ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #17476
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur
 
Tropic-Of-Canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
This is probably futile, but here is yet another noisy DRZ video...... This noise has gotten slowly worse this year, and its having more and more trouble in the cold......04 400S, 36000kms, read the description in the vid for more detail. I'm guessing the noise is a stretched timing chain maybe? where should I go from here? should i start with a leakdown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7m5tXrw_M
Well, I just checked my valves, and DS Dad, you were right, valves are tight... Here's what I found......

L .004 EX R .006 (.0079-.0118)

L .006 IN R .004 (.0039-.0079)

That would explain a significant amount of the noise, The poor thing is still hard to start, but once warmed up, she's still good as ever! I will deal with this ASAP. Still pondering whether to do the adjust myself or go to a mechanic...Again, it's my only vehicle.....
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #17477
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coarsegoldkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Oddometer: 485
Out and about today. Pics over on another part of ADV. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post20748917
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #17478
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Corruption Central, we call it NJ
Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleface View Post
The battery was low before I put it on the charger, but it had power to everything at that time also?? The charger did something to kill all the electrical ??


Yo FarkleFace, did you ever figure this out. Inquiring minds want to know. If not ask more questions


good luck
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #17479
Fantastic Mrs Fox
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 2
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from and the other post had the same effect on me. Your question didn't include anything concerning electrics or batteries.
People responding to a question often go off on their own tangent, voicing their own objections, biases, prejudices, etc... offering unsolicited advice on something unrelated... and you're no closer to what you wanted to know.
You need to guide the discussion in the direction that it needs to go. That might include responding to the posts which attempt to go directly to what you have asked and avoiding the addition of questions that are superfluous to the actual problem at hand. One problem at a time or the herd gets distracted.

This is not an in surmountable problem, but from your response it sounds like you're after a magical solution and that you need someone to hold your hand and guide you through. You'll have plenty more issues on a RTW trip and your inability to work your way through what appears to be a fairly simple problem in the comfort of your own home makes me question your competence or will (which counts for a lot more) to actually complete the task.
I was sat open mouthed reading this post - we are certainly not after a magical solution or any spoon feeding were just asking peoples opinions to help us make a decision, most would say that is how you work through some problems How dare you question our competence or will to do this trip it is all we have been living and breathing recently .

A big thank you to all the people who have given us some very useful info!!









Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
It didn't sound that way to me... more like a whine about people not answering the questions...

You're welcome.
Fantastic Mrs Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #17480
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Well, I just checked my valves, and DS Dad, you were right, valves are tight... Here's what I found......

L .004 EX R .006 (.0079-.0118)

L .006 IN R .004 (.0039-.0079)

That would explain a significant amount of the noise, The poor thing is still hard to start, but once warmed up, she's still good as ever! I will deal with this ASAP. Still pondering whether to do the adjust myself or go to a mechanic...Again, it's my only vehicle.....
I wouldn't bother adjusting. ..I'd just have the head rebuilt. If it's your only mode of transportation I'd maybe source another head and have it shipped directly to Eddie and have him rebuild it and then either sell or keep your original head once replaced.

If you can shim your own valves you can replace a head. I pulled the engine out of my bike to do mine to keep sand from falling into the engine but it wasn't necessary. I'd say it took about 30 min to get the engine out and to reassemble the head and get everything back in maybe another 2-3 hours.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #17481
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mark1150's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Wisbechistan UK
Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mister Fox View Post
I can only assume you've picked up all the additional information about my situation from my post on ABR, as I made no reference to my "riding buddy" or exactly what I was doing with the upgrade on my post on this thread.

At no point in either thread have I asked for an alternative to a kick start I am just trying to find facts out about the DRZ 400 cooling system.

However anyone with common sense would see that I must of posted the same question here because I didn't get the facts I require over there, so why on earth would you just summarize what was posted over there rather than answer the actual questions I asked.
A clue to your riding buddy might be found here.. www.mudandknobblies.co.uk - Going round the world on CCM SR40 motorcycles.

I'd also like to add that IMHO, removing a cooling fan isn't exactly an upgrade, and if someone doesn't like other peoples opinions perhaps they shouldn't ask in the first place?
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #17482
DR. Rock
Part of the problem
 
DR. Rock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: NYfC, yff
Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mrs Fox View Post
...this trip it is all we have been living and breathing recently .
A big thank you to all the people who have given us some very useful info!!
Looks like you're putting together a great trip. Stop by and visit the ADVentureLoft™ when you're in NYC. And say "Hi" to Gabe & Char next time you see them. Also, if he's still in the UK, you may want to pick Adam Lewis's brain about the DRZ mill as he's switched over from the DR650 last I heard.
__________________
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #17483
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer
 
Fantastic Mister Fox's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Bristol, UK
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
A clue to your riding buddy might be found here.. www.mudandknobblies.co.uk - Going round the world on CCM SR40 motorcycles.

I'd also like to add that IMHO, removing a cooling fan isn't exactly an upgrade, and if someone doesn't like other peoples opinions perhaps they shouldn't ask in the first place?
I aplogise then, your response felt like it was lifted straight off the other forum.

It's frustrating when you're trying to find out information and people appear to be critising decisions you have made. I know that most people are trying to help and that sometimes written advice can appear critical when in fact it is meant with good intention as it doesn't have the added advantage of body language

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
www.mudandknobblies.co.uk - Going round the world on CCM SR40 motorcycles.
Fantastic Mister Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #17484
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer
 
Fantastic Mister Fox's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Bristol, UK
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Looks like you're putting together a great trip. Stop by and visit the ADVentureLoft™ when you're in NYC. And say "Hi" to Gabe & Char next time you see them. Also, if he's still in the UK, you may want to pick Adam Lewis's brain about the DRZ mill as he's switched over from the DR650 last I heard.
Funny you should say that I was down at the new Zen Overland unit today adjusting the valves and working through the fan/ kicker problem. We're going to order 2 slimline after market fans and keep the kickers.

We'll def be passing through NYC as the brother in law lives there. In fact we'll be there in june for his wedding however the bikes will be stored in russia for this visit.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
www.mudandknobblies.co.uk - Going round the world on CCM SR40 motorcycles.
Fantastic Mister Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #17485
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur
 
Tropic-Of-Canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
I wouldn't bother adjusting. ..I'd just have the head rebuilt.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Would it not be more appropriate and cost effective to re-shim it, and maybe do a leakdown to see if it is still a problem, check clearances again in a few months, and if it has moved again or leaks, then rebuild?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #17486
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mark1150's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Wisbechistan UK
Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mister Fox View Post
I aplogise then, your response felt like it was lifted straight off the other forum.

It's frustrating when you're trying to find out information and people appear to be critising decisions you have made. I know that most people are trying to help and that sometimes written advice can appear critical when in fact it is meant with good intention as it doesn't have the added advantage of body language

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
I wasn't being critical in any way, just expressing an opinion.
All one can do in any of these situations is give an answer based in total honesty, or what would I do in a similar situation.
I totally agree about being unable to read someone's body language, or indeed the intent behind the words, however what I have found out about the people who have been kind enough to offer advice on this forum is that it is offered with the utmost integrity and good faith.
I can only imagine the mixed feelings of excitement, trepidation and responsibility that you must be feeling when planning an expedition of this size, to which I wish you the sun at your back, and a smooth and rememberable journey ahead of you.
Take care.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #17487
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha
 
Spacelord's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
I wasn't being critical in any way, just expressing an opinion.
All one can do in any of these situations is give an answer based in total honesty, or what would I do in a similar situation.
I totally agree about being unable to read someone's body language, or indeed the intent behind the words, however what I have found out about the people who have been kind enough to offer advice on this forum is that it is offered with the utmost integrity and good faith.
I can only imagine the mixed feelings of excitement, trepidation and responsibility that you must be feeling when planning an expedition of this size, to which I wish you the sun at your back, and a smooth and rememberable journey ahead of you.
Take care.

There's the problem, next time just tell em what they want to hear.
Spacelord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #17488
Fantastic Mrs Fox
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
There's the problem, next time just tell em what they want to hear.
I dont agree think that is just as bad as the 'my way is the highway' approach...as my hubby said sometimes it is hard to get points across on a forum and things can be taken the wrong way on the whole we have had some very useful and constructive advice from plenty of people on the subject :cool:

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
Fantastic Mrs Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #17489
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Baker City
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
I wouldn't bother adjusting. ..I'd just have the head rebuilt. If it's your only mode of transportation I'd maybe source another head and have it shipped directly to Eddie and have him rebuild it and then either sell or keep your original head once replaced.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me like 1 ex valve is .002 tight and the other is .004 tight, intakes still in spec, why rebuild the head? What am I missing? Is this a high mile motor? First valve check? Why would 2 tight valves cause noise?
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #17490
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Would it not be more appropriate and cost effective to re-shim it, and maybe do a leakdown to see if it is still a problem, check clearances again in a few months, and if it has moved again or leaks, then rebuild?
No... The coating has worn off the valve and it will continue to move.

Of you can shim them yourself its worth a try... All you'll be out is some time. Or the valve head could wear through and break off and destroy the motor..... Slim chance but it can happen.

If you have to pay someone to adjust the valves you'll seriously loose out... You'll pay to have the valves adjusted and I'd be willing to bet in less than 1,000 miles you'll be back where you are today.

I've been in your position... My bike did the same exact thing. I took my head apart myself to inspect the valves... They were screwed....huge groove worn into the intakes.

After having the head repaired make sure to clean the snot out of your air filter. My bike still had the original chain and sprockets on it when I bought it. Po said it had 4,000 miles on it. It needed the head rebuilt from the day I got it. I checked the valves for the first time in about 15,000 miles last month and they were still right where I left them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014