Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #17161
generatordave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well it's pretty dissapointing with the avail technology and the fact that you are buying something from a maunufacturer that the quality is so poor.

I am too stubborn to return the tank because of fitment because I want it to be on the bike but I am having to do alot of modifications to make it fit.
-The lower radiator bolt holes don't align ( I have to make a bracket for the right side)
- I had to trim my devol radiator guards at the top and still have to put some rubber sheeting to avoid chafing on both sides
- had to drill the fuel valve tube holes bigger to alow the longer valve tube to get into the tank
- I can see things being "off" a little because of slight variations on bike and tank But, this is way off.
- I did rinse/flush the tank out and got all the drillings out and installed a fuel filter to catch any strays
- My seat should be back in a week or so and that will be the next task.........see if it will mount ok.

I felt I did my homework on the tank prior to buying it and I feel bad for guys with two left hands that aren't crafty and this tank arrives at their door.

I researched the heck out of modifying the seat and hope I picked a winner there. I certainly hope I did. ( almost anything must be better thatn the stocker)

So its minus 15 here today and I am headed out to the shop for some more tank fitting

Gen Dave

and a kick ass 21' chris craft
generatordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #17162
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That could be a good price for a head... depending on what you're getting. Careful how you ask though or you could be shit listed like me.

My comments were towards the bashing that KW receives predominantly on TT. KW valves last okay, but not as well as a set of hardened valves.

I am using locally treated Ferrea valves with either KW or APE springs.
Well, it looks like the guy I talked to at KW was an idiot. SS KW valves will last forever, they are coated/impregnated like most other valves. The issue is people dobt properlly cut the head for the valves, most likely they just toss them in. one idiot killed his engine, now everyone at TT says KW sucks, unfortunately when I called I got the village idiot, instead of a tech.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #17163
BlueBiscuit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi,

First post! Just bought a 2009 DRZ-400S with only 329 miles! This thing is in great shape. This is my first dual sport and it's a blast to ride. I was going to get a CRF250L, but couldn't pass this one up. I find this bike to be very comfortable on and look forward to lots of ADV riding!

Rob

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D...23/2009DRZ.jpg
BlueBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #17164
generatordave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBiscuit View Post
Hi,

First post! Just bought a 2009 DRZ-400S with only 329 miles! This thing is in great shape. This is my first dual sport and it's a blast to ride. I was going to get a CRF250L, but couldn't pass this one up. I find this bike to be very comfortable on and look forward to lots of ADV riding!

Rob

Good Luck Rob, Lucky you looks like you can ride today !!

sub zero here in Vt
I have the same bike ( thumb back a couple pics) and am doing some upgrades but love it !

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D...23/2009DRZ.jpg
Good Luck Rob, Lucky you looks like you can ride today !!

sub zero here in Vt
I have the same bike ( thumb back a couple pics) and am doing some upgrades but love it !
and a kick ass 21' chris craft
generatordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #17165
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Well, it looks like the guy I talked to at KW was an idiot. SS KW valves will last forever, they are coated/impregnated like most other valves. The issue is people dobt properlly cut the head for the valves, most likely they just toss them in. one idiot killed his engine, now everyone at TT says KW sucks, unfortunately when I called I got the village idiot, instead of a tech.
Where did you get the info that they are coated? As far as I know the only valves that are sold coated are stock and rhc. The rhc valves are just ferrea vakves that ron hamp coats. Maybe you can get ron to coat kw's?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #17166
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Good to hear, because I got a great deal on a full set of KW valves/springs/retainers/seals. Just gotta find some place that can cut the seats....
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #17167
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
Where did you get the info that they are coated? As far as I know the only valves that are sold coated are stock and rhc. The rhc valves are just ferrea vakves that ron hamp coats. Maybe you can get ron to coat kw's?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
imageAll KPMI Black Diamond™ Stainless Steel Valves are impregnated by a special German process to .002" deep with a .0002" surface build-up to improve wear properties and reduce friction. This process provides resistance to corrosion and wear that is superior to that developed by hard chromium and electrolysis nickel plating. These valves are light and the profiles provide excellent flow characteristics.

talked to the head honcho, he apologised for the mis information i was given, the guy who told me even said he shouldnt have told me they wouldnt last...i suspect someones going to get a stern talking to about telling customers not to use their product
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #17168
JustGreg
Fast as Molasses

Oddometer: 326
Im well aware of the proper procedure for adjusting a MCCT on a DRZ. Im curious though as to the amount of threads everyone has showing on theirs. With a new Wiseco chain and a new APE MCCT, Im showing 1 1/4".

JustGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #17169
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I have the TT case savers,

my riding buddy/neighbor, not so much...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #17170
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Did he speak specifically to the hardening of the valve sealing surface? The quoted text seems more about the valve **stem**.
Dont know, the whole valve is black except for a small bare metal ring on top of the valve where the valve goes flush with the head. Seems kind of silly to just coat a stem and then paint the rest black...

Stock photo but thats what they look like

Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #17171
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Ok to take off in 2nd gear while in traffic? stock geaing 15/44 ''s'' model?

I find while in red lights or on the street in general, taking off in 2nd gear works pretty good, gets up to 30mph right away, and puts me in front of everybody.
All the abuse my clutch has taken, that should be ok, you're slipping it.... maybe 2x as long as taking off in first ?

I really like the oomph first gear has myself, and shifting ;-)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #17172
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Wolfman Rollie tank paniers

Anyone out there have pics of your Rollie bags utilized as tank paniers? I just might need to load even more weight upon my diminutive dual sport. Here it is with the rear paniers.
coarsegoldkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #17173
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Anyone out there have pics of your Rollie bags utilized as tank paniers? I just might need to load even more weight upon my diminutive dual sport. Here it is with the rear paniers.
Try 59DEN's bike

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761487

He'll even give you CAD drawings for how he gets them to stay there.... if you ask nicely

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #17174
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
I have quite a few drz400 videos on my channel, check it out! If any wants coordinates on the ride locations just shoot me a message.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wSOpekaSQ

www.youtube.com/wrath666child
That looks like a ton of fun! I really miss my thumper... and a place to ride it.
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #17175
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,336
A small upgrade

So I got the DRZ up on the lift and decided it was a perfect time to increase the footprint of the kickstand just a bit. For all the effort maybe I should have made it larger but then again I didn't want anything huge.
So I started with a big washer that I picked up at Tractor supply.

Then cut it out with the plasma cutter and dressed it up with a die grinder and welded it on from the bottom.

Then took the angle grinder to it and made it flat again.

Sandblasted it a bit to get the burned up paint off and then shot a little semi-gloss black on the bare metal...I will install it later.

This should work just fine!