Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #18271
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
You probably looked at the pic without reading the text.

Closed side out... ie spring in...

You probably have them installed right.
I put a link to a scan of the page concerned, look at the bottom right of that page, it clearly states the garter spring is on the outer face of the seal.

Not sure what to make of that

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #18272
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post

I'm an idiot when it comes to anything electrical. The above is a power cord that came with a used GPS I just got. Any advice from fellow DRZ owners ad to how to best utilize it?
The red wire is the hot one (+) u must definitely make sure when u tab power from any source near the headlight make sure u connect it to (+) as well, the black is ground(-) u can connect that to any place on the frame. Make sure the fuse is there (tap power before fuse line duh) most gps's are low voltages 1 to 1.5v so ur fuse must not be higher that that or u can burn ur gps. I hope this helped.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #18273
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,751
The spring goes to the outside.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #18274
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Seems to be a language problem... 5b
Right!
Why would they be different.
When I took my wheel of originally one spring was gone and the rubber compound was shredded the other was getting in sad shape.

So what to do, what to do, that IS the question

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #18275
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:

I'm an idiot when it comes to anything electrical. The above is a power cord that came with a used GPS I just got. Any advice from fellow DRZ owners ad to how to best utilize it?
Looks like the same setup as on my 2610:

- red to power, black to negative; usedswitched power if you want the GPS to turn off every time you turn off the key. Use direct to battery or unswitched if you want it to stay on (but you risk running down your battery). Mine is hooked to 12v.

- angled goes to the GPS, the other, I believe is for audio, which I do not use. Remember that the power is on, so if you are not running the GPS, tape it off so it doesn't short out and blow a fuse.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #18276
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
I put a link to a scan of the page concerned, look at the bottom right of that page, it clearly states the garter spring is on the outer face of the seal.

Not sure what to make of that
The spring aways goes in the inside facing the bearings. I sold seals & bearings for many years...

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S

dasvis screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 05:18 AM
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #18277
mattzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question

Does anyone have a source for the stainless steel counter shaft spacers?

I contacted this guy, he is all sold out, doesn't sound like there are plans to make more. On top of that, shipping from the UK and the exchange rate made it a bit steep for a spacer.

http://members.multimania.co.uk/mgmo...z_spacers.html

I've also been watching fleabay for a while, no luck.
mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #18278
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Bugger!!! I went out and had a look... referred to the factory manual... I had it cocked about... spring out...

I look at them often enough that I should know better.

Funny though, Rad hubs on the DR-Z, Huskie and a few other bikes in the shed don't have these extra seals, however they do all have double sealed bearings unlike OEM Suzuki.
So a big thanks for all the responses on this

I just got off the phone with the mechanic who put them in (they sell and service those orange bikes).
Result is go with the springs on the inside and see what happens, if it becomes problem they will stand good on the seals and bearings.
They "always" put the spring inside.

Having seen the state of my old ones I find it stupid putting the spring on the outside, the dirt and water will damage the springs (in my case one disappeared)then allow dirt to get to the bearings and so on.

Thanks again folks

KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #18279
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Nice! You can get a new set of plastics for $100 on Amazon if so inclined

http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Plasti...rz400+plastics

Or just check here and Thumper Talk and you can probably find a decent set used for cheaper eventually.
I like the camo! I've often thought of desert camo on my 200, if AZ ever gets crazy and starts shutting down too many more riding areas...you know...switch to stealth mode.

For lots of dirt, I really liked the Kenda Trackmasters. They wear down pretty quick on the pavement though, I thought. Good price, and basically a knobby with DOT stamped on the side. I've been hitting a lot more pavement on my DRZ enroute to the single track, so had to give up the dirt tire performance by switching to some Shinko trail wing clone.

I've been pretty happy with them on road, and by running a relatively low tire pressure and gentle with the throttle hand, they've taken me through some pretty decent terrain. Like up this:

The price is right too.
Psycho
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #18280
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
For lots of dirt, I really liked the Kenda Trackmasters. They wear down pretty quick on the pavement though, I thought.
agreed 100% for the rear.

the rear TM II is the best DOT knobby there is in the dirt, imho.

but it rounds off in about 50 miles on pavement...and the knobs completely disappear not too long thereafter.

i found the front TM II to be an even worse dirt tire than the 606 front, though, myself. washes out like crazy.

the front uses the same tread pattern as the rear...it's an awesome tread pattern for a rear tire (for getting good front-to-back traction), but makes no sense at all for a front tire (where you need more side-to-side traction).

imho, the best dirt DOT pairing is a TMII in the back and an XCMH in the front. only problem is that if you ride on the road much, the TMII will not last long at all.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #18281
jcaledun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
what bars are those ?
They are the MSR KX-HI bars and have risers too. That is what the add from here says.
jcaledun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #18282
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
ok, thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #18283
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
I like the camo! I've often thought of desert camo on my 200, if AZ ever gets crazy and starts shutting down too many more riding areas...you know...switch to stealth mode.

For lots of dirt, I really liked the Kenda Trackmasters. They wear down pretty quick on the pavement though, I thought. Good price, and basically a knobby with DOT stamped on the side. I've been hitting a lot more pavement on my DRZ enroute to the single track, so had to give up the dirt tire performance by switching to some Shinko trail wing clone.

The price is right too.
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
agreed 100% for the rear.

the rear TM II is the best DOT knobby there is in the dirt, imho.

but it rounds off in about 50 miles on pavement...and the knobs completely disappear not too long thereafter.

i found the front TM II to be an even worse dirt tire than the 606 front, though, myself. washes out like crazy.

the front uses the same tread pattern as the rear...it's an awesome tread pattern for a rear tire (for getting good front-to-back traction), but makes no sense at all for a front tire (where you need more side-to-side traction).

imho, the best dirt DOT pairing is a TMII in the back and an XCMH in the front. only problem is that if you ride on the road much, the TMII will not last long at all.
The problem is I have no idea how much street riding I'm going to be doing. A buddy of mine has a CRF450X, and that's who I am going to be riding with a lot. We want to do some medium range DS type rides (like up the back of Mt Lemmon and down the front), also we have heard a lot of good things about Reddington, I was going to try to see if I can make a loop out of it, around the back/east side of Lemmon up to Oracle, up the Mtn and back.

I have no experience in the dirt, at all. So I'm thinking for right now I'll get a good dirt tire, (really liking the XCMH) and if I wear it out too quickly and don't bust my ass too often I'll gradually move away from a 90/10 towards a 60/40 or 50/50 til my tire wear/bust ass ratio is just right.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #18284
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Going back and forth....

Between trying to buy a used S or SM, my big hang-up is being afraid that the SM with dirt wheels wont handle aggressive off road....

Help!!!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #18285
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Between trying to buy a used S or SM, my big hang-up is being afraid that the SM with dirt wheels wont handle aggressive off road....

Help!!!
Get an S it can be perform good on both.