Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #15706
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Meh... Fast is a relative term for a slow bike and there are certainly no bragging rights around the DR-Z.

The yellow ones around here are real E's and even though Suzuki turns out a few E's in other colours (this year it is black) the one thing that remains constant are the yellow bikes.

Mine is white btw... Colour selection for me is more often about not making it stand out. It is hiding in plain sight... people see the bike (and me), but there is nothing that warrants more than a cursory look and nothing to make them want to remember what they see.
Right

I remember when young car owners in the UK (many moons ago)put checkered tape down the hood and swore it gave them more speed

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #15707
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Is it reading the correct speed? Is this problem with the main ODO or the trip meters or both?
You can adjust the computer, look in your manual to see how.

Pre measure 1/10 mile ride it then adjust accordingly. The computer uses percentage and youll have to ride/adjust a few times to dial it in, I do it everytime I get a new tire.

You basically dial it down in percentage if your accumulating miles to quickly and dial it up if your too slow. Its pretty easy I just cant remember the button combo right now, but youll get a numbet with percent in the (iirc) bottom right, then add or subtract as needed.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #15708
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post

HS... as I recall, it was YOU who first mentioned the seat removal issue over in Rocky Mountain Regional, wasn't it. Good call. I'm a stubborn SOB though, so, one way or another, I'll come up with a fix that works.

Thanks for the feedback, all.
One of the reasons I'm trying to make do without the rack on my DRZ-replacement. I'm enjoying the hell out of only having to remove 2 screws to pull both the seat and tank. Zero fasteners to change the air filter.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #15709
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINZ View Post
This is my first time posting and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have just bought an 03 KLX400RS, (DRZ400S) and was shocked when I had to switch to reserve at 95km (60 miles). I know the machine is running right(ish) and that I'm not leaving a trail of gas behind me, so I started to investigate my speedo/odometer. After resetting my trip and comparing the milage to the trips on three other bikes and three GPSs, I have discovered that after riding 100km, my trip is only registering 65Km. After doing some research, I went through the settings on my stock speedo. My first thought was that the speedo was still in MPH because the math almost works out, but it is definitely set to Km/h. After doing some more reading I found out that I can adjust the correction coefficients on both of my trips between from 70% - 130%. (Have I mentioned that I love all the functions of my the stock speedo?) Both trips were still set to a correction coefficient of 100% (so no correction) But I would need to be able to set a correction coefficient of ~160% to be anywhere close to the right mileage, a little extreme and impossible because I can only adjust it to a max of 130%

After convincing myself that the instrument cluster was not the issue, I started to wonder if my speedo drive on my front wheel is off of an SM. This would help explain the differences in my recorded mileage. Because I don't know the history of the bike or how many owners it has had, I have no way of telling if it was ever motarded and had a SM speedo drive or not. So my question to you is:
Is there anyone here that knows the gear ratio differences in the S and SM speedo drives? or how many splines are on the worm or main gear in the speedo drive?

Or should I be looking in a different direction? (keeping in mind my front tire size is stock and that I do like the functions of my instrument cluster and I don't want to spend money on a Trail Tech anytime soon.)

Cheers
Like focallenght said. The stock speedo is adjustable to accomodate different size front tires if you are running a roll chart and you want it to be dead accurate. Mine was set at 75% when I purchased it which was probably the reason the the former owner thought that he was only getting 45 MPG.

It's an easy, no tool required adjustment. I set mine at 100% when I put a knobby front tire on and it's pretty much dead on.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #15710
SKINZ
Geo Steve

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Like focallenght said. The stock speedo is adjustable to accomodate different size front tires if you are running a roll chart and you want it to be dead accurate. Mine was set at 75% when I purchased it which was probably the reason the the former owner thought that he was only getting 45 MPG.

It's an easy, no tool required adjustment. I set mine at 100% when I put a knobby front tire on and it's pretty much dead on.
Like I said earlier, I would need a correction coefficient of 160% for the trip to be accurate but the unit is can only be adjusted between 70-130% and it's already at 100%. I'm starting to think the issue is with my drive or cable. If the drive is skipping a tooth it would register less Kms and if the cable is not smooth and jumping when the worm gear reengages, the speed would be registered as being higher than the actual. I'll know more when I take it apart and clean the cable and drive. Should be done anyway. Thanks for everyone's input.
SKINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #15711
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine was totally devoid of grease the first time I serviced it and the tab that holds it in place wasn't properly seated so it could move as the wheel turned. But I wouldn't think that either of those issues would give you a consistent repeatable discrepancy.
Just out of curiosity (and without time or desire to figure it out on my own) is a 160% conversion ratio close to KPHs vs MPH?
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #15712
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
Had the stock mirrors with extenders. Went with the foldable bar end models from Procycle. Not affiliated with Procycle, just a happy customer. Fast, reliable service.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #15713
SKINZ
Geo Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Mine was totally devoid of grease the first time I serviced it and the tab that holds it in place wasn't properly seated so it could move as the wheel turned. But I wouldn't think that either of those issues would give you a consistent repeatable discrepancy.
Just out of curiosity (and without time or desire to figure it out on my own) is a 160% conversion ratio close to KPHs vs MPH?
Yup. 1.609 km in 1mile. It would make sense if the trip were in miles but the speedo is definitely reading metric. Do your trip readings change when you switch from metric to imperial? Mine stay the same. Just cleaned the drive and cable and my speedo is back to normal but the trip is still off.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #15714
Wreckster
Gnarly Adventurer

stupid question

So far as the forks go for DRZ400s, the silver lowers are for the rod dampened models, copper colored are the cartridge? Maybe I missed something and they just happened to have different colors?
Wreckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #15715
SKINZ
Geo Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINZ View Post
Yup. 1.609 km in 1mile. It would make sense if the trip were in miles but the speedo is definitely reading metric. Do your trip readings change when you switch from metric to imperial? Mine stay the same. Just cleaned the drive and cable and my speedo is back to normal but the trip is still off.
Well I feel like a tool. I have only had this bike for a few days and of coarse I assumed that since my speedo was reading metric, my odometer was in metric. When I change from kilometers to miles, the odometer stays the same, which means the odometer stays set to its factory default setting for the country the bike was meant to be registered in. I looked up my VIN and it was a US bike that was brought into Canada a few years ago. So my bike is in miles. While I can switch my speedo to metric, everything else remains in SAE. Boo to that. At least my speedo is accurate now that I've cleaned everything. Having my trip in miles will come in handy when I do the TAT and SOTR.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #15716
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,178
Oil consumption

My 04 with 10,000 miles seems to consume oil suddenly. I went on a three day ride and fortunately took a quart of synthetic oil to top it off if necessary- good thing I did, it used the whole quart.

200 miles each day of hard mountain riding, each end of day check the oil level was below the dipstick.

What do I do about that. I'm tempted to switch to natural oil and see what that does to the rate of consumption.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #15717
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
your bike is really an oil guzzier my xxx's toyota echo once used castrol edge syth 5-30w, it seems evopration is normal after 3000miles, I added 1qt to it to have a final oil change at 5000miles
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #15718
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothy View Post
My 04 with 10,000 miles seems to consume oil suddenly. I went on a three day ride and fortunately took a quart of synthetic oil to top it off if necessary- good thing I did, it used the whole quart.

200 miles each day of hard mountain riding, each end of day check the oil level was below the dipstick.

What do I do about that. I'm tempted to switch to natural oil and see what that does to the rate of consumption.

Any suggestions?
I assume you used standard procedures for checking it. Check the normal sort of issues leakage etc. If the oil was older and you thrashed consumption would jump. My consumption goes exponential with oil age.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #15719
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
I have been searching the web with not much luck. Totally demolished my chain guard and can't seem to locate a replacement.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #15720
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post
I assume you used standard procedures for checking it. Check the normal sort of issues leakage etc. If the oil was older and you thrashed consumption would jump. My consumption goes exponential with oil age.
There's no leaks per se, however my manual cam chain tensioner is always oily.

Synthetic 10-40, one calendar year old with maybe six hundred miles, it looked nice and clean when I left.

This was a trip that was 80% logging roads and 20% wide open highway. I thrashed it on this trip.