Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #15541
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
In your case it might be better to have them. My experience has been different. Twelve years with this 2000 DRZ-E, over ten of those with bent, but never leaking radiators and up until April with stock tank and plastic scoops.

Maybe all those years have helped me get better at avoiding falls on the bike.

Adding the IMS 4.0 this year relieved me of mucho worry I'd had about damaging them enough to need repair, compared to the worry I had riding with the stock tank and plastic.

Without the tank I'd have bought the Unibiker guards for this year's makeover, without a doubt. After reading the reviews of the tank, and many stories of falls where the tank was credited with preventing damage, I felt the additional protection of the Unibiker, which would need modification, didn't increase the overall protection to a high enough degree to warrant the additional cost. For me.

Glad to know that there is someone out there to prove Murphy's law is still in effect.

I hope you get many miles of trouble free riding and hopefully without further testing of the radiator protection.

Happy trails!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #15542
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
I've got a fully charged battery, still need to verify that it is good, i.e, have it load tested at a FLAPS.

Not buying any parts just yet.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Battery tested fine today at the FLAPS. So based on the diagnostic flow chart, my generator is bad, i.e, the stator.

Can the stator look fine and be faulty ?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #15543
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,089
Quote:
Battery tested fine today at the FLAPS. So based on the diagnostic flow chart, my generator is bad, i.e, the stator.

Can the stator look fine and be faulty ?

If look = visual, then yes.

If look = electrical measurement, then no. It will measure high if opened, or low if some coils are shorted.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #15544
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
[QUOTE=dasvis;19308028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post

Chuck the vacuum petcock & put a Yamaha 2GU-24500-02 manual valve on there. Photo shown is on my '09 DRZ400S with a Clarke 3.9 gallon tank. Fits PERFECT & is way cheaper & more dependable than the OEM Suzuki part. Just remember to turn the valve to "off" when you park it. Don't forget to put a vacuum cap over the nipple on the carb.

thanks for this, I bought a clear clark 3.9 about a month ago and the stock petcock was a pain with the sharp fuel line bend. Bought the yamaha petcock for $16 and 5 minutes later it looks just like the pic above. got rid of the vaccum line, plugged the carb and viola, it work perfectly, so thanks again.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #15545
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
My stator read with an ohmeter , 0.9 ohms to ground on each yellow wire and 0.9 yellow wire to yellow wire. My understanding is this means shorted stator. If the engines runs good in this condition, that is good and the charging part of the winding can be rewound. My stator is currently at custom rewind in birmingham alabama and the estimate is around $90. When I get it shipped back and reinstalled i will post the results. After a little research, some people say oil type affects stators and heavy duty may not be best way to go. Looks really dont mean nothing as far as stators.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #15546
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
Hey all, I have a few questions about DRZs. I'm very possibly going to be getting one in the near future (a DRZ400E thats tagged and titled specifically) and I want to know what I can do to boost performance.

I would be coming off a heavily modified XR650L that has a high compression piston, performance camshaft, slipon, carb mods, and filter. I have a few buddies DRZ SMs that have mild performance upgrades (like the 3x3 mod and a slipon or full system). I can always beat them in drag races and in top speed, off the mark and from a roll on at 60mph. I think that if i did some engine mods to my soon to be mine DRZ, I could be just as fast, if not faster then my 650L currently.

I was doing a bit of research and I think the first performance related mod I would do is install one of those 434cc bore kits (haven't decided what piston to go with), a hotcams stg 1 intake and exhaust cam, and slipon. and if funds allow, a header to go with it. What kind of hp and torque figures can I get out of this if I were to do these mods? Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Without a frc carb and header somewhere around 42hp. Add the carb and a MRD and ya should be around 47hp.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #15547
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
stators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8 View Post
My stator read with an ohmeter , 0.9 ohms to ground on each yellow wire and 0.9 yellow wire to yellow wire. My understanding is this means shorted stator. If the engines runs good in this condition, that is good and the charging part of the winding can be rewound. My stator is currently at custom rewind in birmingham alabama and the estimate is around $90. When I get it shipped back and reinstalled i will post the results. After a little research, some people say oil type affects stators and heavy duty may not be best way to go. Looks really dont mean nothing as far as stators.
Here's the story of our stator saga. (long version starts here)

Here's what the good (used) and bad stators looked like:

I now carry a spare stator with us in our spare parts kit. Wrapped in bubble wrap and duct tape, it's about the same size and weight as a quarter pounder, with cheese. The swap could be done in the field, though you'd have to be careful with the gasket, or be prepared to Macguyver one if it got damaged.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #15548
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
On the gasket... I use Permatex hardening gasket cement to "glue" the gasket to the covers. Just apply with care to the cover (don't get the stuff on the other side of the gasket) and bolt it back up. Next time the gasket will come off with the cover all but eliminating the chance of damage during roadside repairs.
Great tip! Thanks!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #15549
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

I now carry a spare stator with us in our spare parts kit. Wrapped in bubble wrap and duct tape, it's about the same size and weight as a quarter pounder, with cheese. The swap could be done in the field, though you'd have to be careful with the gasket, or be prepared to Macguyver one if it got damaged.
Thanks for the link to your RR and exploits towing on the Interstate, at night, with a DRZ-400S.

Did you have a large enough drive bit to remove the starter cover plate screws? The screw heads seem really soft and easy to strip. Would it would be a good idea to replace with some hex head or socket head screws?

Anyway, thanks again for the link!

M.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #15550
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Thanks for the link to your RR and exploits towing on the Interstate, at night, with a DRZ-400S.

Did you have a large enough drive bit to remove the starter cover plate screws? The screw heads seem really soft and easy to strip. Would it would be a good idea to replace with some hex head or socket head screws?

Anyway, thanks again for the link!

M.
Gosh, I don't really remember it being a problem. Our bikes are in Idaho Falls, and we're in NYC, so I can't check for the time being. We'll be out there in a 9 days, not that I'm counting.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #15551
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
torrent blocked by time warner isp, indian phone spy jump into my house, I am not in a safe heaven anymore. obama's paid media let me off gone with the wind
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #15552
Mike_drz
Banned

all blame to entrusted google
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #15553
Mike_drz
Banned

stage 1 of what? if your plan is to take over the world, I think many who wrote the script are plan dumbass so stage 2 is unless.... some idiots complete it there is such a possibility it's me
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #15554
mtbbker
MtbBiker

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Here's what the good (used) and bad stators looked like:

One thing is for sure the DRZ eats stators, I am on the 4th one Those three bolts that bolts it to the generator cover came off in the last one (but that was probably because the mechie didn't use thread locker ??) But I am also now thinking of taking a spare one long remote trips
mtbbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #15555
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
I have been commuting on the DRZ a lot lately. Put a 16 tooth countersprocket on yesterday. Just amazing on the road now.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote