Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #18091
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
My buddy Dave dropped by today and gave me a free, barely used Pirelli MT43 (4.00-18) trail tire...I can't wait to go try it. He said he run it with 8 psi and have great traction especially on rocks (well that's what i ride).

I'll give you guys feed back bout that tire in say 2 weeks (my next ride). I like to know some opinions as well if someone has use it before I am sure they're plenty of riders here who favor that weapon .

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 07:31 PM
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #18092
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

For GPS/rd-book/ICO (cockpit stuff) etc... and rallies logistics (if u wanna go crazy on $$$ ) here's a site where they sell them in Germany.
http://www.dr-big-shop.de/400_Cockpit.html
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #18093
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Garmin 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
I am using a used GPSMAP® 76Cx got it for $80 off craigslist. It's made for marine use so it's waterproof. All the maps are outdated but I am using it for tracks for offroading and for backtrack use. I haven't used it much as I have been just following people around mostly. I have been starting to record my GPS routes on it and the battery life is great, It lasts a whole weekend of couple of hours riding on 2 AA battery. It's mounted via a ram mount off amazon. It sucks for turn by turn direction on the road but I'm not riding streets. It still works with Garmin Basecamp.
I have the same setup on my DRZ. You can download topos for free at gps depot. I have the whole state of Idaho. It's not as slick as Garmin's maps, but does the job.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #18094
Zukweld
Fabricator d'jour

Oddometer: 5
Hello Inmates, I think after lurking enough I finally caught the disease

This is my new to me 2001. Fortunately it came with a nice set of farkles. A Clarke tank, aftermarket carb, moose racing skid plate and rad guards, TT case savers, tail light, and bars. It has 10,000 miles and was ridden on dirt roads most of its life.

For my next tricks it will be getting a Leo Vince pipe, Acerbis hand guards, and new white plastics. We all know yellow is fastest, but I want a sleeper

Zukweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #18095
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
My buddy Dave dropped by today and gave me a free, barely used Dunlop MT43 (4.00-18) trail tire...I can't wait to go try it. He said he run it with 8 psi and have great traction especially on rocks (well that's what i ride).

I'll give you guys feed back bout that tire in say 2 weeks (my next ride). I like to know some opinions as well if someone has use it before I am sure they're plenty of riders here who favor that weapon .
We used them on our last Mobius trip, and I liked them a lot. We rode about 2300 miles, and they had maybe another 1000 miles in them. Unfortunately, the timing just isn't right for us -- we can get two trips out of a MT-21 or D606, and I'd prefer not to have to deal with a tire swap mid-trip, so we're back to MT-21 rears. They were outstanding on anything but mud / wet grass. We even rode some sugar sand, and it wasn't as bad as you'd expect. We ran high-teens psi (bikes loaded with camping gear), with rim locks and dynabeads -- one flat from a big-ass nail, and another from a seriously old tube at the stem. NOT the tire's fault. If I had the luxury of changing tires whenever I wanted, the MT-43 would be my rear tire of choice. -- btw, for the record it's a Pirelli, not a Dunlop.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #18096
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
-- btw, for the record it's a Pirelli, not a Dunlop.
Thanks for the info, I noticed my typo mistake , fixed.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #18097
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,513
KLX 400 thread?

Is there a separate thread for the KLX 400 or are they lumped in here? Yes, I know they're considered the same bike. And the ADV search function works as well as usual.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #18098
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Is there a separate thread for the KLX 400 or are they lumped in here? Yes, I know they're considered the same bike. And the ADV search function works as well as usual.

Yup It's here u can squeeze in this thread. Some call it the green DRZ .
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #18099
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Yup It's here u can squeeze in this thread. Some call it the green DRZ .
I'm planning to license the bike in N.M. or CO and need a speedometer. I can get a Vapor for less than a hundred dollars but wonder if a used factory unit from the KLX or DRZ would be less expensive, if I could find one.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #18100
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipe-out View Post
thanks. i was interested specifically in the amount of travel and it's implications with the different set-up, reason being there's a sm for sale here with 21/18 excel rims and talon hubs and i'm wondering which way to go.
no one? as a beginner i'm still struggling with the following and would appreciate your input.

the models of the s before '02 or '03 have front and rear travel of 260 mm, then with the e model suspension it's 288 mm front and 295 mm rear. ground clearance is around 315 mm (all according to specs).

the sm has 260 mm in the front (with the usd forks of course) and 276 mm in the back (to compensate for the smaller front wheel I suppose). that's almost 2-3 cm difference in travel compared to the newer s model (and 4-5 cm of ground clearance at 260 mm compared to the sm albeit with the 17 inch front wheel).

now my questions: in which situations are these differences noticeable? is it just relevant for hardcore enduro/cross? what's the ground clearance on the sm once it has a 21/18 set-up?

to what extent can the travel on the sm be changed when re-working the standard showa forks?

now i can get these numbers from the internet easily but i have no experience to "read" them. i appreciate every help! : thumb:
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #18101
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Owners Manual

Anyone have a scan of the owner's manual they might be willing to email to me? I just picked up an '04 S but the PO didn't have the manual. Mostly, I'd like to know how to use the functions of the speedo computer (and how to set the clock ) Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #18102
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
Anyone have a scan of the owner's manual they might be willing to email to me? I just picked up an '04 S but the PO didn't have the manual. Mostly, I'd like to know how to use the functions of the speedo computer (and how to set the clock ) Thanks
Been meaning to make an identical post. If one of you fine gents wouldn't mind PM'ng me as well, I'd be much obliged!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #18103
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Me too

Been meaning to make a similar post for a 2001. I'd really like instructions on the speedo/computer as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Been meaning to make an identical post. If one of you fine gents wouldn't mind PM'ng me as well, I'd be much obliged!
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #18104
leadthrower21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/460...l-speedo-assy/

Within this thread you will find the instructions for the speedo.

leadthrower21 screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 01:26 PM
leadthrower21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #18105
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Trouble licensing a DRZ 400S in WI

Hey all, I purchased a 2001 DRZ-S from a fellow in IL. The title says road/trail but the folks at the DMV said their records indicate it's a dirt bike. The vin has the S in the 4th spot, I have a friend that has a licensed 2000 with the same first vin digits licensed here. Bla bla bla bla bla and so on. It makes very little sense to me.

Long - story - short. Has anyone else had a similar hassle getting an "S" model licensed for the road in WI. If so, please PM me and let me in on any secrets you might have when I go to the DMV for the third time.

Thanks
BKWags
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote