Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #18136
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
It's ALIVE!!!! went to my buddie's house and pulled the carb out. My DRZ 400s wouldn't run for more than 10 seconds before quitting on me. Turns out the jets were clogged. Now it's new tires and signals.....oh, and my truck lite LED 5x7 headlight too.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #18137
Rwelch360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Anybody run a different top triple clamp?

Has anyone run a different top triple clamp? I am not crazy with the fact that the handlebar mount is part of the top triple. When I stand up to ride I feel like I am right against the handlebars (and I am not tall, only 5' 11") and that my nuts are higher than them. I think raising the bars and moving them forward would help making it comfortable to ride standing up, but since I can't just take the handlebar mounts off and find some with a different offset to bolt in place I am not sure the best option. I have seen some where you bolt a relocation bracket into the current handlebar mount and then bolt the handlebars into the bracket, but I worry about the stresses this places on the bolts seeing as it makes a longer lever arm to apply force into the bolts with. Any opinions?

Also does anyone make shorter levers? I like to ride with two fingers on the clutch, but can't pull the lever all the way in because it sandwiches my fingers between the lever and grip. I was hoping there was a shorter lever that I can run to be able to fully disengage the clutch without crushing my fingers. I ride mostly street right now so I never had this problem until I rode some muddy trails with my neighbor, I had to use clutch constantly to keep my awesome trailwing-42's somewhat hooked up while slip sliding along the trial. It was fun, but I couldn't stand up to ride, cause of the handle bar height/location issue also I think having shorter levers I would be able to keep a better hang onto the bars while riding.
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #18138
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,641
,, ^Trials bikes have levers like that. I learned how to ride on a trials bike and that habit has always stood with me.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #18139
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwelch360 View Post
Has anyone run a different top triple clamp? I am not crazy with the fact that the handlebar mount is part of the top triple. When I stand up to ride I feel like I am right against the handlebars (and I am not tall, only 5' 11") and that my nuts are higher than them. I think raising the bars and moving them forward would help making it comfortable to ride standing up, but since I can't just take the handlebar mounts off and find some with a different offset to bolt in place I am not sure the best option. I have seen some where you bolt a relocation bracket into the current handlebar mount and then bolt the handlebars into the bracket, but I worry about the stresses this places on the bolts seeing as it makes a longer lever arm to apply force into the bolts with. Any opinions?

Also does anyone make shorter levers? I like to ride with two fingers on the clutch, but can't pull the lever all the way in because it sandwiches my fingers between the lever and grip. I was hoping there was a shorter lever that I can run to be able to fully disengage the clutch without crushing my fingers. I ride mostly street right now so I never had this problem until I rode some muddy trails with my neighbor, I had to use clutch constantly to keep my awesome trailwing-42's somewhat hooked up while slip sliding along the trial. It was fun, but I couldn't stand up to ride, cause of the handle bar height/location issue also I think having shorter levers I would be able to keep a better hang onto the bars while riding.
I put on the BRP top clamp. It's set up for 1-1/8" Pro Taper CR Mid bars. The triple clamp is also ready for a Scott's SUB mount stabilizer, so it adds another 1.5" in height. Could have gone higher (CR high bend), but then I would have to make the bars about an inch narrower. They were already tapped for HDB hand guards, so I left mine this width. May shorten them, but for now, I like 'em. PM me for pics, if you like.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #18140
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Seat Identification

The PO of the DRZ I picked up recently threw in an extra seat. Can anyone identify it by the pics below? It's too tall/wide for me with my short legs but I'm curious as to what it is.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #18141
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
The PO of the DRZ I picked up recently threw in an extra seat. Can anyone identify it by the pics below? It's too tall/wide for me with my short legs but I'm curious as to what it is.

Thanks!
It looks mighty comfy to me. Is she for sale? Kinda looks like the seat from Mr Eds Moto those dude's on DRZ's in south America are using in the ride reports section.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #18142
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,670
Quote:

Also does anyone make shorter levers? I like to ride with two fingers on the clutch,.

ASV F1 SHORTY Brake & Clutch Levers Kit Pair Pack Suzuki DRZ400 DRZ400S DRZ400SM (Fits: More than one vehicle)

Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #18143
ADVGD
Coasting

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Has anyone run a different top triple clamp?
I think raising the bars and moving them forward would help making it comfortable to ride standing up
Very common, the taller you are the more uncomfortable stock DRZ400 bar positioning is for adventure riding/standing up. Installing a new bar with the right bend to suit riders height/riding style is my preference, this avoids having to use bolt on raisers which can look scrappy. Scotts Performance do a very nice triple clamp assembly for the DRZ400, you can then run fat bars and even more options open up for bar bends (Renthal, Pro Taper, etc), plus they look fricken sweet

This is my setup with Scotts SUB Stablizer, Scotts Triple Clamps and Renthal fat bars (Details and links here )

Quote:
Also does anyone make shorter levers? I like to ride with two fingers on the clutch, but can't pull the lever all the way in because it sandwiches my fingers between the lever and grip.
If your clutch plates and fibers are in good nick and your clutch is adjusted correctly then you should be able to disengage a DRZ400 clutch with 2 fingers and not crush your other fingers. You'll most likely find correctly setting your free play will cure this issue

ADVGD screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:11 PM
ADVGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #18144
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
So what's the best kit to get for my S wheels
Thanks guys
If you do a fair amount of water crossings these work well and also have the spacers - http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...zuki-DR-Z-400E, i am assuming the S wheels are the same as the E.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #18145
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I dug both of my babies out of the garage yesterday, the XR and my DRZ.
I'd just changed the tank and plastics over from metallic blue to the faster yellow on the DRZ :)

Both bikes enjoying what we all hope signals an end to the longest winter in living memory.

A loving shot of my darling, now all I need is enough time to get out on her.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #18146
Gadget678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
A loving shot of my darling, now all I need is enough time to get out on her.
My wife often refers to me being "Out with my girlfriend"

We're the opposite.... bloody long, hot summer.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #18147
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
My wife often refers to me being "Out with my girlfriend"

We're the opposite.... bloody long, hot summer.
Hi mate
I was looking through your link to the rally bike and was intrigued as to what the puck on a bracket is on both of your rear number boards, as I couldn't find a reference to them.

Nice bike BTW, I love the fairings.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #18148
Gadget678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
Hi mate
I was looking through your link to the rally bike and was intrigued as to what the puck on a bracket is on both of your rear number boards, as I couldn't find a reference to them.

Nice bike BTW, I love the fairings.
I guess you're referring to the Steg Pegz....

http://www.stegpegz.com.au/

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #18149
ADVGD
Coasting

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I like oem parts for that but I used All Balls brand before on my DR650 and they worked fine.
+ 1 for OEM

This article may be of interest if you are considering All Balls Bearings:

Choosing wheel bearings for adventure bikes - Avoiding the pitfalls

Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #18150
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
I guess you're referring to the Steg Pegz....

http://www.stegpegz.com.au/

Thanks for the info mate.
They look like a good piece of kit, I'll look into getting a set over here.