Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #91
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,146
Be sure to hone those cylinders if you are putting in new rings. They won't seat if you don't.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #92
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Oh, yeah, any idea what the slurry is from? anything in particular coming apart> or just neglect?
Today's main course is a pleasant medley of oil sludge and aluminum, with rubber morsels of cam chain guide. I think the cam chain has been shredding the motor's insides for a long time, and no one bothered to change the oil and notice the problem. If you only change oil every 3000 miles, this bike might have been changed once or twice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
Be sure to hone those cylinders if you are putting in new rings. They won't seat if you don't.
Definately, I'll give it a quick once over just to take the glaze off, maybe try and get rid of the tiny rust spots in the one cylinder if it doesn't take to much.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #93
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
T I think the cam chain has been shredding the motor's insides for a long time, and no one bothered to change the oil and notice the problem. If you only change oil every 3000 miles, this bike might have been changed once or twice??
what a way to wad it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #94
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

This picture sucks, but this is the new (left) and old (right) timing chain side by side and lined up at the other end. The old one is stretched about a half a link - that couldn't have helped the cam timing.

I cleaned all the ooze out of the sump - no signs of frequent oil changes there. See the 5 studs, two of which are threaded? These hold a sheet metal baffle between the crank and the sump, with two machine screws and three peened nipples (I just got a little excited writing that). Honda must not have figured on this coming out very often, but I re-peened the nipples and I think it'll be fine. I almost drilled and tapped the other three.

Monkey poop (Indian Head shellac-based goo) applied just before mating the case halves.

I forgot to take a picture after this, as I was too busy discovering that my side cover gaskets are the wrong ones, and trying to stop the bleeding after jamming a razor blade into my thumb scraping off gasket material.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #95
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

I haven't posted much lately, but I have been working on the bike. I have the wiring pretty well in order, and have attached most everything that can be without the engine in. I threw the panniers on too:

The engine is in one bigger piece rather than many smaller ones:

And I started to resurrect the gas tank. Why kreem sucks:

Besides the nuts I used to break it loose, that is all kreem chunks colored with rust. Maybe kreem works if you clean the tank and apply it right, but this is a mess. I'm going to go the electrolysis route to clean this up...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #96
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,295
I've had such lousy luck with Kreem and the mess it makes, I've just resorted to getting the tank as rust-free as I can and installing an inline fuel filter. Change it out every 2K or so and live with the rust problem.

Also, on that cam chain tensioner problem, I've rebuilt a couple 350's and a common problem is that some ham-fisted mechanic installed the tensioner rubber upside down. It works for awhile and then the chain wears through the rubber and you're off to the races.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #97
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I've had such lousy luck with Kreem and the mess it makes, I've just resorted to getting the tank as rust-free as I can and installing an inline fuel filter. Change it out every 2K or so and live with the rust problem.

Also, on that cam chain tensioner problem, I've rebuilt a couple 350's and a common problem is that some ham-fisted mechanic installed the tensioner rubber upside down. It works for awhile and then the chain wears through the rubber and you're off to the races.

- Mark
You can try a radiator and fuel tank repair shop. One near where I used to live would clean the inside and coat it with RedKote a hard shell coating. They didn't guarantee they wouldn't damage paint, but if you're doing paint no biggie. The stuff works great and the cost may be just a bit more than a Kreem kit (which does suck) or a POR15 kit (which uses a similar hard shell coating).

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #98
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,648
Quote:
The other day I overheard a coworker trying to give away a motorcycle to one of the ladies at the front desk. Of course I perked up, and went running out and managed to score this surprisingly straight '72 SL350. For free! 6200 miles, manual is still under the seat, and short of the exhaust and side covers, complete (at least until I rode it and the tail light lense ejected somewhere). The PO had planned to rebuild the thing (not sure why - compression is good) so it also came with pistons, rings, gaskets, and a basket CB350 engine! I did a full tune up, flushed out the icky gas, and replaced the battery and plugs ($25 net investment) and it runs pretty well. The suspension actually works and has damping, which tells me it wasn't abused too much. Gotta dig magnesium engine covers, aluminum fenders, and the double-leading shoe front brake!

My plan is an ultra low cost commuter/ADV bike - I need to rig up mufflers somehow, and I'll probably krylon the tank, headlight, and the ammo-box panniers I have planned. I should really buy tires if I'm going to ride it to work.

And since this is my first post (been lurking), I live in the rolling hills of the Palouse in eastern WA, I'll be 34 next week, and also have a CB450 and a MT250 Elsinore. Come to think of it, I didn't pay for them either...

Cheers!
I had a 1970 version with the 19" front wheel and the crank with the throws 180 apart, which gave a bit more low end due to staggered firing order. It was a fun ride, would be neat to have now. I like your project - especially being a freebie to start.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #99
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
You can try a radiator and fuel tank repair shop.
Yes, I had a radiator shop near me do a fuel tank one-time and it seemed like a pretty good job overall, although it wasn't cheap and, of course, the paint on the tank is toast. I didn't keep the bike long enough to know if it was going to be a good solution long-term.

I think overall the Kreem and POR treatments are just too variable to be worth the trouble - it's just too hard to get down to bare metal so you're usually end up coating the rust and that lasts a season or two at best and then you've got a worse mess than what you started with.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #100
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
I never did anything other than static timing on it, but my guess is yes...

I decided that it's stupid not to put a set of rings in the thing while I'm in there too, so I have those coming. The very slightly rusty cylinder tested a bit low on compression before, so now is the time. I'll do a real light hone. This thing will be brand new by the time I'm done with it!

Did you lose em' or forget about em' ??? "The PO had planned to rebuild the thing (not sure why - compression is good) so it also came with pistons, rings, gaskets, and a basket CB350 engine!"

sigh ... the joys of a garage. quit whining about the temperature in there, put another jacket on.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #101
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
Did you lose em' or forget about em' ??? "The PO had planned to rebuild the thing (not sure why - compression is good) so it also came with pistons, rings, gaskets, and a basket CB350 engine!"

sigh ... the joys of a garage. quit whining about the temperature in there, put another jacket on.
The rings that came with it were for the first overbore, and I don't think the bores warranted the expense of getting them done. You get 3 extra credit points for paying attention.

I finished putting the seat back together. Some time ago I stripped the rust and welded the seat pan back together:

After a trip to the fabric store (babe central!) I came home with $6 worth of black vinyl and heavy duty red thread. I then talked an apprehensive Mrs. Jeff 51 into using her sewing machine (I guess I would be nervous if she wanted to use a plasma cutter, if I had one) and made a new cover. I originally planned on a little more fancy red stitching, but my sewing machine skills weren't up to the task. Last night I finally got around to putting it all together. Pretty simple:
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #102
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Lookin' good.

Thanks for the heads up on the gas tank cleaning. A local shop just quoted me 32.50 to get the one for my AirHead acid cleaned.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #103
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,408
looks really good, inspiration perhaps to get my damn sp370 finished
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #104
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Your seatmaking skills, at least from what I can see in the photo, school mine totally. Good work! Can't wait to see the final bike!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #105
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Your seatmaking skills, at least from what I can see in the photo, school mine totally. Good work! Can't wait to see the final bike!
same here, not to mention the mechanical skills