Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #121
dgramo
dgramo

Oddometer: 38
You are doing such a great job on this bike. Keep up the good work. I have been enjoying this and can't wait to see the completed project.
dgramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #122
duc_fan
Certified geek

Oddometer: 40
Very, very cool project! Those panniers turned out really well (at least from what I can see in the pics).

My parents have a '73 CL175 that's externally beautiful, but the tank has some rust inside, the carbs need rebuilt, it needs tires, and other assorted things.

I had seen ads for Kreem, and thought it looked like a great idea... glad that I found this thread first! Looks like it's about worthless. The electrolysis setup seems simple enough, so I may try that this summer. I'm trying to *not* destroy the paint on the tank, because it's original paint in excellent condition.

What size tires did you end up buying, and what percentage road/offroad do you intend on riding with them? I'm trying to figure out what I can fit to the CL175 (stock I think is 3.00x18 F and 3.5x18 R), that's good for mostly road (but not 100%). With gas prices doin' what they're doin', I'd like to get the 175 running well and use it as a 75mpg commuter.
duc_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #123
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_fan
The electrolysis setup seems simple enough, so I may try that this summer. I'm trying to *not* destroy the paint on the tank, because it's original paint in excellent condition.
The elctrolysis didn't do anything to the paint, but I would try to keep the electrolyte off of paint you want to save. Maybe mask the whole thing good with plastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_fan
What size tires did you end up buying, and what percentage road/offroad do you intend on riding with them?
The tires are Kenda 270s - if memory serves, 3.00-21 in front, 4.00-18 in back. Mostly I stick to unpaved back roads (an interstate cruiser this ain't), but I suspect it will be about 50/50 gravel/asphalt.

I'm hoping to fire it up this weekend! It's supposed to snow tonight...
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #124
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Pics! Pics! I love this stuff.

I PM'd Baldy this morning saying we needed a "Projects" forum.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #125
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

While watching paint dry (see below), I busied myself with wiring up a new rectifier. For $3.29 @ Radio Snatch, we'll see how it works:

I also built a mount for my clock/volt/temp meter and wired it up. I like instrumentation, but I'll admit this might be a bit much for an SL350. Nah...

The tank has been a pain in the arse. Once I started sanding on it I realized it was really pretty beat, with the long wavy kind of dents, not easy to fill dings. With repeated bondo-ing, I got it presentable. I then proceeded to do several experiments exploring the reactivity of Honda paint, filler, primer, and new. Turns out they like to react with one another. Eventually I got it all one color and only with minor defects. If you are a purist, shade your eyes. This is the paint for now:

Why is it semi-gloss black? Real paint costs money, I don't have all the parts yet (no sidecovers), and I am building this to ride, not be a museum piece. I added a red stripe as homage to the stock paint scheme.

I threw the tank on the bike just before work this morning:

Now I just need to put gas in it and start it...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #126
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
I would be real interested to see that selenium rectifier solution you made there. I have an old one in mine too.
For $3.29, you almost can't go wrong.
if you have a part number for that rectifier, I would love to see it.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #127
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
I would be real interested to see that selenium rectifier solution you made there. I have an old one in mine too.
For $3.29, you almost can't go wrong.
if you have a part number for that rectifier, I would love to see it.
This is what I bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

It remains to be seen how well it works, or if I wired it correctly.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #128
duc_fan
Certified geek

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51

Now I just need to put gas in it and start it...
Hey now, that's looking like a pretty spiffy motorcycle! Very kewl.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #129
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Aarrrggg

This morning I tried to get it going, and it was en excersize in Murphy's Law. My big plastic gas can decided to strip the threads on its outlet, meaning I couldn't pour gas without making a monumental mess. Once I found a secondary container and a giant funnel, I filled up the bike and turned the gas on. Gas immediately starts pouing from the right carb overflow. Pullled off the float bowl and adjusted the float level, which took several tries. I unscrewed the plug at the end of the oil gallery on the head, the only way to confirm it is actually pumping oil. I started kicking it over and got nothing. Damn. I pulled the plugs, point cover, timing cover - the spark is firing right at the marks - WTF?!? Finally I noticed via the spark plug hole that the intake valve was opening right after the plug fired, meaning I'm 180 out. The point lobe goes into the advance mechanism two ways, so I pulled it apart and flipped it around. Kicked it once - it lives! Aaaaaaaah - oil inspection hole, oil everywhere (yes, it's pumping!), quickly shut it off and clean up the mess. Put the points cover on, and nothing - it won't fire (I think it's grounding on the points). Take the point cover back off, kick it, and it runs on only the left cylinder - I overdid it with my float valve adjustement. Crap. Then I notice even more oil streaming off the right side of the engine - the gasket behind the cam bearing isn't sealing at all. I shut it off, and left the shop in a huff. I'm late for work by now, but I just want to ride the thing......

But it runs!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #130
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
Then I notice even more oil streaming off the right side of the engine - the gasket behind the cam bearing isn't sealing at all...
Nice job getting this far. Now it's been a LONG time since I worked on 350 engines, but I recall there was something going on with the cam holder gasket that bit me too after an engine rebuild. I did something wrong and it was leaking like crazy. I think I found I either swapped gaskets from side to side or flipped it wrong (isn't there a subtle curve in the gasket that is easy to miss orientation on?), or perhaps I even mistakedly swapped parts from side to side. Again, I wish I could remember better. Did you take this off?

Also, it's pretty easy to pull the cam bearing holder with the engine intact so you don't need to worry about ripping the engine down to reseal this.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #131
banjopete
broke, student, lurker

Oddometer: 186
Thumb

Great work Jeff51, I like that you're not too concerned with the looks yet it it still looking great, on the budget of course. I can't wait to hear the end of the story.
banjopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #132
Gregulator
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 227
Hoo-ee! Well at least it is running to some extent, right? Now it's just a matter of ironing out the bugs ;) . The bike is looking good and I'm looking forward to reading about its future.
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #133
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 316
I've really enjoyed reading about this project. It has been a long time since I've fooled with a 350 (322cc?) Honda twin.

It is especially interesting to read about the thrifty way in which the bike is being re-done. While you might not have much cash to spend on the project, the effort and know-how more than compensate. I really envy your ability to weld and fabricate stuff. I think that skill is perhaps better than money and makes this story better (in my opinion). Thanks for the pix and write-up and allowing us to follow along.

You'll soon have the little details sorted out and I'll look forward to seeing a write-up of your adventures.

robsmoto screwed with this post 04-10-2008 at 10:04 AM
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #134
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,113
Looks cool Jeff51, nice job.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #135
Mr. Vintage OP
Family Dude

Thank you all for the compliments!

This morning I fixed the oil leak - it helps if you put the gasket in the right way. The arrow points to the exposed oil gallery:

I did go for a brief ride, spewing gas from the carb overflows the entire time. This thing is fun! Way more low-end than before the rebuild. I've got some tuning to do yet, but hopefully I'll get to take it for a longer ride this weekend.