ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #16426
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 722
New to me

Just picked up a 02 DRZ400s last weekend Have been looking for a small DS for a while think this should fit the bill this thing is bone stock. I'm sure it has been beaten to death but what are the must do mods? I honestly havent even taken anything apart yet im guessing it has a bunch of smog junk on it and chocked up exhaust
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #16427
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WVa Dualsport's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Bugger me!!! How about resizing your images.
You need bigger monitors, and/or higher resolution. I can almost see the entire image on my iPad's display. I'm one of the few, however who would rather see detail, even if I have to scroll around the screen, than see an image that designed for a 15" ten year old monitor that has no clarity or fine detail. I seem to have no issue with the larger pics on my phone either, aside from the longer load times on 3G.
__________________
2010 450 EXC
WVa Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #16428
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer
 
The Recycled Teenager's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVa Dualsport View Post
You need bigger monitors, and/or higher resolution. I can almost see the entire image on my iPad's display. I'm one of the few, however who would rather see detail, even if I have to scroll around the screen, than see an image that designed for a 15" ten year old monitor that has no clarity or fine detail. I seem to have no issue with the larger pics on my phone either, aside from the longer load times on 3G.
Well I can too on my 7 inch Nexus android but on my 24 inch $2,000 graphics monitor (1920 Res) its too big for the web page itself
__________________
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when your in deep water

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #16429
jordan p
projects > time alloted
 
jordan p's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maui, HI
Oddometer: 110
another DRZ for me??

I sold my 06 drzsm a few years ago... when I sold it it had S wheels with knobbies as I was doing mainly offroad stuff since I was paranoid riding street with twin babies at home. Since then I've had about 10 bikes ranging from crf250x dirtbikes, all the way up to my current 07 bonneville with a 94 xr600r a bunch of vintage honda twins and fours and most recently a wr250x with DS knobbys on it. I currently miss having a DS bike so much I am really itching to get rid of this bonneville and get another one. I can only really afford to have one bike at a time so I may just pull the trigger. It has been a long time since my DRZ and I had all kinds of excuses to sell the thing "too heavy for offroad"- bullshit "too buzzy on road/freeway" also bullshit, I just didn't bother with finding a good front sprocket combo. I am realluy leaning toward another DRZ for the simplicity of the bike, the reliability, the price and the "all the bike I need in one" I think I can achieve with this bike. My question for y'all is this:

Do I get into a nice S model and get some 17's later on, or should I do as I did previously and go for the SM and source some S wheels/rotor for offroad? I have never ridden an S offroad so I don't know the handling differences between an S and an SM with 18/21 and knobs. I felt somehow that the valving on the drzsm was all wrong for offroad...was I trippin?

I think I am leaning toward an S model, but it honestly seems the SM is much more available in the used market, and I am not paying 7k for a new sm or 6500 for an S.

Main uses will be:
mild commuting- less than 8 miles each way no freeway really needed
hooligan fun bike for urban dual sporting around my city (curbs, dirt lots, jumps, wheelies, stoppies, sliding fun)
Trail/offroad bike to go DS riding, singletrack riding, OHV parks, some jumping

I really enjoyed my WR, but I honestly felt that the DRZ was a better offroader, and the power difference with 3x3 full exh and jet on the DRZ was def noticeable. Sorry for the super long post all to ask- S or SM?
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #16430
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Just picked up a 02 DRZ400s last weekend Have been looking for a small DS for a while think this should fit the bill this thing is bone stock. I'm sure it has been beaten to death but what are the must do mods? I honestly havent even taken anything apart yet im guessing it has a bunch of smog junk on it and chocked up exhaust
Check out ThumperTalk forum, they have a great drz400 section, that will show you lost of things that are good to do on em.

i would do the 3x3 and jetting first, if you are looking to uncork it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKWbs0N5lo
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #16431
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer
 
The Recycled Teenager's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
I sold my 06 drzsm a few years ago... when I sold it it had S wheels with knobbies as I was doing mainly offroad stuff since I was paranoid riding street with twin babies at home. Since then I've had about 10 bikes ranging from crf250x dirtbikes, all the way up to my current 07 bonneville with a 94 xr600r a bunch of vintage honda twins and fours and most recently a wr250x with DS knobbys on it. I currently miss having a DS bike so much I am really itching to get rid of this bonneville and get another one. I can only really afford to have one bike at a time so I may just pull the trigger. It has been a long time since my DRZ and I had all kinds of excuses to sell the thing "too heavy for offroad"- bullshit "too buzzy on road/freeway" also bullshit, I just didn't bother with finding a good front sprocket combo. I am realluy leaning toward another DRZ for the simplicity of the bike, the reliability, the price and the "all the bike I need in one" I think I can achieve with this bike. My question for y'all is this:

Do I get into a nice S model and get some 17's later on, or should I do as I did previously and go for the SM and source some S wheels/rotor for offroad? I have never ridden an S offroad so I don't know the handling differences between an S and an SM with 18/21 and knobs. I felt somehow that the valving on the drzsm was all wrong for offroad...was I trippin?

I think I am leaning toward an S model, but it honestly seems the SM is much more available in the used market, and I am not paying 7k for a new sm or 6500 for an S.

Main uses will be:
mild commuting- less than 8 miles each way no freeway really needed
hooligan fun bike for urban dual sporting around my city (curbs, dirt lots, jumps, wheelies, stoppies, sliding fun)
Trail/offroad bike to go DS riding, singletrack riding, OHV parks, some jumping

I really enjoyed my WR, but I honestly felt that the DRZ was a better offroader, and the power difference with 3x3 full exh and jet on the DRZ was def noticeable. Sorry for the super long post all to ask- S or SM?

Hmmm Sadist or SadoMasochist now that is a decision

Oh what the heck just drive a modded Sadist,
__________________
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when your in deep water

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #16432
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,324
Come on guys, the guy posted from China. How about dropping this bullshit and getting back to the DRZ???
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #16433
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer
 
0ldhippie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
I sold my 06 drzsm a few years ago... when I sold it it had S wheels with knobbies as I was doing mainly offroad stuff since I was paranoid riding street with twin babies at home. Since then I've had about 10 bikes ranging from crf250x dirtbikes, all the way up to my current 07 bonneville with a 94 xr600r a bunch of vintage honda twins and fours and most recently a wr250x with DS knobbys on it. I currently miss having a DS bike so much I am really itching to get rid of this bonneville and get another one. I can only really afford to have one bike at a time so I may just pull the trigger. It has been a long time since my DRZ and I had all kinds of excuses to sell the thing "too heavy for offroad"- bullshit "too buzzy on road/freeway" also bullshit, I just didn't bother with finding a good front sprocket combo. I am realluy leaning toward another DRZ for the simplicity of the bike, the reliability, the price and the "all the bike I need in one" I think I can achieve with this bike. My question for y'all is this:

Do I get into a nice S model and get some 17's later on, or should I do as I did previously and go for the SM and source some S wheels/rotor for offroad? I have never ridden an S offroad so I don't know the handling differences between an S and an SM with 18/21 and knobs. I felt somehow that the valving on the drzsm was all wrong for offroad...was I trippin?

I think I am leaning toward an S model, but it honestly seems the SM is much more available in the used market, and I am not paying 7k for a new sm or 6500 for an S.

Main uses will be:
mild commuting- less than 8 miles each way no freeway really needed
hooligan fun bike for urban dual sporting around my city (curbs, dirt lots, jumps, wheelies, stoppies, sliding fun)
Trail/offroad bike to go DS riding, singletrack riding, OHV parks, some jumping

I really enjoyed my WR, but I honestly felt that the DRZ was a better offroader, and the power difference with 3x3 full exh and jet on the DRZ was def noticeable. Sorry for the super long post all to ask- S or SM?
The drz isn't great on road or off but not a bad local dual sport. The SM has 1" less suspension travel but the dirt wheels are cheaper to come by than SM wheels for a S. Really depends whether you plan more road or dirt and what is available.
__________________
I've forgot more than you kids ever knew!
Retired and living off the interest on the money I owe.
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #16434
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer
 
0ldhippie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Come on guys, the guy posted from China. How about dropping this bullshit and getting back to the DRZ???
Exactly! Bet there is lots of great open riding over there!
__________________
I've forgot more than you kids ever knew!
Retired and living off the interest on the money I owe.
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #16435
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,189
Just put on a 16T front sprocket, man that was a whole lot of work, had to grind down the metal case guard, and the chain barely fit on, removed the master link for the chian , put the chain on, then put the link back on, i have it on the flat part of the snails, cause even on the 0 marks, it was way too tight, i will see how it does, if i dont like it, i can always go back to the stock 15T.

Anybody know where i can buy/order a new lock washer for the front sprocket nut? the one that you bend over the nut so it wont go loose.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #16436
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,324
You never know until you go.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #16437
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Buy them by the dozen online from any Suzuki parts supplier such as ronayers.com for about a buck fifty each.
Thanks a lot! ill check out ronayers.com, Good to know they are pretty cheap, the one that is on there right now has been re used about 4 times now, getting pretty weak, next time i definately want to put on a new one.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #16438
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post

Do I get into a nice S model and get some 17's later on, or should I do as I did previously and go for the SM and source some S wheels/rotor for offroad?
Go with the "S" model. If u want more performance off-rd u should go with "E" model. (the E model with minor mods makes it more interesting off-rd).
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #16439
the big c word
the badass noob
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Grover Beach, CA
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Zamboni View Post
replacement of the petcock with the raptor one is simple. remove the stock petcock and install the new raptor petcock exactly the way the stock was removed. Oh wait whats this hose?, and why doesn't it have a place to go on the raptor petcock? Cap that off with a vacuum line cap you can get at any autoparts store. Your new set up is no longer vacuum operated, so you are going to have to use your brain and remember to turn the fuel on and off manually when starting and stopping the motor.

Its really that simple. if you want to reach in there you can remove the vacuum line completely and cap off the nipple of the carb. its up to you.

My stock petcock leaked into the carb, then into the cylinder, and ultimately filled the case with fuel. I then stupidly cranked the hell out of my hydrolocked motor and bent valves and needed to rebuild the top end. You are making a wise choice "upgrading" to the raptor petcock. Just remember to shut that fuel off.
thanks for the advice , i noticed it leaking right after i started my bike . sucks bout what happened to you with your petcock problem.
the big c word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #16440
59DEN
Studly Adventurer
 
59DEN's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Oddometer: 754
Thumb

[QUOTE=mustang_gt;20032373]Hello everybody! My rider DR-Z400S form South China.

Welcome mustang_gt ,like to hear more about ADV riding in China, hope you will post some more pictures.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014