Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #17356
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,591
Love my DRZ, great upgrade from the KLX250 I had before it...
Got out and rode some local single track today with a few friends...

You know it's a good day when you bring it home dirty with no broken parts

EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #17357
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Disagree. Keeping the weight low, in the instance of side racks/panniers versus top racks, lowers the CG, but it also increases the functional width of the bike. This may not only limit your ability to ride certain types of single track, but it brings whatever stuff you're carrying closer to the level at which large rocks, logs and deep water like to live.

If "the bike rides better in all conditions" were a true statement, there wouldn't BE any other way.
Guess I am not thinking full side racks and hard bags just small soft ones and a big tank, full or only partly filled according to need.
I ride single track quite often with a strapped tight Coyote bag on Precision racks, never had an issue with that set up.
Having dumped the bike up to only a hand guard showing with it this way, an oil change lube every thing and fresh gas then never had anything but some inconvenience with the usual clean up.

I suppose folks who don't mind kit up high do more road work or dual sport stuff (which I know can be pretty difficult riding).
I just seems spending money that way is counter intuitive but then as I said I was interested to know other opinions and my ideas are only my thoughts and choices
I am always willing to learn a better way if its easier than what I am currently doing.

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #17358
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
You are correct. We all know it.
Apparently not all agree with that though so I am keeping my eyes and ears open to see the majority on this.

I do appreciate different rinding styles and needs come into play here so I should have stated its my preference for off road and single track.
I trailer my bike and ride day trips not camping trips on it thats a reason for my lighter weight set up too.
Would not stop me packing stuff on the rear if I was to go camping though but would ride a more sedate style then

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #17359
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Can someone recommend a good place to buy OEM replacement plastic body panels for my 2009 DRZ400S? I've found a few that sell after market, but wanted to compare the price to original. Thanks.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #17360
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
Can someone recommend a good place to buy OEM replacement plastic body panels for my 2009 DRZ400S? I've found a few that sell after market, but wanted to compare the price to original. Thanks.
You want brand new? If you camp over at Thumpertalk you can usually find what you are looking for(used). Also Ebay has some.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #17361
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Yes, was thinking new. Already have used and thought I would give the girl a face lift. Thanks.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #17362
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Procycle, or chat with the dudes on the DRZ forum for new face lift

from Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #17363
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Disagree. Keeping the weight low, in the instance of side racks/panniers versus top racks, lowers the CG, but it also increases the functional width of the bike. This may not only limit your ability to ride certain types of single track, but it brings whatever stuff you're carrying closer to the level at which large rocks, logs and deep water like to live.

If "the bike rides better in all conditions" were a true statement, there wouldn't BE any other way.
You are correct. We all know it. Physics are one thing, spacial interferences another.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #17364
Jvs
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Oil change

Just changed my oil/filter for the first time and forgot to check the second oil filter o ring

Looks like I get to pull the filter out again to double check. Hopefully I don't have to drain all the oil again
Jvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #17365
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvs View Post
Just changed my oil/filter for the first time and forgot to check the second oil filter o ring

Looks like I get to pull the filter out again to double check. Hopefully I don't have to drain all the oil again
Just lay it on it's side.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #17366
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Love my DRZ, great upgrade from the KLX250 I had before it...
Got out and rode some local single track today with a few friends...

You know it's a good day when you bring it home dirty with no broken parts

YEP, im right there with you, had a XT250 before this, and am loving this bike, i hit the trails every weekend, a few pics from today's ride.

20+ miles into the hills

50+ miles into the hills

Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #17367
farkleface
ridin dirty

Oddometer: 122
Dead drz

So.........I put a charger on my drz and forgot about it for over 24hours. When I took it off the charger and turned the key, the bike is dead. No lights, no anything. Also, I noticed the charger was set for a 12v 12a charge rate, which I know is way too much especially for that long. So I checked battery voltage and it is reading 13.4 . I checked fuse and it looks good. I checked voltage at plug between rectifier/regulator and battery and it is reading 13.4. I checked voltage at plug coming out of R/R and there is nothing. I am guessing the R/R is maybe bad? Any help would be appreciated before I order the RR.
Oh, and yes I already know I don't know what I'm doing and that I am an idiot
farkleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #17368
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
I' thinking of buying a DR 400 and want some opinions about this as I aim to drive all the way south to TDF.
I'm 6 8" and normally drive a GSA 1200 so it'll be a bit of a change.
Still, it'll be easy to pick up when I drop it and i won't be caught speeding but and this is a big BUT will it work for me?
I obviously have long legs and I am thinking about a Renazco or Bill Mayer seat so they can probably give me an inch or two, seat height that is .
But the rest......
please chime in
Andy
The problem is that I can't check it out no DRZ where I live and also I live in Sweden an have to come over there first and I' like to go south asap, not waiting for a title for a couple of weeks.
I've got one spotted with a souped up engine and a luggage carrier and more carbon fiber than metal.
I've got both ( check my signature) I'm 6'3" and find the height to be good.
Remember when you get into some uneven terrain you want a little extra leg to put your foot down.
Thumper Talk is another great forum for DRZ info.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #17369
Jvs
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Just lay it on it's side.
Not a bad idea.
Jvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #17370
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleface View Post
So.........I put a charger on my drz and forgot about it for over 24hours. When I took it off the charger and turned the key, the bike is dead. No lights, no anything. Also, I noticed the charger was set for a 12v 12a charge rate, which I know is way too much especially for that long. So I checked battery voltage and it is reading 13.4 . I checked fuse and it looks good. I checked voltage at plug between rectifier/regulator and battery and it is reading 13.4. I checked voltage at plug coming out of R/R and there is nothing. I am guessing the R/R is maybe bad? Any help would be appreciated before I order the RR.
Oh, and yes I already know I don't know what I'm doing and that I am an idiot

Was the battery dead prior to charging it?

Don't forget about all the safety switches/interlocks... kickstand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, start/stop switch. And the one of relays may stuck... the blinker relay behind the headlight is multifunction, your start button goes thru it.

lights should still go on before startup, the R/R shouldn't effect it at that point
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote