Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #46
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rhinocycles
Did you make your luggage rack from tubing or solid stock (not the side box parts, but over the rear fender). If it is tubing, how did you bend it?
--Nick
It's 1/4" solid round stock, so bending was a sophisticated as vice-clamp-yank. I try to design things such that it looks like I know what I'm doing, even though I probably don't.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #47
pnhd65
renaissance man

Oddometer: 324
Hey buddy, beautiful work, I was curious, You can just see the grill of an old car in back of your bike on the saddlebag photo, what is it?
pnhd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #48
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65
Hey buddy, beautiful work, I was curious, You can just see the grill of an old car in back of your bike on the saddlebag photo, what is it?
That would be a Fiat 600 - future restoration project. My brother owned it first and drove it for several years before the front suspension rusted loose, which made it rather interesting to drive. I think my '51 Chevy shows up there somewhere as well. As I said, too many hobbies...

Did some final clean up on the pannier mounts this morning, and started workin on a GPS mount. Damn it's cold in the shop - the high 20s. Mrs. Jeff51 frowns upon my painting things in the house, so finish work may have to wait. But that still leaves lots of cleaning and other maintenance to do.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #49
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
That would be a Fiat 600 - future restoration project. My brother owned it first and drove it for several years before the front suspension rusted loose, which made it rather interesting to drive. I think my '51 Chevy shows up there somewhere as well. As I said, too many hobbies...
Back when I was about 7 or 8 my mom had a Fiat 600. We lived in a house with a very steep driveway and she parked it on the driveway at the toip by the garage door. I jumped in it once to go for a drive....at 8 years old. Of course I could see over the dash cause by that time I was about 4'10' just like my Pixie mom. I didn't have a key but let it out of gear and commenced rolling down the driveway at a fair clip. The two gentlemen across the street manually edging their yard parted like the Red Sea as I rolled at them at said good clip. I ended up on their lawn, with both of them laughing so hard the were on the ground and was in hot water with my mom when she came outside to check on me. This was probably in about 1966.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #50
pnhd65
renaissance man

Hey Jeff, just wanted to say about the old Fiat, I don't know what the wheelbase is, but I had kept an old S-10 for years thinking I was going to put that frame under something. Often times, fabbing up body mounts is probably easier than repairing worn out, unobtainable suspension parts. And while we're at it, I always loved those SL 350's, and the XL's with the upswept exhaust. That's a great project you've got going and 1 of the good parts is you can ride it at the same time.

I used to love to paint and I always looked at something and thought what kind of paint I'd put on it. I was a member of the AMCA for a while and didn't realize it till then, but an original paint bike is usually worth more than a repainted, pristine beauty. I don't know what it is, but I can't keep from looking at that SL of yours, just jealous I guess. Keep the rubber side down and good luck on your project.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #51
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Often times, fabbing up body mounts is probably easier than repairing worn out, unobtainable suspension parts...

Keep the rubber side down and good luck on your project...
Thanks for the encouragement. The Fiat suspension isn't as bad as it sounds - the suspension mounts to the floor, and the floor corrodes and breaks at the edge. Surprisingly little work would fix it...

Back on topic to bikes!

This weekend I got some time to work on the SL, and did the final pieces of fabrication before teardown. I made a mount for my GPS - it's on rubber isolators stolen from a Honda speedo.

I also added a power socket. This was a bitch - I had wanted it more stealthy, but after two false starts I realized it took a lot of space to keep from conflicting with the steering and the other crap at the front of the bike. So I settled on piggybacking with the horn. The GPS is probably about all the power the lame Honda electricals can spare - no electric vests with this baby...

Thus ends the fabrication stage, so tear down began. I'm not sure why, but completely disassembling stuff is a blast.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #52
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,459
Thats a great project youve got going there,much more personality to it then going out and dropping 14,000 dollars on a KTM950 which would be a shame to drop or get all dirty. I know of a R 80/7 that has been sitting for a long time,needs a complete teardown to get road worthy. I need to talk the guy out of the idea that it is worth big bucks,he thinks its an antique, I would just want to ride it. Your SL is going to be a great ride when your done and you'll know every nut and boly on it which is very handy some times.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #53
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
..And I thought I was the only guy who had one of those funky Magellans..

Gonna get the frame powder coated, Jeff?

Chip
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #54
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red

Chip
I've got a GPS on an SL350 just sounds funny when ya think about it!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #55
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red

Chip
Yeah, the Magellan would not have been my first choice, but it was a gift. It works well enough for what I do with it.

It would be great to powder coat the frame, but this is a budget project. I'll put some really nice rattle can on it. -Jeff
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #56
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Pannier Demensions

Jeff,

Out of curiosity, what are the demensions of your panniers? They look like they are just the right size for the SL. Very nice GPS/mount too.
On a side note, Rick's Motorsports just came out with an upgraded Honda 350 Twin electrical system with a new stator, rectifier and voltage regulator that is supposed to be 25% more powerful, with better load distribution......

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics...._honda_kit.pdf

It sure would be nice to run a 55 watt headlight and a set of heated grips
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #57
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro
Out of curiosity, what are the demensions of your panniers? They look like they are just the right size for the SL. Very nice GPS/mount too.
If memory serves, they are about 13x15x6. The width was carefully chosen by what would accept a six-pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro
On a side note, Rick's Motorsports just came out with an upgraded Honda 350 Twin electrical system with a new stator, rectifier and voltage regulator that is supposed to be 25% more powerful, with better load distribution......
Sweet - I'll have to keep my eye on that, thanks. Sounds like just having a "real" regulator would be an improvement.

Looking forward to getting over a cold and sending all the relatives home so I can get back to work on the bike. The frame looks awfully lonely and naked by itself, soaked with degreaser.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #58
pnhd65
renaissance man

You had mentioned side covers earlier. How about fabbing up something out of a flat piece of Al. Maybe some short standoffs to get the height right?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #59
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
You had mentioned side covers earlier. How about fabbing up something out of a flat piece of Al. Maybe some short standoffs to get the height right?
Actually, I had been thinking about making a mold and forming some in fiberglass. But that is down the list a ways...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #60
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Back at it

Got some time to work on the bike a bit lately. I painted the panniers black - I decided the silver color looked cheesy, but left the lids silver. Once that was done I was still worried about them coming apart, so I added some aluminum angle at the corners. They're done for good now, and weigh just shy of 8 pounds apiece.

Now back to the bike: I degreased the frame, and did some welding. One of the engine mounting tabs was busted off, and the rear frame loop had been broken and repaired poorly. Time to break out the wire feed - I like to weld!