User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #17266
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
long trips

so I have a KLR at the moment, not had i for that long BUT I seem to be riding more on the dirt than the road, it's holding me back a bit (compared to other bikes for eg) and it has been suggested to me that the ol' DRZ400 is a great dirt bike / dual sport....

My only worry is that it's not so good on longer rides on the road....

thoughts?

What's the longest trips people have done on their DRZs???
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #17267
Bad Daddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Cycra / HDB motorcycle hand guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwelch360 View Post
Does anybody have the cyrca brand hand-guards on their bike? I was looking at the Tusk brand, love the price, but didn't want to have to modify my stock levers to fit. When running cyrca brand will the stock levers fit without modifications?
Can help you with Cycra, but I just did the Highway Dirt Bike set up, and it is bomber. I did a top clamp, with holes fore a powerlet, and heater grip switch. Also the HDB mirrors.

Great product, fits nice, and works well with the BRP SUB mount triple clamp.

Little bit of fiddling to get it to fit with the stock DRZ odometer, but its all done.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #17268
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Carb first.
He said, hes cheap and dosent want to spend money. Im assuming a $600 carb is out of the question.

However if you had to choose one thing to upgrade id go with the carb too, aside from a bb kit (which can be cheaper than the carb.) The fcr mx carb is pretty much the single upgrade that will make a noticable difference. (hands down night and day difference, just tune it correctly, or it will kill your engine)

That being said if your cheap, id go with sprockets, get a 14/47 set for trail riding and a 15/45 set for street/highway use. Gears will make a big difference too. Get some knobbies for dirt and slicks for the street. A good set of knobbies and 14/47 gearing is a fun combo.

Oh and 100 miles on a 2 gallon stock S is pretty average

focallength screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 04:53 AM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #17269
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Does anybody have the cyrca brand hand-guards on their bike? I was looking at the Tusk brand, love the price, but didn't want to have to modify my stock levers to fit. When running cyrca brand will the stock levers fit without modifications?
Cyrca guards are great! They will fit with stock levers just fine. As with most bark busters, you have to putz around with both the levers and the guards during install to get the positioning to one's liking.

Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #17270
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
He said, hes cheap and dosent want to spend money. Im assuming a $600 carb is out of the question.

There aren't any cheap mods to get a seat-of-the-pants increase in power. An FCR is $600, a big bore is $500, cams are over $200, a header and pipe is $500, and none of these do much on their own. I would start with the 3x3 mod and proper jetting then maybe play with the gearing to move the power to the RPM range where you want it.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #17271
focallength
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
There aren't any cheap mods to get a seat-of-the-pants increase in power. An FCR is $600, a big bore is $500, a cam is over $200, a header and pipe is $500, and none of these do much on their own. I would start with the 3x3 mod and proper jetting then maybe play with the gearing to move the power to the RPM range where you want it.
Fixed

Seriously though a fcr will give you noticable gains, a full exhaust is like sticking a baseball card in you spokes, it makes you think its faster.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #17272
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Fixed

Seriously though a fcr will give you noticable gains, a full exhaust is like sticking a baseball card in you spokes, it makes you think its faster.

True but when you put "2" baseball cards in your spokes , now that is FAST!!!!!

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #17273
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
I just ran into a problem, took off the petcock from the IMS tank and installed it on the stock tank, but unlike the stock petcock whick the fuel line goes out straight down, this aftermarket one i had on the IMS tank goes to the side (fuel exit), and it goes out right by the chock on the carb, its very tight, so i cant get the fuel line in that spot, what do i do now?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #17274
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
I have cycra probends and they are by the best hand guards in my opinion. Plenty of space for stock levers.

As far as the debate goes on fcr vs stock. ... I took my fcr off and put a bsr on. I just don't have to fiddle with our ad much. There is a up top power difference but not as much as people say.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #17275
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Fixed

Unless, that is, you have an 'E' with the FCR, big cams, high compression and the snorkel removed. Then rejet said FCR carb. The low-end torque is *very* noticeable. The throttle response, too. Inmate SSgB has an '01 E with stock carb & pipe but open airbox. I have an '05 E with full Yosh exhaust and fat jets. Mine will leave his in the dust every time! Same gearing on the two - 14 & 47.

Mine will 'tractor' along on the single track without slipping the clutch quite nicely. He's riding the clutch and keeping the RPMs up to pull his along.

The E already has a better pipe than the S (I think; could be mistaken), so the improvement will be more significant, provided you can get air and fuel into the cylinder to complement the outflow.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #17276
focallength
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
I just ran into a problem, took off the petcock from the IMS tank and installed it on the stock tank, but unlike the stock petcock whick the fuel line goes out straight down, this aftermarket one i had on the IMS tank goes to the side (fuel exit), and it goes out right by the chock on the carb, its very tight, so i cant get the fuel line in that spot, what do i do now?
?
im confused, I dont know of any aftermarket tanks that come with petcocks, what is it off of and why are you putting it on the stock tank? I would suggest putting the stock.petcock on the stock tank.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #17277
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Are you using the stock spacer? If so, there's not much you can do. If not, install that between the tank and your AM petcock, should give you a little more space.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #17278
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,840
I just ordered one of these ( Trail Tech Striker Digital G.- Stleath version 712-301). I heard good thing bout it.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #17279
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
?
im confused, I dont know of any aftermarket tanks that come with petcocks, what is it off of and why are you putting it on the stock tank? I would suggest putting the stock.petcock on the stock tank.
It did not come on the IMS tank, was a seperate purchase, the reason i DO NOT want to run the stock petcock, is cause i want to have the ON/OFF/RESERVE feature, and not the stock vacume petcock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Are you using the stock spacer? If so, there's not much you can do. If not, install that between the tank and your AM petcock, should give you a little more space.
Yep, using the stock spacer too, the only thing that worked was routing the gas line around the carb intake boot and around it, so going around the intake boot right into the carb's entrance, its like 10+ or so inches of gas line, but seems to be working fine.

Im gonna try out the stock tank for a bit, if i do not like it, i will put on my IMS, so far the IMS is lighter, obviously holds more, and much easier to mount and run the lines, not to mention vents from the cap which is nice.

If the stock tank is over filled, does fuel pour out of its vent line on the buttom?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #17280
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
It did not come on the IMS tank, was a seperate purchase, the reason i DO NOT want to run the stock petcock, is cause i want to have the ON/OFF/RESERVE feature, and not the stock vacume petcock.

Yep, using the stock spacer too, the only thing that worked was routing the gas line around the carb intake boot and around it, so going around the intake boot right into the carb's entrance, its like 10+ or so inches of gas line, but seems to be working fine.

Im gonna try out the stock tank for a bit, if i do not like it, i will put on my IMS, so far the IMS is lighter, obviously holds more, and much easier to mount and run the lines, not to mention vents from the cap which is nice.

If the stock tank is over filled, does fuel pour out of its vent line on the buttom?

So why not keep the IMS and just not fill it , had this discussion before

Got the big IMS on mine and thats what I do but when I need to fill it I can

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote