, made a wind shield extension for my Yamaha TW200, flexible black plastic. I'm going to get another and make (the un-obtainable) side panels for the Honda TL250.
I laughed when I first saw the wood panniers your ingenuity and skills are admirable.
james
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #168
Siorc
Commuter with aspirations

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
Only a month before I leave for Hell's Canyon, so I need to get this thing dialed.
Great write up and great bike!
Hey, when are you planning on going to Hell's Canyon? I'm planning to pass through there the first week of June. . . .
Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #169
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siorc
Great write up and great bike!
Hey, when are you planning on going to Hell's Canyon? I'm planning to pass through there the first week of June. . . .
June 6-8, this ride:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284743

Check out the thread, feel free to join us!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #170
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
Tip of the day: make your side panels from a rubber office trash can. I got one from Lowes for $4, made a wind shield extension for my Yamaha TW200, flexible black plastic. I'm going to get another and make (the un-obtainable) side panels for the Honda TL250.
I really like that idea - thanks. I have been noodling on a wind defelector / windshield, but struggling with what to make it out of.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #171
smax
nobody special

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
Great idea! I was planning on using some aluminum camping bowls but if that doesn't work the trash can idea sounds like it'll suffice. Thanks.

smax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #172
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Seeing these old SL's sure brings back memories. I put 40K miles on a couple SL350's back in the days when they and I were younger. As fas as gearing went I found an 18T front sprocket that just barely fit behind the clutch pushrod. It made highway riding more enjoyable plus it was easy to change back to stock 16T for around town running. The same chain length worked for both too. Hope to see your bike in Hell's canyon.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #173
swevev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hope you are having fun

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your forum posts. They were very informative and the pictures help a lot. I just got a CL 350 and your posts gave me some much needed courage to try and fix her up a little. It is now running pretty good and I am riding daily to work.

Again I hope your trip is going well.

Max
swevev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #174
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Thanks for the positive feedback all.

I rode 630 miles on the SL last weekend. The ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350351
Mine starts on page 5.

I even had to change my screen name, as I was deemed Mr. Vintage by the other inmates. Somehow I managed to keep up with much bigger, modern machinery.

The bike worked great! I had a few minor issues - the kickstand bent (again) with the added weight of my gear, and my voltmeter and GPS refused to work reliably on the vibrating bike. I reinforced the kickstand so that won't happen again.

I came out of the restaurant at lunch on Saturday and turned the gas on, only to go back in and use the restroom. When I returned I was greeted with a big puddle of gas, so a gave the carb a swift kick to un-stick the float. Radioman looked concerned - seems he doesn't have to do that with his fuel-injected GS.

The high beam burned out the other night, and Honda says they are NLA. Anyone have a good HM-14M bulb laying around?

Mr. Vintage screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 02:16 PM
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #175
GodOmelet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Turn Signals?

Yo, Mr. Vintage. I have also been restoring a sl350 that had been protected by the elements in my neighbor's back yard before I convinced her to let me help clean it "out of her way" (I'm working on posting some pics soon), this one is a 1970, also w/o turn signals. I saw your nice work on adding signals and wondered 1) where you got them, 2) whether you had to wire them from scratch or whether there is some measure of existing accomodation in the harness, and 3) what kind of switch you ended up using to actuate said signals. Any info/guidance would be great. Thanks!
GdO
GodOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #176
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOmelet
this one is a 1970, also w/o turn signals.
Sounds like your SL350 is a K0. The wiring harness should be the same as other 350 twins, and has connections for signals. The wiring is nicely color coded and labeled on the wiring diagram. Replace the left lever/mirror/switch bracket with one from any 350 with signals and you'll have a signal switch.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #177
GodOmelet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Cool, thanks. Yeah it is a K0 Mr. Slim. As there is no flasher relay on the bike, I can't help but think I will have to add some circuits that aren't there yet and unwrap the harness to do so- or were these meant to be easy to convert? Otherwise, I've got it running well after fussing with carbs and getting a modern rectifier from Oregon Vintage and can't wait to make it legal. Someday soon I'll teach myself how to weld and hopefully end up some great racks like you did, Vintage. BTW, great site everybody!
GodOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #178
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOmelet
As there is no flasher relay on the bike, I can't help but think I will have to add some circuits that aren't there yet and unwrap the harness to do so- or were these meant to be easy to convert?
I think it's the same wiring harness regardless of the model, so all the conections required for signals and the "winker relay" are right where they need to be, no unwrapping or mods to the harness required. I think.

Here in Pennsylvania, we consider safety and common sense to be highly overated, so signals aren't required on vintage bikes that didn't have them originally. My buddies 500cc Triumph chop doesn't have them either, I'll have to ask what's the deal on that.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #179
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I read the entire thread and enjoyed every minute.

I have three old 70's XL 125's in the shop and two XL 650 Yamahas out there too, waiting for the same treatment.
I think you've inspired me to go ahead and rebuild my son's little Honda 125.

I gave him an XL bike in 1989 to ride for his 15th B Day. Ended up having to get three spare motors for it and was constantly having to rebuild them. Eventually I decided to teach him how to rebuild them by himself then told him from now on, you do all the work. Funny thing, he only rebuilt one, then his engines suddenly stopped going out on him.
He finally quit thrashing the little bike once he found out hard much work it meant getting it rebuilt again.

He's 32 now and I still have the Original and two more we used for parts bikes. Last time he was over to the shop I had his old bike on the stand and showed it to him. He got all excited and vowed to help me restore it.
I think he wants to take his kids for a ride on it.

Course I'll probaly have to do all the work again, he's too busy with his family to drive out here much.

But after seeing your rebuild, I don't think I'll mind.

Curtis
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #180
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
I met Mr. Vintage and this sweet bike on the top of Moscow Mountain today. It was fun to come back home and read this thread. I will need to take a closer look at that bike next time I see it to properly appreciate it. Anyway, it was good to meet you Mr. Vintage, and I am glad to see you kept your promise to get the SL dirty.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote