User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #1
Aser OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cry KLR Broke Down

I'll try to get this down before I have to start work...

I was riding yesterday and out of the blue I hear a very awful grinding sound. I pulled over and it turns out that the "drive shaft" (the splined thing that the front drive sprocket attaches to) is now spinning freely of the motor. I can put the bike in gear (while off) and push it like it's in neutral.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I've got to start the daily grind here in a few minutes, but I'll try to get back to this topic this afternoon.

I'm hoping it isn't a huge fix, but it kinda seems like it's going to be.
Aser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,007
You may have stripped the countershaft of it's splines or the sprocket is stripped. Only way to tell is to remove the sprocket for a look see. If it is the shaft that part is one of the first things placed in the engine upon assembly. So yes, it is a huge job. Motor has to come completely apart.

Now if you just want the down 'n dirty fix get a new sprocket and have it welded on to the countershaft.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #3
rspratley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Now if you just want the down 'n dirty fix get a new sprocket and have it welded on to the countershaft.
I did this to one of my bikes. It makes the sprocket more difficult to change but the difference in price is huge. If you open the engine there are always a lot of other things that could be changed and the money evolved is always a lot.
rspratley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #4
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aser View Post
the "drive shaft" (the splined thing that the front drive sprocket attaches to) is now spinning freely of the motor. I can put the bike in gear (while off) and push it like it's in neutral.

The other replaies to this thread seem to think that the front drive sprocket is spinning on the countershaft. Is this true?

When I read your description, it sounds to me like the countershaft is spinning freely regardless of gear selection or the engine running and that the sprocket is firmly attached to the countershaft.

Which one is it? If it's the second choice, check your cltuch. If your clutch is toast or WAY out of adjustment, the countershaft will freely spin all the time.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #5
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Which one is it? If it's the second choice, check your cltuch. If your clutch is toast or WAY out of adjustment, the countershaft will freely spin all the time.
OP (in IP) said, "shaft" is spinning.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #6
Aser OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
The other replaies to this thread seem to think that the front drive sprocket is spinning on the countershaft. Is this true?

When I read your description, it sounds to me like the countershaft is spinning freely regardless of gear selection or the engine running and that the sprocket is firmly attached to the countershaft.

Which one is it?
The entire shaft is spinning. The front sprocket and shaft splines are fine.

Edit: I will try to check the clutch tonight when I get it. I'll look up some info on clutch adjustments. Any advice?

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #7
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 197
Can you grab a video for us too? You make it sound like the countershaft is spinning freely inside of the countershaft sprocket.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #8
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aser View Post
The entire shaft is spinning. The front sprocket and shaft splines are fine.

Edit: I will try to check the clutch tonight when I get it. I'll look up some info on clutch adjustments. Any advice?

Thanks for the replies guys.
I concur with the suggestion to check the clutch. Make sure that you have freeplay in the clutch lever. If you have that, then the clutch should be operating properly and you should feel engine resistance with the dead bike in gear and you try to push it. If the bike rolls like it's in neutral regardless of gear selection, then yes, you have a problem. Let's hope it's just the clutch- relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Have you drained the oil yet? Was it loaded with metal filings? If not, then it might be the clutch and not the countershaft.

Did you notice any symptoms prior to the noise? Any clutch slippage?

My gut tells me that you'd roast the clutch long before stripping the countershaft. That is, unless there is some other circumstance yet to be described.

DirtyDog screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:04 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #9
Aser OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
Can you grab a video for us too? You make it sound like the countershaft is spinning freely inside of the countershaft sprocket.
I would if I could (no camera).

That is not what I am trying to explain. The whole mechanism (countershaft, sprocket, and chain) is spinning together. I checked and the sprocket and countershaft splines are both fine and working properly.

I've yet to do anything to the bike besides get it out of the woods. I don't have the space/time to start tearing into it until this weekend. I appreciate the suggestions. At least now I have a place to start. I'll get back to you when I know more.

Quote:
Did you notice any symptoms prior to the noise? Any clutch slippage?
As far as clutch slippage, I have noticed some recently, but I had chalked it up to user incompetence in the proper operation of the clutch. Other than that...

I did recently break my front sprocket retention clip, as I disregarded advice suggesting I use some locktite. The bolts vibrated out and the clip snapped into a few pieces. (I don't know if that's a related issue or not)

Otherwise it has been running smooth.