ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #17146
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,190
Ok to take off in 2nd gear while in traffic? stock geaing 15/44 ''s'' model?

I find while in red lights or on the street in general, taking off in 2nd gear works pretty good, gets up to 30mph right away, and puts me in front of everybody.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #17147
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Hey all. My DRZ all of a sudden developed a real bad surging when the throttle is open about 1/3. Bike behaves like it is running out of fuel. If I open throttle more, surging goes away, but bike feels under-powered, even when I completely open up the throttle.

Here are a few things that happened prior to this.

1. Cold weather. I've never ran this DRZ in cold weather yet (got it just this fall). This might be the culprit, but how to fix it for cold weather, if its so?

2. Diluted gas with Sea Foam. I've been using Sea Foam on all my bikes without any problems. However DRZ is my first thumper. A friend of mine used to have a 125cc MZ Super Moto, and he experienced the same problem when we added a little bit of Sea Foam to his tank. After next refueling, without adding more Sea Foam, his bike was behaving normal, without any surging. I still have a good amount of gas in the tank, so did not refuel yet.

3. A week earlier, I left the fuel switch in the "primer" position, and rode the bike for a while like that. I then proceeded to turn the bike off and left it for a few hours, not running. After I came back, the bike wouldn't start. I completely depleted the battery, trying to start it.

At that point I noticed the fuel switch, and twisted it back to "ON" position. (There is no "OFF", only "ON" and "Prime")

I left my bike at my parent's house, took out the battery and re-charged it at home. Bike sat like that for a whole week.
After re-installing the battery, bike did start up, but after that it started to surge.

4. I have a feeling that it has to do with the carburetor, but its clean, as the bike been in the shop only recently, and the carburetor has been cleaned.

5. Could it be a fouled up spark plug?

Please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of experience, maintaining bikes, nor do I have space to take it apart. (I live in the apartment, and nobody that I know has an available garage for tinkering).

I usually take my bikes to the shop for maintenance, for any repairs needed. However with constant abuse I put on my bikes, the small repairs like these start to pile up and so do the costs.

I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop for this, and try to fix the problem myself. Of course, having limited knowledge, tools, and most importantly space where to work on the bike, I can only do so much, before I'm forced to take it to the shop.
Check your oil to see if it is fuel diluted! If it is most likely what is happening is the fuel vapors are being released from the oil as it warms up and the vapors are being sucked back into the intake causing the bike to studder some. The fuel most likely got into the oil from the o ring for the seat in your carb leaking. I replaced mine with a viton one that I got from the auto parts store.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #17148
dhb400
No Regrets
 
dhb400's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Jersey Shore
Oddometer: 189
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post

I took the DRZ on a ride on Sunday. It was mostly washes & various terrains. Here's one of my vids.

http://youtu.be/eSQRXwD_AVY

Nice video, looked like a cool ride.
__________________
Dave
2013 Husky TE 511

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #17149
Xylx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 84
DRZ E deal in NH from Govt

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Noticed this the other day. Click on By Location, then New Hampshire. Bike is in Keene. You have to register for the site and send them a dollar via a credit card or something. I forget, but it's painless. I registered a few years ago. Looks like someone could get a good deal on this bike. I would buy it for the parts alone at the current bid price if I lived in New England.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #17150
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer
 
Plane Dr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: North TX Metromess
Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
The valves are within spec, but on the tight side. I'm looking at replacing the enire valvetrain with a Kibblewhite stainless valve/spring/Ti retainer set, which I imagine (hope) can just be lapped to the seat (shouldn't be any funky coating on the stainless, right?). Though it's an SM, it sees a lot more dirt that tarmack, so I like the added reliability of the one-piece valves. Guess I'll start shopping! Thanks!
At the first check it is expected to have to reshim them. Pretty standard. But if they are still in spec, they are in spec. The valves on a DRZ should be checked just because. Then once you see them start moving then worry, till then ride it.

Do not lap the valves you will booger them.

I'm not sure how to define abuse. Valves go up and down just like they are intended. That said I do use most engines at the high end of their operating perameters.

I have been on TT and ADV a long time and there have been Kibble white failures, stock failures etc. When you don't know who installed them, or how, it brings the whole deal into question.

Yes Eddie has a vested interest in TT. I've been dealing with him for a long time and he does great work at a reasonable price and is a stand up guy. If you have a "guy" feel free, there are lots of good ones out there. It's all comfort. I had one guy that I let work on my RG500. No one else touched it. For the price of shipping, plus his rates were good, Eddie got my engine. I do everything else myself.

I personally love cool aid especially with Vodka. Looks Girly nobody suspects a thing....
__________________
01/09 DRZ470SSW more bits than necesary
2005 R1200 GS AKA The Mothership
2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin (gone)
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #17151
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post
At the first check it is expected to have to reshim them. Pretty standard. But if they are still in spec, they are in spec. The valves on a DRZ should be checked just because. Then once you see them start moving then worry, till then ride it.

Do not lap the valves you will booger them.

I'm not sure how to define abuse. Valves go up and down just like they are intended. That said I do use most engines at the high end of their operating perameters.

I have been on TT and ADV a long time and there have been Kibble white failures, stock failures etc. When you don't know who installed them, or how, it brings the whole deal into question.

Yes Eddie has a vested interest in TT. I've been dealing with him for a long time and he does great work at a reasonable price and is a stand up guy. If you have a "guy" feel free, there are lots of good ones out there. It's all comfort. I had one guy that I let work on my RG500. No one else touched it. For the price of shipping, plus his rates were good, Eddie got my engine. I do everything else myself.

I personally love cool aid especially with Vodka. Looks Girly nobody suspects a thing....
Agreed.

I do all my own work except for machine work. I have been burned in the past by a machine shop with my old turbo civic engine. Lesson learned there. I feel Eddie knows more about what works with these engines than most anyone. I also understand what the coating on the valves is for and what it does and have made my own decision not to ever put non coated valves in my head. Also when I need machine work done to my head its well worth the $40 round trip it takes to get the head to him and back.

I think he even runs a everyday special now on head rebuilds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #17152
focallength
?
 
focallength's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
You've been drinking a lot of that SSW/RHC/TT branded Cool-Aid.

TT is a commercial site with vendor forums paid for by the likes of SSW who have a commercial interest in pushing components like those from RHC for which SSW has an exclusivity deal. SSW has a vested interest in seeing his exclusive products held up over more commonly available and in many cases less expensive parts. TT and its moderators (SSW is one of them) have an interest in keeping its vendors happy so enforce the line...

Most of the few problems with KW springs and valves seem to come about through inappropriately matched parts, possibly poor workmanship and what I'd normally describe as abuse.
Ok, so what do you suggest? Kibblewhite them selves told me not to use their product in my engine. Whats a better valve/spring combo? SSW said they can give me a complete head minus cams for under $500, including the head. Im not a "eddie is god" guy, but it seems like a good deal to me, plus they do know the drz...
focallength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #17153
Jvs
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
why? no rain or snow forecasted...
I can barely breathe outside, no way I could ride! Don't even think my dizzer would start when it's this cold :(
Jvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #17154
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer
 
The Recycled Teenager's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvs View Post
I can barely breathe outside, no way I could ride! Don't even think my dizzer would start when it's this cold :(
Report from the coldest capital on the planet today!!

If you want COLD then how's about minus 41 Celsius with wind chill today, thats enough to freeze the nuts of you bike

Luckily my DZr is in my heated garage
__________________
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when your in deep water

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #17155
Rockaway
Gregtiger800
 
Rockaway's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Hey all. My DRZ all of a sudden developed a real bad surging when the throttle is open about 1/3. Bike behaves like it is running out of fuel. If I open throttle more, surging goes away, but bike feels under-powered, even when I completely open up the throttle.

Here are a few things that happened prior to this.

1. Cold weather. I've never ran this DRZ in cold weather yet (got it just this fall). This might be the culprit, but how to fix it for cold weather, if its so?

2. Diluted gas with Sea Foam. I've been using Sea Foam on all my bikes without any problems. However DRZ is my first thumper. A friend of mine used to have a 125cc MZ Super Moto, and he experienced the same problem when we added a little bit of Sea Foam to his tank. After next refueling, without adding more Sea Foam, his bike was behaving normal, without any surging. I still have a good amount of gas in the tank, so did not refuel yet.

3. A week earlier, I left the fuel switch in the "primer" position, and rode the bike for a while like that. I then proceeded to turn the bike off and left it for a few hours, not running. After I came back, the bike wouldn't start. I completely depleted the battery, trying to start it.

At that point I noticed the fuel switch, and twisted it back to "ON" position. (There is no "OFF", only "ON" and "Prime")

I left my bike at my parent's house, took out the battery and re-charged it at home. Bike sat like that for a whole week.
After re-installing the battery, bike did start up, but after that it started to surge.

4. I have a feeling that it has to do with the carburetor, but its clean, as the bike been in the shop only recently, and the carburetor has been cleaned.

5. Could it be a fouled up spark plug?

Please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of experience, maintaining bikes, nor do I have space to take it apart. (I live in the apartment, and nobody that I know has an available garage for tinkering).

I usually take my bikes to the shop for maintenance, for any repairs needed. However with constant abuse I put on my bikes, the small repairs like these start to pile up and so do the costs.

I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop for this, and try to fix the problem myself. Of course, having limited knowledge, tools, and most importantly space where to work on the bike, I can only do so much, before I'm forced to take it to the shop.
Sounds like you have a oil gas mixture in your oil reservoir. Done that on a dr200 by mistake. Check the oil level. It may be plum full with gas oil mixture.

If so drain the mixture completely. Then change the oil and oil filter. Take spark plug out and put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder. This will help with the lack of oil in the cylinder. Run it for 5 min. Then change the oil and filter again. This should get the oil where it needs to be in the engine.

I don't use the prim setting on my pet cock any more. Just chock it!!! For a minute of so.

I hope this helps.

Greg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rockaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #17156
Rockaway
Gregtiger800
 
Rockaway's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Hey all. My DRZ all of a sudden developed a real bad surging when the throttle is open about 1/3. Bike behaves like it is running out of fuel. If I open throttle more, surging goes away, but bike feels under-powered, even when I completely open up the throttle.

Here are a few things that happened prior to this.

1. Cold weather. I've never ran this DRZ in cold weather yet (got it just this fall). This might be the culprit, but how to fix it for cold weather, if its so?

2. Diluted gas with Sea Foam. I've been using Sea Foam on all my bikes without any problems. However DRZ is my first thumper. A friend of mine used to have a 125cc MZ Super Moto, and he experienced the same problem when we added a little bit of Sea Foam to his tank. After next refueling, without adding more Sea Foam, his bike was behaving normal, without any surging. I still have a good amount of gas in the tank, so did not refuel yet.

3. A week earlier, I left the fuel switch in the "primer" position, and rode the bike for a while like that. I then proceeded to turn the bike off and left it for a few hours, not running. After I came back, the bike wouldn't start. I completely depleted the battery, trying to start it.

At that point I noticed the fuel switch, and twisted it back to "ON" position. (There is no "OFF", only "ON" and "Prime")

I left my bike at my parent's house, took out the battery and re-charged it at home. Bike sat like that for a whole week.
After re-installing the battery, bike did start up, but after that it started to surge.

4. I have a feeling that it has to do with the carburetor, but its clean, as the bike been in the shop only recently, and the carburetor has been cleaned.

5. Could it be a fouled up spark plug?

Please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of experience, maintaining bikes, nor do I have space to take it apart. (I live in the apartment, and nobody that I know has an available garage for tinkering).

I usually take my bikes to the shop for maintenance, for any repairs needed. However with constant abuse I put on my bikes, the small repairs like these start to pile up and so do the costs.

I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop for this, and try to fix the problem myself. Of course, having limited knowledge, tools, and most importantly space where to work on the bike, I can only do so much, before I'm forced to take it to the shop.
Also check your air filter area. The air filter on my dr200 was soaked with fuel with the prim open on the petcock. Big mess!!

Greg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rockaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #17157
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer
 
Plane Dr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: North TX Metromess
Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Ok, so what do you suggest? Kibblewhite them selves told me not to use their product in my engine. Whats a better valve/spring combo? SSW said they can give me a complete head minus cams for under $500, including the head. Im not a "eddie is god" guy, but it seems like a good deal to me, plus they do know the drz...
Ferrea is the only other one I know. I haven't heard of any others. I drank the cool aid and have RHC valves, springs, cams, plus the o/s for the stroker.... When I bought them I bought straight from Ron. But I don't think Eddie marks them up any more than Ron did.

If you ride a BB Stroker and get carried away you'll pray to any God who'll listen.
__________________
01/09 DRZ470SSW more bits than necesary
2005 R1200 GS AKA The Mothership
2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin (gone)
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #17158
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post
Ferrea is the only other one I know. I haven't heard of any others. I drank the cool aid and have RHC valves, springs, cams, plus the o/s for the stroker.... When I bought them I bought straight from Ron. But I don't think Eddie marks them up any more than Ron did.

If you ride a BB Stroker and get carried away you'll pray to any God who'll listen.
Ron hamp valves are coated ferra valves.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #17159
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ryel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Noticed this the other day. Click on By Location, then New Hampshire. Bike is in Keene. You have to register for the site and send them a dollar via a credit card or something. I forget, but it's painless. I registered a few years ago. Looks like someone could get a good deal on this bike. I would buy it for the parts alone at the current bid price if I lived in New England.
wow, wish it was on the west coast, I would push that bid past $600!
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment."
Ryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #17160
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder
 
Bobby Ginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: N.E. FL
Oddometer: 928
y3p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
Ron hamp valves are coated ferra valves.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
__________________
2009 GSA 2008 Husky TE450 2013 Husky Terra
IBA 50407
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014