bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
Is that sucker plastic
Why the heck would they make out out of anything but metal

I know the answer will be forthcoming from some quarter of the planet

OH! and how many kilometers/miles are on it ????
Yep plastic, there was talk of someone making a metal gear but they rarely fail so it never happened. Usually it gets damaged during the clutch basket install then fails due to this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #15767
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
You said "They still have a habit of blowing the end off the can." which makes me think end cap.

then you said "The failures sighted have occurred within a couple of inches of the end cap " which makes me think internal baffles??

We are talking about DRZ mufflers too right?? Care to be more specific on the failure? As I not sure to what your referring. Pictures would be good.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #15768
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,665
FMF muffler

So here are the pictures of the muffler with the endcap blown off. As you can see it's an older round muffler that had the cap secured with allen head screws. The other end of the muffler has allen head screws securing it as well and not rivets.

Another guy I know has a Muzzy system, haven't heard it in person, on his bike and believes it is quieter than the FMF...anyone runing a Muzzy and have any thoughts
Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #15769
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Gaah!

Failures were similar enough in outward appearance to other FMF failures.

The cans had failed, that was all that I needed to know and all that I was saying.
I was curious to what you had seen as I am not familiar with FMF failures (where?). From your post I still don't know where the muffler failed.

Thanks for the pict Blaster. There's a lot of vibes from the DRZ I can see how the screws might break or back out. That's repairable if one can find the endcap.

Guess we will see if the oval style still fails. I did see a post w/ a WR 450 which split the housing in half and blew it off the end. The fracture started at the riveted on top mounting bracket then continued around the housing till it blew off. Is this what you saw??? Since the DRZ doesn't have the same mounting this shouldn't be an issue.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 03:06 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #15770
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
So here are the pictures of the muffler with the endcap blown off. As you can see it's an older round muffler that had the cap secured with allen head screws. The other end of the muffler has allen head screws securing it as well and not rivets.

This is a two-piece endcap, just like my Yoshi RS2. The part that is missing is held on by three allen-head bolts (see holes above), and is made to be removable so you can take the spark arrestor out when/if it's not needed. There's nothing wrong with this muffler, with the possible exception of the threads being stripped (which is easily fixable, in a number of different ways). You can probably find a replacement tip (and SA) on ebay (perhaps http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Racing-Q...a17af4&vxp=mtr ?), if FMF doesn't stock them anymore. Find that piece, give it a repack, and it'll be good to go.

Of course, if someone is just looking for a reason to upgrade, then of course it's FUBAR.

Starchamp screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 03:59 PM
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #15771
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
got around 51.45 mpg last night's city dash

Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #15772
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

The outer housing has a noticeable swollen spot about 2" from the end. Looks like the housing was stretched to accept the end cap. It'll be interesting to see if it fails (hope not) do to added stress at that point.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #15773
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I want to comute more on my DRZ400s and would like a smaller rear sprocket. The smallest I have found is 41 teeth. Anybody find a smaller one and if so where?? My MPG is good but it sounds like I'm thrashing my poor little bike. My comute has about 20 miles of 70+ MPH multi lane roadway. Any info would be appreciated.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #15774
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
I want to comute more on my DRZ400s and would like a smaller rear sprocket. The smallest I have found is 41 teeth. Anybody find a smaller one and if so where?? My MPG is good but it sounds like I'm thrashing my poor little bike. My comute has about 20 miles of 70+ MPH multi lane roadway. Any info would be appreciated.

What is your current gear size for front and rear spockets?

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #15775
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm currently runnning a 15 44 combo. 15 looks as big as I can fit under the front sprocket cover.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #15776
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 522
Here is a link that may help. Looks like some have found places to get smaller rear sprockets than a 41 tooth. May want to PM some of them.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/409...rted-to-an-sm/

Here is place that has some 38 rear. I did not search much so there has to be more places that have them.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...16/index.shtml

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #15777
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 841
Jumping a 4x4

Well, i came across 2 guys who were stuck in the bush with their dead Chevy Suburban 4x4, they weren't sure what was wrong without a volt meter. When I found them, they were hand winching their beast off the trail. They found out it was a loose distributor coil or something, so I started up the bike, let it run for a while with the jumpers attatched, and after 5 minutes the truck started up no problem! They were very grateful, insisted on handing me $10 and some beer for saving them, and I ended up camping and fishing with them at one of the lakes!
Great guys, great fishing, and I've got some new friends up Island! Always help those in need!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #15778
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all for replies, especially wingam00. Wheeling has a 38t rear sprocket. I'll try that before I start grinding and cutting for a 16t countershaft sprocket, not that I'm shy about that kinda thing. My dremel is no stranger to my DRZ.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #15779
jim9006
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I havent read all the posts, but.... How come no one has brought up the wide ratio gear set offered by ACT?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972833-wide-ratio-gears-but-no-six-speed/
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #15780
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Thanks all for replies, especially wingam00. Wheeling has a 38t rear sprocket. I'll try that before I start grinding and cutting for a 16t countershaft sprocket, not that I'm shy about that kinda thing. My dremel is no stranger to my DRZ.
You may know this already, but you need a different sized case guard for different sized CS sprockets. The sprocket size is stamped into the case guard.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote