ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #181
GodOmelet
Adventurer
 
GodOmelet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 79
Still wondering about signals

Well, I took my SL to get inspected and the signals weren't an issue- in Utah at least they weren't mandatory until '73. I still want them though. Anyone know a good source for a kit that's low profile like Mr. Vintage's set?

Also, Mr. Vintage, does your SL make a lot of noise while in neutral? Mine sounds like the pinion gear on the kick starter is not completely disengaged or something. At first I thought it was the cam chain, but this noise is definitely coming from right around the kickstart shaft. I guess I'll have an excuse to split the cases and do a complete rebuild too!
GodOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #182
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
Wow, I've been on vacation and away from the computer, and there is all sorts of activity here! I've been riding the bike almost every day, and haven't had much reason to post - the SL just works. It's due for an oil change and I can hear some tappet noise, so a service is in order soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOmelet
As there is no flasher relay on the bike, I can't help but think I will have to add some circuits that aren't there yet and unwrap the harness to do so- or were these meant to be easy to convert? Otherwise, I've got it running well after fussing with carbs and getting a modern rectifier from Oregon Vintage and can't wait to make it legal. Someday soon I'll teach myself how to weld and hopefully end up some great racks like you did, Vintage. BTW, great site everybody!
As Slim said, the wiring is mostly there. What you'll need is the lights themselves (I got mine from Dennis Kirk online), a switch with wiring (mine's from a CB350), and a blinker. The front signal and switch provision wiring is all there in the headlight, the rear signal wiring is under the seat, and the flasher is connected to a grey and a black wire that come out of the harness near the rectumfire. I made the mounts for the front and rear - there didn't seem to be much for accomodation for the mounting from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOmelet
Also, Mr. Vintage, does your SL make a lot of noise while in neutral? Mine sounds like the pinion gear on the kick starter is not completely disengaged or something. At first I thought it was the cam chain, but this noise is definitely coming from right around the kickstart shaft. I guess I'll have an excuse to split the cases and do a complete rebuild too!
Mine doesn't make any noise in neutral, but you might check the kickstart idler gear behind the clutch. I understand these to be weak - mine was marginal with a sloppy bushing, and they spin the whole time the clutch is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
I read the entire thread and enjoyed every minute...

But after seeing your rebuild, I don't think I'll mind.

Curtis
Thanks for the positive comments - sounds like a fun couple of projects Curtis. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a Z50 project or two for my boys, but they are 2 and 4 so I have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow
I met Mr. Vintage and this sweet bike on the top of Moscow Mountain today. It was fun to come back home and read this thread. I will need to take a closer look at that bike next time I see it to properly appreciate it. Anyway, it was good to meet you Mr. Vintage, and I am glad to see you kept your promise to get the SL dirty.
Hey Scarecrow! Nice meeting you - you know, as you rode up I thought "I bet he's one of those classy ADVriders" . I'll have to check out your plated TTR too...
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #183
Motorcycho
Adventurer
 
Motorcycho's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Canaduh
Oddometer: 98
Cl Adv

I am in the process of converting this CL into something I can do some ADV on. putting a SL front end on with maybe a 21inch ???
__________________
http://motorcycho.blogspot.com/
www.motorcycho.com
Motorcycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #184
ALS650L
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 134
Thats a nifty exhaust system, any idea what kind?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycho
I am in the process of converting this CL into something I can do some ADV on. putting a SL front end on with maybe a 21inch ???
__________________

ALS650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #185
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
Awesome bike. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #186
GodOmelet
Adventurer
 
GodOmelet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 79
Thanks for the info, Vintage. I found the lights you used- cheap too! On my K0, it looks like the grey flasher relay wire is inside the headlamp (like you said?), but the black lead to tie-in isn't. Is the black just a ground? There's a great salvage yard down in Salt Lake (I live up in Park City) called Bill's Boneyard where I surely can find a switch off a CB or CL and maybe a flasher unit too. I really liked the lights you chose for their low profile.

I've got the original pipes on mine, so I'll have to figure out something different for the panniers. The upswept mufflers present a bit of a problem for space. Do you think building a frame such a yours might be a good first mig welding project?
GodOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #187
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOmelet
Thanks for the info, Vintage. I found the lights you used- cheap too! On my K0, it looks like the grey flasher relay wire is inside the headlamp (like you said?), but the black lead to tie-in isn't. Is the black just a ground? There's a great salvage yard down in Salt Lake (I live up in Park City) called Bill's Boneyard where I surely can find a switch off a CB or CL and maybe a flasher unit too. I really liked the lights you chose for their low profile.

I've got the original pipes on mine, so I'll have to figure out something different for the panniers. The upswept mufflers present a bit of a problem for space. Do you think building a frame such a yours might be a good first mig welding project?
Omlet, you found the other end of the grey wire - that is the common wire which goes to the switch, and from the switch the orange and light blue come back for each side. The black wire at the back is hot with the ignition on. On my bike the flasher wires were under the big rubber boot where the alternator plugs into the harness (I just went out and checked) - seems to me I had to unwrap a bit of loom tape to find them. I put an electronic flasher on mine - $15 bucks or so and not so hypersensetive as the honda thermal version.

As for panniers, go for it! I learned to weld by trial and error, and mild steel tubing is probably as easy as it gets. Just make sure you get plenty of weld penetration, and remember that everything looks better with paint. I dumped the bike screwing around doing wheelies in my driveway the other day (beer was involved ), and surprisingly neither the bracket or the pannier exploded.
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #188
fabriziotarara
FabT
 
fabriziotarara's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 2
My 1971 SL350 K1 Project...The Beginning!

Hello Everyone! I have also enjoyed this great discussion and it has gotten me motivated to work on my newly acquired SL350! I have a running motorcycle with some idling issues, but I started to take things apart last night...not sure if this is a good idea! Hey, if I ever want to be able to talk like you all do I just have to do it. Just a few simple things that I want to work on right now is this:
  1. Replace air filter material that was falling apart. How do I accomplish this and what materials do I need? Is it better to upgrade with a new part?
  2. Replace a couple of light bulbs under the tachometer gauge. I have the gauge apart and need to find some bulbs, are these pretty standard and can they be picked up at any auto parts store?
  3. The next thing is the rectifier, after taking the cover and filters off I see it right there. To replace or not to replace the stock one? Also, I don't think I have the skills to just go to RadioShack and put something together. Anyone have a link to one online at a good price?
Any help is greatly appreciated, if this discussion is going to keep going I will post some pictures soon! Would love to be able to hit the road with mine some day, I am going to need some coaching since this is my very first motorcycle!

Fabrizio
fabriziotarara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #189
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriziotarara
Hello Everyone! I have also enjoyed this great discussion and it has gotten me motivated to work on my newly acquired SL350! I have a running motorcycle with some idling issues, but I started to take things apart last night...not sure if this is a good idea! Hey, if I ever want to be able to talk like you all do I just have to do it. Just a few simple things that I want to work on right now is this:
  1. Replace air filter material that was falling apart. How do I accomplish this and what materials do I need? Is it better to upgrade with a new part?
  2. Replace a couple of light bulbs under the tachometer gauge. I have the gauge apart and need to find some bulbs, are these pretty standard and can they be picked up at any auto parts store?
  3. The next thing is the rectifier, after taking the cover and filters off I see it right there. To replace or not to replace the stock one? Also, I don't think I have the skills to just go to RadioShack and put something together. Anyone have a link to one online at a good price?
Any help is greatly appreciated, if this discussion is going to keep going I will post some pictures soon! Would love to be able to hit the road with mine some day, I am going to need some coaching since this is my very first motorcycle!

Fabrizio
1. I bought this and made new elements:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=11102&mmyId=
2. The bulbs a pretty standard. I used LEDs to unload the electrical system some.
3. If you aren't up to making a new one, replacements are fairly inexpensive here:
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90

Mr. Vintage screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 05:41 PM
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #190
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer
 
smilin jack's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lebanon Oregon
Oddometer: 1,225
Burned out headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback all.

I rode 630 miles on the SL last weekend. The ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350351
Mine starts on page 5.


I even had to change my screen name, as I was deemed Mr. Vintage by the other inmates. Somehow I managed to keep up with much bigger, modern machinery.

The bike worked great! I had a few minor issues - the kickstand bent (again) with the added weight of my gear, and my voltmeter and GPS refused to work reliably on the vibrating bike. I reinforced the kickstand so that won't happen again.

I came out of the restaurant at lunch on Saturday and turned the gas on, only to go back in and use the restroom. When I returned I was greeted with a big puddle of gas, so a gave the carb a swift kick to un-stick the float. Radioman looked concerned - seems he doesn't have to do that with his fuel-injected GS.

The high beam burned out the other night, and Honda says they are NLA. Anyone have a good HM-14M bulb laying around?
Mr. Vintage, VERY nice build on your vintage Honda. My old 1991 CB250 needs that done also. It runs OK now, but will soon get a new Craigslist exhaust and front forks with disk brake. The clock is showing 36K miles now and still going.

I've had a thought on the headlight. Could a guy modify the bike headlight housing to accept an auto 9003 or 9004 bulb? That would be about the same wattage draw and lots more light. Also around $10 for a new bulb that would be available most anywhere. Just a thought...

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #191
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
Wow, my SL thread is back from the dead! For the headlight I put a CB/CL350 light on. It's bigger, but fits fine between the fork ears - it also has a more readily available bulb but still only uses 35W. I think the car headlights are 55W at a minimum, and since the whole charging system is capable of 55W when the stars are in perfect alignment, stock seems the best way to go.

One of these days I need to get back to this thread - I have a handful of mods in mind for the SL, but I'm easily distracted by other projects...
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #192
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LashLarue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Oddometer: 159
Sl350 rolling?

Mr Vintage, are you still ADV riding the SL350? Looking for a new ride report with the old beast.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #193
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue View Post
Mr Vintage, are you still ADV riding the SL350? Looking for a new ride report with the old beast.
I'm not doing a whole lot of adventuring with any bike, but I have managed a couple short trips on the SL besides riding it to work. Mostly I find myself taking the Guzzi if I am going very far since I can blow through the usual portions of the journey faster and get to someplace new in what limited time I have. But the SL certainly has it's place - for gravel, unimproved, and plain ol' trails it really works well. I'd love to take it on a couple day trip... hmm, now you have me thinking...
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #194
clifton77208
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 2
The sl is a good bike. Its only fault is having the high speed vibrations common to all small bikes (especially older ones). I've had mine five years and have not been disappointed. My advice to you is to check the tensioner wheels ( if you did not already get the Teflon slipper) and change the oil frequently. Spinning rubber parts sitting in hot petroleum distillates have a tendency to explode themselves all over the inside of your motor. The centrifuge oil filter thing is at best a bad joke too.
Attached Images
 
clifton77208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #195
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 847
I managed a quick SL ride yesterday in the unseasonably warm January weather:
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014