Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #17776
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
See-Three: I would say a chunk of metal got in between the gear and shaft. The gear got so hot it actually turned blue! All of those gears being chipped is really weird, I would get another motor rather than try and guess where all of the bits went.

Be sure to clean out your frame, there is a screen in there at the bottom.

Steve
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #17777
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
See-Three: I would say a chunk of metal got in between the gear and shaft. The gear got so hot it actually turned blue! All of those gears being chipped is really weird, I would get another motor rather than try and guess where all of the bits went.

Be sure to clean out your frame, there is a screen in there at the bottom.

Steve
I've been searching for the source of a chunk of metal but haven't found it (yet). I'm thinking that the gear that is now welded to the countershaft was thowing of shrapnel. the gear with the pitting mates up next to the welded gear.

Whats this screen your talking about in the frame? I hope it's not something i've been mistakenly neglecting
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #17778
See-Three
C3

Wow

I'm afraid to take a look at that screen.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #17779
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
really piss poor job of a timing chain replacement video... but it will get your head around it.... or a headache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO920_tj8GY

also, throw away the stupid auto tensioner, or you'll have to replace your chain, like me, at a measely 21K miles.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #17780
XJHero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Also interested to hear about this, my pump is leaking pretty bad, got a new gasket already but havent installed yet. thanks.
Anyone have a decent write up on this? I wanted to know if you needed to use sealant with the gasket to stop the leak, or if thats overkill and just throw a new gasket in.
XJHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #17781
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJHero View Post
Anyone have a decent write up on this? I wanted to know if you needed to use sealant with the gasket to stop the leak, or if that's overkill and just throw a new gasket in.
just put a new gasket in, theres no need to do a jury rig fix on a bad gasket. Why would you want to do that anyway? I can see if your in outer Mongolia and all you can find is some RTV silicone, but if you have access to a new part, put a new part in.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #17782
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post
Now I need to decide whether to rebuild the transmission or to buy a used ready to go engine and transmission. I'm leaning towards a used engine and transmission unit as my top end has 30,000 miles and I had just adjusted the valves for a second time... Also the idea of rebuilding my transmission and screwing something up and not know until everything is back together makes me
you can build a top of the line motor (434, hot rods bottom end, all new internals, hot cams, new top end etc...) for around $1500, thats if you replace everything.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #17783
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 110
ghetto fabulous color alteration

I somehow just found out about Plasti-dip... I did the grill of my truck and it came out tits, so I hit my fork lowers and front wheel real quick, and I am stoked how it turned out! I'll do better taping off next time, but it really looks good to me...here's a pic.
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #17784
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
^Looks great man!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #17785
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
really piss poor job of a timing chain replacement video... but it will get your head around it.... or a headache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO920_tj8GY

also, throw away the stupid auto tensioner, or you'll have to replace your chain, like me, at a measely 21K miles.
thanks for the vid.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #17786
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I was wondering if you could see the fuel level on the white tank or not.
I can see the level on my blue Clarke, but it is subtle - just a slight amount of darkening. Shaking the bike will make it noticeable.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #17787
XJHero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
just put a new gasket in, theres no need to do a jury rig fix on a bad gasket. Why would you want to do that anyway? I can see if your in outer Mongolia and all you can find is some RTV silicone, but if you have access to a new part, put a new part in.
I wasnt trying to jury rig it, i was talking about using a gasket, and sealant together for the water pump gasket. I heard that using just the gasket with no sealant can be the cause for a leak due to it not sealing properly.
After going for a ride today i saw its leaking pretty bad, and its not just the gasket, its coming out from behind that gasket piece too, right up against the case, which if i looked at the parts explosion right is the mechanical oil seal (2 parts). If it is that I would be seeing coolant in my oil right? Cause I checked anddddddd i got coolant in my oil....
And on that note, when I do the oil change, after draining bad oil out, should I try to flush the coolant tainted oil out with fresh oil before refilling, or just do the next fluid change alot sooner?
XJHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #17788
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post
Update:
I've finally gotten around to splitting the case on my drz. It had locked up on me going 70mph...

To my surprise im not seeing any catastrophic failure right off the the bat, but it doesn't help i don't know what I'm looking at.

Some pitting in one of the gears

On this guy the left gear appears to be fused to the shaft

Any thoughts as to what happened? Hopefully i diddnt split the case for no reason
Eddie Sisneros at Epic has enuff DRZ stuff to build you a new engine cheaply. Personally I would just have him build you a ACT WR trans and a 470 Stroker. That would net you about 60 HP and a WR trans for like 3k

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #17789
See-Three
C3

Quote:
Eddie Sisneros at Epic has enuff DRZ stuff to build you a new engine cheaply. Personally I would just have him build you a ACT WR trans and a 470 Stroker. That would net you about 60 HP and a WR trans for like 3k
Thats sounds like a blast but it's definitely out of my price range for now. I've decided to buy an inmates used drz motor thats only got 600 miles on it. While i've got the bike apart I'm replacing all bearings and having the front and rear shocks serviced. Should almost be like a new bike! and it's looking like I'll keep expenses under $1,400.

I am gonna hold onto my current engine with the hopes of rebuilding, But thats gonna take time and riding season is starting
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #17790
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
I just listed 2 seats for sale; Suzuki Gel Seat and Stock Seat from '06 DRZ400S

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post20942207

If anyone's interested in either let me know!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote