User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #16456
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
DRZ needs some new shoes

I have a '09 DRZ with almost 25K miles. 99% street. We are coming into winter and I ride this thing rain or shine. I need a new set of tires that have good wet weather traction. I am leaning toward the Pirelli MT90. Does anyone know if a 140/80-18 will clear the chain? Or do I need to run the 120/80-18?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #16457
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 576
Not exactly apples to apples, but I run a 150/60-17 on SM rims with no rubbing issues, and my 130/80-18 D606 is nowhere near the chain, so you're probably safe with the 140.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #16458
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
It does... Each link on a 112L chain with a 14T or 16T returns to the same sprocket tooth without variation every 8 or 7 turns of the CS respectively. It is a good idea to move away from a 112L chain if using anything but a 15T sprocket. Likewise a 15T and 114L is not a good combination because it only gets through a fraction of the possible tooth/link combinations before the pattern repeats (38 turns of the chain), but it is better than 14T or 16T and 112L combination which repeats every turn of the chain.

The same apples to the rear sprocket.

Cyclic wear patterns are not transferred on a sprocket to sprocket basis, but on a sprocket to chain to sprocket basis. Certainly we want to avoid sprocket sizes and chain lengths that are regularly repeating a cycle of chain link and tooth locations. This will often lead to unusual wear and vibration. HST... we don't need to get anal about it.

Cyclic wear patterns are transferred from the drive sprocket to chain, and then chain to driven sprocket.

Run an odd toothed drive sprocket (countershaft) with an even numbered link chain, and the drive sprocket will hit every link in the chain with the same frequency. The chain wear from the drive sprocket mesh pattern will be even along the length of the chain.

Run an even toothed drive sprocket with an even numbered link chain, and some of the sprocket teeth will hit the same links more often than others and wear-in a stretched and non-stretched section pattern on the chain. Both the drive sprocket and chain will see a repeat-link uneven wear pattern.

The resulting uneven wear pattern in the chain will always transfer the uneven wear to the driven sprocket, shortening the life of both sprockets and more stressed sections of the chain.

This drive sprocket to chain wear concern is why Chain Design guidelines always prefer an odd tooth drive sprocket when using an even link chain, to prevent promotion of an uneven wear pattern in the chain.

On a motorcycle chain, uneven wear becomes noticeable only after the sprockets are trashed with bent and worn teeth. We do not see the uneven wear on the chain, only the resulting uneven wear on the most visible sprocket mounted on the rear hub. If this rear sprocket has a pronounced wear pattern, replace it and the chain, and expect to need replacement of the drive sprocket as well (a good time to swap to an odd/even or odd/odd sprocket combination).

340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #16459
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,434
My DRZ400E

I get happier with the bike the longer I have it.

You can see I did some up top weight saving mods, headlight, pipe, rear fender, mainly for enduro rides, but it helps the bike all round.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the tank is a bit small to call it an adventure bike. Well I like to think what I do is called "light adventuring", so it's my "light adventure bike". And I don't mean light by weight just short easy adventures with fuel stops available 100 or so K's.

I'll probably get a safari 17 ltr tank one day, but might just have to carry a couple of litres of fuel till then when needed.

Up until today I still wasn't sure about my tyres, today I realised my Pirelli MT21's are fantastic for that bike, . It didn't matter if it was dry road, wet road and even flooded road, or wet or dry Forrest rd the tyres were floorless. I belted it up A Break and they were great, i had them at 18 or 19 psi. Coming back on Mt Mee road cars were aquaplaing, the Pirellis were rock solid. I had in my mind after a bit of advice I would run them down a bit and buy something else, not anymore.

I've finally got my gearing almost perfect with 15 / 47, I might try 15 / 46 one day, but the 15 / 47 with the pirellis at 19 or 18 is fantastic

As a "light adventure bike my small tank bag is just right. It fits my maps, wallet, a couple of odds and sods, then there is a little clear top pocket for my GPS, and another zippered pocket for phone and glasses, bought it from 3rd gear on eBay for 20 or 30 bucks and just cut the heavy magnets out, the 2 straps left are solid.

You can see I did some up top weight saving mods, headlight, pipe, rear fender, mainly for enduro rides, but it helps the bike all round. The RMZ front guard is a bit of a modinizing touch as well.

Anyway I think the DRZ is the perfect value for me now, we'll see what happens in 12 months.

BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #16460
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Coolant - expansion tank question.

As some of you guys will have seen above, I've just bought an 03 , and while looking through the owners manual last night I read the following (copied verbatim from the book)...

The engine coolant in the radiator will overflow to the coolant overflow tank if the engine overheats.
Overflowed engine coolant goes back to the radiator when the engine cools.
If engine coolant remains in the engine coolant overflow tank, replenish the radiator with specified engine coolant.

My question is this, Is this normal to have a bit of coolant in the expansion tank as per the picture above [lowest part by the spring]
If it is all well and good, if not where do I fill the radiator up to I.E. are there marks etc, as the book doesn't say.

Please excuse my ignorance as this is the first water cooled engine that I've come across that doesn't apparently hold water in an expansion tank permanently , (supposed to remain dry???) and doesn't have simple upper and lower level marks.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #16461
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

That's exactly how much that was in mine today, I'll have to check my radiators too
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #16462
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
I get happier with the bike the longer I have it.

Up until today I still wasn't sure about my tyres, today I realised my Pirelli MT21's are fantastic for that bike, . It didn't matter if it was dry road, wet road and even flooded road, or wet or dry Forrest rd the tyres were floorless. I belted it up A Break and they were great, i had them at 18 or 19 psi. Coming back on Mt Mee road cars were aquaplaing, the Pirellis were rock solid. I had in my mind after a bit of advice I would run them down a bit and buy something else, not anymore.

I've finally got my gearing almost perfect with 15 / 47, I might try 15 / 46 one day, but the 15 / 47 with the pirellis at 19 or 18 is fantastic
+1 on the MT21s

Very happy with mine! I run them down to 15 front and 10 rear with dual rim locks. They perform admirably on practically any terrain.

DRZ400E Tagged
KTM200XC-W ""

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #16463
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 64
I have had the itch to 'upgrade' recently and put my KLX400S up for sale. Well, it's been two months plus, and very few lookers surfaced. I sold off the supermoto wheelset and Corbin saddle (stock saddle isn't bothering me one bit), and the bike is priced well under $2000. I was thinking about moving over to a WR250R, but now I'm beginning to rethink it. Do I really need to sell my bike (for the $1600 I'm trying to get), and spend another $2000 to get a WRR? If my bike really is only worth $1600, then hell, I'll just keep it, gear it down and run it till the wheels fall off. Take the dollar savings and buy a street bike.

Anyone else noticed a seemingly soft market for DRZs? They appear to be a great value, now. If I could DIY a wide-ratio gearset, the DRZ would be pretty damn close to just right.
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #16464
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
That's an excellent price for the KLX, but I think you're crazy for wanting to "upgrade" to a WRR for an additional $2k...

There's no damned way an extra gear is worth that kind of money. I don't get the obsession with having 6sp vs. 5sp. Yes, the DRZ could use another gear for the riding I do (too much asphalt between dirt sections), but does it *need* it? Absolutely not.

Yes, i realize the WRR is lighter, newer, fuel injected, and a Yamaha. If it was a 450, I'd have a different opinion but we don't get such street-legal fun on this side of the pond.

Just my $0.02...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #16465
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
Anyone else noticed a seemingly soft market for DRZs? They appear to be a great value, now. If I could DIY a wide-ratio gearset, the DRZ would be pretty damn close to just right.
around here the asking price has gone up from an average of 2500 up to around 4000, but the number available has dropped to almost nothing. during the summer there was always 6-8 or so for sale.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #16466
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Yes, it is normal to have a small and fairly consistent amount of coolant in the tank.
Quote:
That's exactly how much that was in mine today, I'll have to check my radiators too
Thanks guy's
Your replies are very much appreciated.
I'm much happier knowing that it's normal.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #16467
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:

I've finally got my gearing almost perfect with 15 / 47, .

15/47 is the way to go. I noticed the SPOT device on ur handlebars (right side) if it is, i dunno if u let it sit there while riding? if u do it's not a safe place to be. God forbidden u crashed hard u either loose it or u might be ejected away from ur bike. The safest place is backpack, i usually secure it inside a phone carrier & place it in da center on my chest protector, this way i am able to reach it with either hand. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #16468
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Your "spot on" about the spot, I have a pouch on the front of my back pack, it was a very cloudy day and I put it out on my handle bars in the open a few times to make sure my signal got through on the track log
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #16469
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Took out the drz today to test out the 16T from sprocket, seems like 1-4th gears are all great, but 5th gear takes forever to get up to speed, it pulls great from 55-80mph, but above that it keeps climbing really slow, to where the stock 15t would just pull much quiker all the way to the 90's+, maybe this gearing combo 16/44 is a bit too tall.

Also picked up this White Brothers pipe on Ebay, its a wide open pipe, much louder then stock,

With the Clarke 3.2Gallon tank i ran out of gas at 160 miles, reserve seems to have about 25+ miles or so.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #16470
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 64
When I went from SM wheels to stock dirt wheels, I left the 15/39 gearing in place. It feels pretty doggy to me. I plan to put the 44 tooth on the rear to gear it back down. I'm running stock E exhaust, FCR, and opened airbox with 120/90/18 D606 rear tire.
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote